Novum Castrum, castrum Paczkow, Chałupki
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl
photo

The burgstall is an example of late-mediaeval fortified architecture.

Location and description

The archaeological site is located in the area known as the Niemcza-Strzelin Hills, south of the centre of the village of Chałupki, in the waterlogged meadows by the Nysa Kłodzka river.

All that remains of the former castle today is the motte surrounded by a rampart and moat, its dimensions being 60 x 100 metres. The motte rises about 3 metres above the ground level.

History

Based on the limited archaeological research performed so far, one may tentatively state thet the hillfort in Chałupki dates back to the period between the late 13th century and the early 16th century.

The fortified complex in Chałupki was first mentioned in written sources in 1295, where it is referred to as the Novum Castrum - the seat of castellan Piotr from Lubnów. In 1299 and in subsequent years, on the other hand, references are made in written sources to a place called the Castrum Paczkow. The castle changed hands on many occasions, its owners including the successive dukes of Ziębice, Jost - a Moravian burgrave, Wacław - a Wrocław bishop, Pecze Beyer); in the end, the castle was seized and taken over by a pack of marauder knights. In 1440, the castle - which remained in the hands of a rogue knight named Zygmunt con Reichnau at the time - was successfully beseiged by Jan Kruszyna von Leuchtenberg - the alderman of the Duchy of Jawor and Świdnica, who had allegedly taken to brigandage him-self. This prompted the Wrocław burghers to organise a raiding party in 1443, led by Wilhelm of Opava. The fortress was ultimately razed to the ground in 1509 at the order of Jan Turzon, the bishop of Wrocław. What was left of the castle was damaged even further in the course of the Thirty Years’ War. It was only in 1832, however, that the ruins (including the tower) were finally torn down.

Condition and results of archaeological research

No comprehensive archaeological excavations or architectural research have been carried out on the site. A site survey was carried out in 1964 and 1968; however, the results thereof have never been made public. Surface surveys of the site within the framework of the ‘Archaeolog-ical Picture of Poland’ project were carried out in 1984.

In the course of the survey, a number of discoveries were made, including fragments of a pe-ripheral wall and a cylindrical tower as well as ceramic fragments, stove tiles, metal artefacts, animal bones and fragments of handmade frogged bricks. In the course of surface surveys of the site within the framework of the ‘Archaeological Picture of Poland’ project (1984), no historical materials were found.

Due to the absence of comprehensive research, it is difficult to determine numerous issues today, such as what had been the original layout of the complex.

The site is open to visitors. It is marked with a stone information plaque. A “yellow” tourist route leads through Chałupki (Ziębice - Osina Wielka - Starczówek - Lubnów - Chałupki - Paczków).

compiled by Donata Trenkler, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 8-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Archaeological Picture of Poland, area 93-28, sheet 1/1.
  • Boguszewicz A., Corona Silesiae. Zamki Piastów fürstenberskich na południowym pograniczu księstwa jaworskiego, świdnickiego i ziębickiego do połowy XIV wieku, Wrocław 2010, pp. 199-200;
  • Kajzer L., Kołodziejski S., Slam J., Leksykon zamków w Polsce, Warsaw 2002, pp. 122-123.

General information

  • Type: hillfort
  • Chronology: koniec XIII w. – początek XVI w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Chałupki
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district ząbkowicki, commune Kamieniec Ząbkowicki
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area