Villa, currently a kindergarten, Brzeg
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Villa, currently a kindergarten

Brzeg

photo

A typical example of 19th-century residential architecture with Historicist style features, with sumptuous stucco decoration of the façade. The villa is circumscribed by a wrought fencing made by blacksmith master Gustav Bild.

History

The building was erected in 1876 (date on the façade) for Gustav Bild (there is a “GB” monogram on the gate and over one of the windows in the eastern façade). After 1945, the villa housed the seat of the Polish Railways Labour Union. Currently, there is a kindergarten in it.

Description

The villa was built in the southern part of the town, near the railway station. It is enclosed with a decorative wrought fencing made by Gustaw Bild, with his monogram on the gate.

It is a corned building comprised of a number of connected sections: the main section built on a rectangular floor plan with a semi-circular avant-corps in the south-western corner and a longitudinal, two-storey avant-corps topped with a semi-circular terrace in the north-eastern corner. From the north-western side, there is a quadrangular outbuilding which can be accessed from the main section through a connector.

The villa is made of brick. It has two storeys and basements, and a three-storey outbuilding. It rests on a high plinth covered with rustication with sheep-wool texture. It is topped with a squat roof. The ground storey is covered with smooth rusticated strips with accentuated corners. On the level of the first storey, the partitions are defined by corner pilasters. Horizontal articulation is complemented with cornices between the storeys and a crowning cornice with an elaborate frieze with garlands. The entrance is located on the axis of the three-axial southern façade. Above the entrance, there is a terrace flanked by rectangular blind windows. The terrace entrance is topped with a semi-circular pediment with a coat of arms and stylised “B” letter (Bild), and figures of lions. The eastern façade is six-axial (five axes of the villa and the sixth axis of a narrow longitudinal terrace). Between the 2th and the 4th axis, there is a shallow avant-corps topped with a triangular pediment. Window openings of the first storey are topped with semi-circular pediments with floral ornaments in which there are cartouches with a “GB” monogram and date 1876. The western façade is three-axial, with a staircase avant-corps from the south featuring a high window opening with a semi-circular arch in its top section. The façade of the connecting sections is rusticated and pierced with irregularly arranged window openings of various sizes. The outbuilding has two axes from the south and one axis from the east.

Inside the villa, the original layout of rooms has been preserved as well as part of the décor, including stucco decorations on ceilings, hermas flanking the stairs, and door woodwork.

Limited access to the monument.

compiled by Aleksandra Ziółkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 19-11-2015.

Bibliography

  • Karta ewidencyjna zabytku architektury, Willa-pałacyk, ob. przedszkole i biblioteka PKP, Brzeg ulica Towarowa 1, oprac. Wojciechowski A., Rzetecka E., 1985, Archiwum Wojewódzki Urząd Ochrony Zabytków w Opolu.
  • http://brzeg24.pl/aktualnosci/965-dziea322a-mistrzztuki-kowalskiej/ (19-11-2015 r.)

General information

  • Type: villa
  • Chronology: 1876 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Towarowa 2, Brzeg
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district brzeski, commune Brzeg
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area