Church of the Assumption of Blessed Virgin Mary, Bystrzyca Górna
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Church of the Assumption of Blessed Virgin Mary

Bystrzyca Górna

photo

A Gothic church extended during the 20th century.

History

  • ca. mid- 14th century - construction of the church
  • 1617 — alteration works
  • 1854 - alteration works
  • 1950s and 1970s - restoration works
  • 1980s - extension works
Description

The village of Bystrzyca Górna - a typical Waldhufendorf with houses arranged along a single axis - stretches alongside the Bystrzyca river, about 8 kilometres south-west of Świdnica. The church is located on a slope in the western part of the village, on the northern side of the main road.

It was erected around the mid- 14th century. The church was later redesigned in 1617, when its tower received a bulbous cupola, as well as in 1854, with subsequent renovation works taking place during the 1950s and 1970s . In the 1980s, the nave of the church was substantially extended.

Before the commencement of extension works, the church was a single-nave structure designed on a rectangular floor plan, with a pentagonally terminated chancel to the east, featuring a Gothic portal in its eastern wall. A tower adjoins the southern wall of the nave; it is an octagonal structure with a square base, topped with a bulbous cupola with an openwork lantern. The sacristy is located on the opposite side of the nave. The nave features a wooden ceiling supported by a pair of crossbeams. The chancel features a vaulted ceiling of the groin type. The church also features a Late Gothic rood arch.

During the 20th century, the nave was extended towards the west and widened towards the north and the south. The roofs covering the individual sections of the church are of the gable type (with a jerkin head on the western side), clad with roof tiles. A number of Renaissance tomb effigies incorporating the portrayal of recumbent human figures are embedded in the walls of the church. The fixtures and fittings are a mix of Gothic Revival and modern items.

Next to the church there is an old cemetery (no longer in use), surrounded by a stone wall with a small gate. The former rectory is located west of the church, in its immediate vicinity.

The church is usually closed; it may be viewed from the outside without limitations.

compiled by Krzysztof Czartoryski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 18-08-2015.

Bibliography

  • Słownik geografii turystycznej Sudetów, vol. 10, M. Staffa (ed.), Wrocław 2005

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: ok. poł. XIV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Bystrzyca Górna
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district świdnicki, commune Świdnica
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area