Parish Church of the Holy Trinity, Byczyna
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish Church of the Holy Trinity

Byczyna

photo

The church is the second oldest Roman Catholic temple in Byczyna. The first one originating in the mediaeval times was taken over by the Evangelical community in 1556.

History

The construction of the Holy Trinity Church is linked to the reconstruction of the town after a major fire in 1757. Much of the wooden housing of the settlement perished, including a wooden Roman Catholic church of 1712. The new stone temple (Baroque) was designed by Johann Martin Pohlmann.

Description

The church sits in the west part of the city and is surrounded by a brick wall. The brick structure is made up of the nave and a narrower and lower, three-sided chancel. A bell tower is merged with the body of the nave from the west while a tower staircase adjoins the church from the south. The nave is covered with a high hipped roof with a ridge; the ridge of the chancel is slightly below; the sacristy has a gable roof - all covered with ceramic tiles. The towers are topped with cupolas covered by metal sheet. The plastered façades are divided into panels.

The interior features a barrel vault on arches. The walls are articulated by pilasters. The late Baroque altar with the statues of St John of Nepomuk, St Hedwig and two bishops features a painting of the Holy Trinity. The Rococo side altars are dedicated to St Joseph and St John. The Baroque baptismal font resembles a cornucopia supported by an angel, and its cover exhibits a carved group of the Baptism of Christ. The pulpit and confessional are also original. On the choir, behind a concave and convex line of the railing, there is a late classicist organ.

The monument is available to visitors.

Compiled by Joanna Szot, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 01-10-2014 r.

Bibliography

  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, t. VII: Województwo opolskie, z. 4: Powiat kluczborski, oprac. T. Chrzanowski, A. Ciechanowiecki, Warszawa 1966.
  • Kreuzburg. Stadt und Kreis in Oberschlesien. Geschichte und Erinnerung, Bearb. R. Dette, Duderstadt 1990.
  • Lutsch H., Verzeichnis der Kunstdenkmaeler der Provinz Schlesien, Bd. 4: Die Kunstdenkmaeler des Reg.-Bezirks Oppeln, Tl. 1, Breslau 1890.
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warszawa 2006.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 3 ćw. XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Kościelna 5, Byczyna
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district kluczborski, commune Byczyna - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area