Cadet corps barracks building, Chełmno
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

A rare example of preserved 18th-century barracks, with very few buildings of its kind to be found anywhere else in Poland.

History

The building was erected to serve the needs of the cadet corps - a military school for boys - established in 1776 by Frederick II, the king of Prussia. The school was intended for the young men from various “New Prussian” provinces, i.e. the territories incorporated into the Prussian state following the Partitions of Poland. In 1787, the cadet corps complex consisted of 27 buildings in total. The main edifice was originally adorned by a profusion of sculptural decorations that filled the tympanum of the central pseudo-avant-corps. During the period of the Duchy of Warsaw, the school remained active, albeit under Polish administration. In 1815, the administration of the cadet corps was once again taken over by the Prussian state authorities. In 1890, the cadet corps was moved to the city of Koszalin. During the period of the Second Polish Republic, in the years 1926-1936, the buildings served the needs of the 2nd Polish Cadet Corps. After World War II came to an end, the former cadet corps complex was converted into council housing.

Description

The edifice forms part of the city block bordering with the 22 Stycznia street to the north. The two-storey building was designed on an elongated rectangular floor plan. Three basement chambers underneath its western section feature vaulted ceilings of the barrel type. The interiors layout has been substantially remodelled since the edifice was built; originally, it has featured a single-bay layout with a northern hallway leading alongside the rooms as well as a central vestibule stretching from one side of the building to the other. The front façade follows a 28-axial layout, while the façade overlooking the rear yard has 24 axes of symmetry in total, its two outermost axes having been obscured by a new wing positioned alongside Hallera street. The side façades of the former cadet corps building follow a three-axial layout. A three-axial central pseudo-avant-corps projects from the front façade, accentuated by four giant order pilasters and topped with a triangular pediment. The entrance is topped with a semi-circular arch, flanked by Ionic engaged columns and crowned with a segment-headed pediment. At the top of the façade there is a profiled crowning cornice. The building is covered with a gable roof with a jerkin head at the eastern side. The interior has undergone substantial alterations throughout the years.

Limited access to the building. The structure can be viewed from the outside.

compiled by Adam Paczuski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Toruń, 18-11-2014.

Bibliography

  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce. Vol. XI. Dawne województwo bydgoskie. Issue 4. Dawny powiat chełmiński. Prepared by Teresa Mroczko, published by the Institute of Art of the Polish Academy of Sciences (IS PAN), Warsaw 1976
  • Adam Paczuski, Wojciech Romaniak, Dokumentacja historyczno-konserwatorska zespołu staromiejskiego Chełmna, Regional Centre for Research and Documentation of Historical Monuments in Toruń, Toruń 2004 r.

General information

  • Type: residential building
  • Chronology: 4. ćw. XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: 22 stycznia , Chełmno
  • Location: Voivodeship kujawsko-pomorskie, district chełmiński, commune Chełmno (gm. miejska)
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area