St Bartholomew’s Church, Burgrabice
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

St Bartholomew’s Church

Burgrabice

photo

The church in Burgrabice, besides the Gothic background, has a very interesting interior design with the central body in the form of a tower and some preserved elements of the original Baroque fittings: the main altar, side altars and organ as well as Baroque-like pews. In addition, the façades of the adjacent funeral chapel feature embedded Renaissance tombstones with bas-relief figures, probably transferred from the church during its extension in the 20th century.

History

The first mention of the church in Burgrabice goes back to the mid-mid-15th century. The existing temple was raised in the 16th century. Around 1720, a sacristy and porch were added on the south side of the church and the interior got a vaulting. In the early 20th century, the tower was demolished and replaced with the so-called central building. The church was re-consecrated in 1924. In the mid-19th century, a classicistic funeral chapel was erected, and in 1878 pillar-like shrines were incorporated into the surrounding wall with the Stations of the Cross.

Description

The church is located in the centre of the town on a square plot. West of the church, there is a cemetery; east of it, next to the chancel, a classicistic funeral chapel built in the first half of the 19th century. The area around the church is walled in, the wall being partly plastered with a gate on the church axis.

The church is oriented towards the east; it has a buttressed chancel with a three-sided termination, rectangular sacristies on both sides (the old one - now a chapel and porch, and the new one) and a rectangular nave. From the south, a quadrilateral porch and a round staircase border with the last bay of the nave. In the early 20th century, there was still a tower on the west side. It was demolished in the years 1913-1914 and replaced with the central building with the entrance on the axis.

The church is made of brick, rests on a stone basecourse and is partly supported by buttresses. it is plastered and the rotunda façade is adorned with rusticated pilasters. The lights and doors are topped with full arches in plaster surrounds. The body of the church is covered with double-pitched roofs; a lean-to roof is seen over the sacristy. The rotunda is covered with a dome with ox-eye windows, topped with a bulbous cupola with an octagonal lantern.

The west façade has a door opening in surrounds with a keystone, enclosed with a portal with an interrupted pediment which contains a relief medallion with the scene of the martyrdom of St Bartholomew and the date 1914. The porch located in the south façade is topped with a gable with volutes; the gable exposes a medallion with the date 1720.

The interior of the temple is covered with barrel vaulting with lunettes with the 20th-century decorative floral paintings. The ceiling of the nave and chancel features medallions with figural representations. The nave walls are partitioned by pilasters supporting the sections of a prominent cornice. On the west side, there is a choir planned on a circle section, supported by four pillars.

Out of the Baroque interior fittings, only the altars have survived: the main altar (18th century), flanked by the relief statues of Sts Peter and Paul placed on consoles and two side altars with the statues of St Mary Magdalene and St John the Evangelist and St Anne and St Joachim. The interior also boasts the organ casing with curtains and openwork side sections, a set of pews, a confessional and a 19th-century pulpit and images of the Stations of the Cross.

The monument is available to visitors.

Compiled by Aleksandra Ziółkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 15-01-2015 r.

Bibliography

  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. VII: Województwo opolskie, z. 9: Powiat nyski, oprac. T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, Warszawa 1963, s. 7-8.
  • Lutsch H., Verzeichnis der Kunstdenkmäler der Provinz Schlesien, t. 4: Die Kunstdenkmäler des Reg. Bezirks Oppeln, Breslau 1892, s. 68.
  • Karta ewidencyjna zabytku architektury - Kościół parafialny pw. św. Bartłomieja w Burgrabicach, oprac. J. Prusiewicz, 2004, Arch. WUOZ w Opolu.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: XVI w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Burgrabice
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district nyski, commune Głuchołazy - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area