Parish Church of St Stanislaus, Buków
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish Church of St Stanislaus

Buków

photo

A Gothic church surrounded by an old cemetery.

History

  • 1260 - first written record of the church
  • 14th century — construction of the nave and tower
  • 19th century - renovation works
  • 1960s and 1970s - restoration works
  • 2014 - roof cladding replacement
Description

Buków is a linear village located north of the large reservoir known as Mietkowskie Lake. The church of St Stanislaus is located in the southern part of the village.

The first mentions of the church date back to 1260; its nave and tower were subsequently redesigned during the 14th century. In the course of subsequent construction works during the 18th century, a pair of chapels were added to the northern and southern sides of the nave.

The church underwent renovation works on numerous occasions, including in the 19th century as well as in 1963, 1966, 1973 and 1978-1980.

The church is a single-nave building with a rectangular chancel to the east, ending in a semi-hexagonal apse. The nave is flanked by symmetrical chapels - a layout which may, at first glance, resemble a transept. On the northern side of the chancel there is a sacristy covered with a mono-pitched roof which is in fact an extension of one of the slopes of the chancel roof. A porch adjoins the southern side of the chancel. A tower designed on a square floor plan and topped with a crenellated parapet and a brick spire adjoins the nave to the west. The nave is covered with a flat wooden ceiling; the chancel, on the other hand, features a cross-rib vault. The nave and the chancel are separated by a pointed rood arch. The gable roofs of the church are clad with ceramic roof tiles.

The interior fixtures and fittings are predominantly Baroque in style, including the main altarpiece and two side altarpieces, the pulpit, the sculpted figures, the oil paintings as well as fragments of polychrome decorations in the chapel. In addition, the church also features Romanesque stone detailing and a Gothic door with original iron fittings.

The church is surrounded by the old cemetery (no longer in active use), surrounded by a circular stone wall. The wall itself features two small access gates; the northern gate, which used to lead to the rectory, is particularly interesting in terms of form. This double gate, topped with segmental arches and incorporating both a large main gate and a small wicket gate, is no longer in active use. Fragments of a line of age-old trees, mostly present in the south-western part of the yard, can still be seen standing along the inner side of the wall.

The church is usually closed; it may be viewed from the outside without limitations.

compiled by Krzysztof Czartoryski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 17-08-2015.

Bibliography

  • Słownik geografii turystycznej Sudetów, vol. 20, M. Staffa (ed.), Wrocław 2005

General information

  • Type: public building
  • Chronology: 1260 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Buków
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district świdnicki, commune Żarów - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area