Parish church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Brzesko
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Parish church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Brzesko

photo

Typical for Pomorze Zachodnie early Gothic church made of granite blocks, with an interior covered by unique Baroque vaulting with a wooden structure and preserved lavish fittings.

History

The church was erected ca. 1300, probably slightly later the tower was added, locating it from the North in the eastern corner. It was first mentioned in 1303 as a branch of the parish in Letnin, in 1490 - a parish, from 1530s. - Evangelical church, under the patronage of Mariacka Foundation in Szczecin. At the beginning of the 17th century the change of form of the windows was made into the ones closed with a round arch, Mannerist wall paintings and late Renaissance fittings were also added. In 1697 the interior was covered with wooden pseudo-vaulting, made according to the inscription made by Michael Pahl from Brzesko, called a “miller boy.” In 1808 the tower burnt and its remains were dismantled. In the years 1814-1817 a free-standing bell tower was built according to the design of the architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel. In 1870 the church was restored in neo-Gothic forms, among other things, the windows were reconstructed, part of older fittings were removed, new neo-Gothic galleries, organs and pews were made. In February 1945, as a result of acts of war, the western gable was damaged and two last bays of the pseudo-vaultings together with western gallery and organs were demolished. In 1945 the church was consecrated as a Roman Catholic one, since 1951 it is functioning as a parish church. In the years 1953-1955 the western gable was reconstructed and new roof covering was made. In 1962 the tower was under renovation and then the fittings and pseudo-vaultings were renovated. In 1969 the roof covering was replaced, from roof tiles into sheet metal, in 1971 a new western gallery was built. In 1980s. two bays of the ceiling from the West were reconstructed. From 1992 onwards the church is a Marian Sanctuary. From 2011 the pseudo-vaultings were renovated.

Description

Oriented church is located in the southern part of the village, on the village square, within the area of the churchyard cemetery surrounded by a stone wall. Early-Gothic, hall building with a free-standing bell tower from the North at the eastern corner, with a small porch from the West and modern sacristy from the South. Over the nave body and porch there are gable roofs, the roof of the body is crowned with a steeple with a pyramid dome. The church is made of not carefully treated granite block combined with a large amount of mortar, inside it is covered with a wooden pseudo-vaulting. The roofs are covered with sheet metal. Facades with a high plinth, partly plastered, with an imitation of regular joints. Window openings are closed with a round arch, framed by plastered surrounds. In the northern wall there is a Gothic pointed-arch portal made of granite blocks with two-step reveals. On the axis of eastern facade there is a bricked-up pointed-arch opening of the former entrance from the 1st half of the 19th century. Western porch with an entrance from the North, pierced with large openings closed with a round arch. Plastered gables with corner brick pinnacles, decorated with narrow, plaster blind semi-circularly closed windows, in the eastern gable positioned on two storeys. The interior is covered by a Baroque, polychrome false cross-rib vaulting made in 1697 by Michael Pahl from Brzesko. Stalactite-type vaulting with a layout suggesting the division of the interior into two 10-bay naves, decorated with acanthus leaves and cones in relief positioned in keystones and under the supports at the end of ribs volutes on the nave axis and by the walls. At the sides of the rood beam there are supports in the shape of male half-figures with cartouches. Vault cells are decorated with a figural polychromy with a presentation of angelic choirs. By the western wall there is a wooden gallery from the period of post-war reconstruction. Preserved lavish fittings and interior design: late-Gothic altar with a figure of Mary from the beginning of the 16th century, in 1613 reshaped in a Mannerist style, with polychromies and paintings made by the painter Michael Haentz from Choszczno, Mannerist ambo of 1612, signed “MH” (maybe meaning Michael Haentz), seven Baroque emblematic paintings from the end of the 17th century, currently at the crest of the gallery with a foundation slab of the ceiling, tomb stone of Gottlieb Beniamin Mollaz of 1767, Baroque cabinet candle holder of 1695.

Limited access to the historic building. The interior may be accessed upon the consent of the parish priest.

Prepared by Maciej Słomiński, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Szczecin, 25.06.2014.

Bibliography

  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce. Seria nowa, vol. 13: Województwo zachodniopomorskie, z. 1: Powiat pyrzycki, Warsaw 2013, pp. 140-146.
  • Lemcke H., Die Bau- und Kunstdenkmäler des Regierungsbezirks Stettin, z. 7: Der Kreis Pyritz, Stettin 1906.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 2. poł. XIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Brzesko
  • Location: Voivodeship zachodniopomorskie, district pyrzycki, commune Pyrzyce - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area