Church, currently Greek Catholic church of St Michael the Archangel - Zabytek.pl
woj. lubuskie, pow. strzelecko-drezdenecki, gm. Strzelce Krajeńskie-obszar wiejski
The church in Brzoza was erected at the turn of the 13th and the 14th century. In the early modern period, the late-Romanesque church was thoroughly re-designed; only the western wall with a stepped portal was left unchanged. Windows were re-designed, a crypt with a founders’ gallery was added, façades were plastered, and in 1751, a sacristy was built and the tower was extended upwards. Originally, the church belonged to Catholics. In the 16th century, it was taken over by Evangelicals. Since the end of World War II, the church had remained unused. In 1952, it was renovated and consecrated as an Orthodox church.
The church is located in the middle of a land parcel overgrown with trees which, together with the landscape park with which it constitutes one composition, belongs to a historical palace and manor farm complex. The complex is located in the northern part of the village. The church is an aisleless, oriented building. Its main body, built on a rectangular floor plan, is made of cut granite blocks. The annex adjoining the northern wall was erected on a square floor plan. Both parts are covered with three-slope roofs clad in beaver tail tiles arranged in a “fish scale” pattern. Over the western part of the body, there is a cuboidal tower erected using the post-and-beam technique. Its external walls are lined with slate. The tower is topped with a Baroque tented roof with a lantern. The bell handing inside comes from 1923. The western wall of the church with a stepped pointed-arch portal has survived in an unchanged form. Other façades are partitioned with window openings closed with three-centered arches. The entrance opening in the southern wall is topped with a pointed arch. Window frames, infills in the former window openings, and higher sections of the walls are made of brick. In the interior of the church, an iconostasis was set. The Late Baroque altarpiece from the 2nd half of the 18th century was transferred to the church in Dąbroszyn. The founders’ loge has survived until present.
The building is available all year round and may be visited upon prior appointment.
compiled by Anna Jackiewicz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 25-11-2014.
- Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, t. 3: Powiaty: gorzowski - słubicki - sulęciński - międzyrzecki - strzelecko-drezdenecki, Zielona Góra 2013, s. 281.
- Kowalski S., Zabytki architektury województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2010, s. 44.
- Zabytki północnej części województwa lubuskiego, Lewczuk J., Skaziński B. (red.), Gorzów Wlkp.-Zielona Góra 2004, s. 153.
- Karat ewidencyjna, Kościół katolicki ob. Cerkiew prawosławna pw. św. Michała Archanioła, oprac. C. Nowakowski, 1997, Archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków w Gorzowie Wielkopolskim
kamienne, drewniane, ceglane
Protection: Register of monuments
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_08_BK.36130