Communal water tower, Brzeg
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The tower, built in the second half of the 19th century, is a dominant feature of the north-eastern part of the town Brzeg. This part of the town is located by the Oder.

History

The oldest water supply system in Brzeg originated from the mid-16th century. In the 19th century, it became insufficient and the construction of a new one started. In June 1864, the works were commenced, and less than a year thereafter, the water system was launched. Initially, water was drawn from the Oder, but due to frequent epidemics, in 1905 the construction of a water intake in Gierszowice was started.

The water tower was built in 1876 at the initiative of a manufacturer from Brzeg, Rehnisch, who founded a prize for the best design of the municipal water supply system extension. It was erected next to an old pumping station. Shortly thereafter, a new machine room was created, cooperating with the devices of the tower.

In the 1970s, the water supply system with the tower was still operating.

Description

The water tower was built in the north-eastern part of the town, by Rybacka Street, within a distance of 35 m from the bed of the Oder, amidst a waterworks complex.

It was erected from clinker brick on a floor plan shaped as a regular octagon. The tower is shaped as a column with a shaft of varied profile, resting on a conical base. It has basements and six storeys and is covered with an eight-faced conical roof with a vent. Its façades are framed by arcades embracing three storeys and featuring segmental arches in their top sections. The façades are alternately articulated with a pair of window openings closed with a segmental arch and a plain wall (except for the uppermost storey, where window openings are present on every façade). Between the 1st and the 2nd, and the 4th and the 5th storey, there are pronounced cornices (the upper one with an arcaded frieze). The entrance is located in the southern façade, in a simplified portal projecting ahead of the wall face, topped with a pediment with a segmental arch in the top section.

The ceilings of the tower are made of concrete and rest on reinforced concrete beams. The steel water tank’s diameter is 12 m. It is 5 m high. Across the centre of the tank, there runs an access shaft with diameter of 2 metres. The steel and wooden structure of the roof rests directly on the outer wall of the tank.

Limited access to the monument.

compiled by Aleksandra Ziółkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 24-11-2015.

Bibliography

  • Gerber P., Szpineter T., Inwentaryzacja zabytków techniki na terenie miasta Brzegu, Wrocław 1983, Archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków w Opolu.
  • Ilkosz J., Wodzinska A., Studium historyczno-urbanistyczne miasta Brzeg, PKZ Wrocław 1986, Archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków w Opolu.
  • Karta ewidencyjna zabytków architektury i budownictwa, Wodociągowa wieża ciśnień - komunalna, oprac. Januszewski S., 1992, Archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków w Opolu.

General information

  • Type: industrial architecture
  • Chronology: 1876 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Rybacka 5, Brzeg
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district brzeski, commune Brzeg
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area