Palace complex - Zabytek.pl
woj. wielkopolskie, pow. obornicki, gm. Rogoźno - obszar wiejski
In the 2nd half of the 19th century, the estate belonged to a German family, the von Treskows. It was subsequently subdivided into parcels allocated to German colonists; it started serving different purposes, which remains visible to this day in the local cultural landscape.
The oldest sources mentioning the village of Budziszewko (referring to it as “Budziszewo”) come from 1365. The ownership of the estate was granted by King Casimir the Great to Przecław of Margonin from the Grzymała family, a judge from Poznań. The new owners took a new family name — “Budziszewski”, derived from the name of the village. In the 18th century, the owners of Budziszewko were the Tomicki family. In 1755, Władysław Tomicki, miecznik (“sword-bearer” — an honorary title) of Poznań, founded the still-existing wooden Church of St James in Budziszewko. In the 19th century, the owners of the Budziszewko estate were the Łubieński family, who built a classical palace in the early 19th century. It underwent major modifications in the 2nd half of the 19th century. In 1831, the great poet Adam Mickiewicz stayed in the palace as a guest of Józef and Konstancja Łubieński. Józef’s heir, Franciszek Łubieński, having run up substantial debts, had to sell the estate of Budziszewko to the German family von Treskov, who agglomerated in their hands vast lands that used to be Polish private, royal, and church property. Due to the subdivision of land into parcels, effected by the contemporary Prussian Partition authorities before the outbreak of World War I and related to the promotion of German settlement on Polish lands, purchased or confiscated, the estate and village of Budziszewko, covering and area of several thousand hectares, was split into smaller parts. The immediate vicinity of the palace started being used for different purposes: the driveway and part of the park in front of the palace were converted into a settlement parcel for a German colonist and the northern part of the park, covering about one third of its total area, was separated and handed over to the local Evangelical community for the purpose of the construction of a pastor’s house (currently used as a rectory of the Church of St James). As early as in 1878, von Treskov attempted to take over the Roman-Catholic Church of St James and use it for the purposes of German Protestants, however, by court order, the church was returned to Catholics. As a result, von Treskov adapted some of the palace rooms to serve as an Evangelical chapel, thus addressing the religious needs of local German settlers. The walls of some rooms on the first floor (including the drawing room) had to be dismantled; the ground floor rooms were adapted for use as a sacristan’s flat; and a bell tower containing three bells was erected by the palace. After 1919, some of the German colonists abandoned their farms and moved to Germany. In 1933, the palace was adapted to meet the needs of a newly-founded local primary school. The pastor’s house with the surrounding area, in turn, was converted into a rectory of the nearby Roman-Catholic church. In 1968, the park was divided with wire netting into a public (rural) section, including the rectory building, and a school section, functioning as a sports and recreation facility of the local primary school, built in the 1960s and bearing the name Szkoła Tysiąclecia (“Millennial School” — in 1966, Poland celebrated the one thousandth anniversary of its existence).
In 1994, full-scale renovations of the palace were carried out, consisting in the replacement of the roof and ceiling structure. The window woodwork was replaced in 2000; a year later, the façades were covered with new plaster and straight steps leading to the palace were constructed; in 2003, the roof was repaired.
The village of Budziszewko is located approx. 2.5 km to the east of the road connecting Murowana Goślina with Rogoźno. The palace and park complex is situated in the western part of the village. Its western boundary is marked by a dirt path leading to the parish cemetery situated to the south of the palace. The classical palace is located in the eastern section of the remaining part of the complex. To the north of the palace, in the public part of the park, is the former pastor’s house, currently the church rectory. To the south of the palace is the primary school built in the 1960s. The section of the park stretching to the south of the palace and the school building is used as the school’s recreation ground.
The front façade of the palace faces the east. The building has brick walls resting on a stone wall base. Built on a floor plan in the shape of an elongated rectangle, it has two storeys and a basement; the side walls are adjoined by one-storeyed annexes. The hip roof is partially covered with slate and partially with eternit. The front façade has 11 axes; the five central axes are divided by means of pilasters. The junction between the ground and first floors is accentuated by a string course. The palace has a two-bay layout. The former drawing room on the first floor contains a chapel covered with a false barrel vault. North of the palace, there is a two-storeyed residential outbuilding.
The park stretches to the north west and to the south of the palace. It features a number of trees having the status of natural monuments. In its western part, there are remains of a park path.
The historic monument may be visited from the outside.
compiled by Tomasz Łuczak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 16-11-2015.
- Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. 5, Woj. wielkopolskie, red. Ruszczyńska Teresa, Sławska Aniela, z. 15, Pow. obornicki, opr. Galicka Izabella, Kaczorowska Irena, Sygietyńska Hanna, Warszawa 1965, s. 2.
- Ewidencja zabytkowego parku pałacowego w Budziszewku, opr. Hipolit Rataj, Piła 1979, w zbiorach WUOZ w Poznaniu.
- Pałac w Budziszewku, Karta ewidencyjna zabytków architektury i budownictwa, opr. Maria Kępińska, 1983, w zbiorach WUOZ w Poznaniu.
- Wielkopolska. Słownik krajoznawczy, red. Włodzimierz Łęcki, Poznań 2002, s. 34.
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_30_BK.162999, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_30_BK.159776