St Jerome parish church, Bytom Odrzański
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

St Jerome parish church

Bytom Odrzański

photo

The oldest architectural structure preserved within the area of Bytom Odrzański.

History

The construction of the current church was preceded by the existence of the St Stephen’s Church erected in the late 11th century or in the early 12th century, probably within the boundaries of the ancillary settlement adjacent to a fortified centre. The St Jerome Church was built in the vicinity of the south-western corner of the Market in the 14th century. The then building was made of stone and brick, consisted of one nave, with a clearly separated chancel section. In the 15th century a tower was added to the west. It was extended upwards between 1608 and 1611, and then crowned with a bulbous dome with a lantern. Later, the Baroque dome was replaced with a tented dome. Between 1522 and 1654 when the church was used by Protestants, the chancel section was extended sideways and upwards. Furthermore, two chapels, sacristy and annexes were added. The multi-storey annexes house arcaded galleries facing the church interior. In the 16th-18th centuries the church was covered with barrel vaults.

Description

The St Jerome Church is an aisleless building flanked by a tower with a square base on the western side. Its body is capped with a gable roof with a hip end and a tower with a tented dome. The north side of the building adjoins porches with staircases, one of which features a pointed-arch fault portal dating from the 15th-16th century. On the southern side there are a sacristy and the St Joseph’s chapel with a crypt. The windows of the nave are topped with a segmental arch. The main entrance on the ground floor of the tower is framed by a pointed-arch fault portal. In addition to barrel vaults, the remains also include groin vaults covering the sacristy and chapel. The church is dominated by Baroque fixtures and fittings from the 17th-18th century: side altars, main altar with the painting of St Jerome, ambo, sculptures of St Barbara and St Apollonia. The older Renaissance elements include tombstones of Georg von Schoenaich, owner of Bytom Odrzański, and Anna von Braun, sculptured by Caspar Berger from Legnica. On the outside, the building features pointed-arch, profiled ceramic portals, a stone slab depicting the figure of a noblewoman, stone penitential crosses engraved with murder weapons (sword, dagger, spear and shovel) and embedded in the corners of the tower walls.

The monument is available to visitors.

Compiled by dr Krzysztof Garbacz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 29-09-2014 r.

Bibliography

  • Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, t. 2: Powiaty: żarski - żagański - nowosolski - wschowski, Zielona Góra 2014, s. 255-256, fot. 138.
  • Kowalski S., Miasta Środkowego Nadodrza dawniej. Historia zapisana w zabytkach, Zielona Góra 1994, s. 23-24.
  • Kowalski S., Zabytki architektury województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2010, s. 51-52.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: XIV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Kolbego 3, Bytom Odrzański
  • Location: Voivodeship lubuskie, district nowosolski, commune Bytom Odrzański - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area