All Saints Church, Brożec
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

All Saints Church

Brożec

photo

 

Erected in the last quarter of the 18th century, the church is an example of Baroque architecture with the frame partitions of the façade and homogenous fittings.

The village Brożec is closely linked to Bishop Alfons Nossol, a figure of great impact on the history of the Opole region and its culture. The Rev. Alfons Nossol was born on 8 August 1932 in Brożec. In the years 1977-2009, he held the office of diocesan bishop of the Diocese of Opole. During that time, he set up the Diocesan Pastoral and Theological Institute in Opole. It was a branch of the Faculty of Theology, Catholic University of Lublin. Besides, he contributed to the establishment of the Diocesan Museum and Archives.

History

The first mention of the church in Brożec comes from documents of the Norbertines of 1319 when the parish was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary. Shortly after, the village went under the supervision of the Cistercians. An inspection report dated 1679 mentions wooden All Saints Church. The records of the 1687 inspection confirm that the church was already partly a brick structure with stone altar tops.

The construction of a new church began in 1774. The supervisor of the construction project was the building master Martin Ascher from Głogówek. The church was consecrated on 21 August 1775. In the 19th century, some repair works were carried out which also covered the replacement of the roofing. In 1926 the sacristy was added.

Description

The church stands in Reymonta Street in the centre of the village, on an oval square surrounded by a plastered fence with buttresses and openwork gates. The church is oriented to the east. It was built on a rectangular plan with a short, quadrilateral chancel and sacristy added later on its axis. On both sides of the nave, there are semicircular chapels forming the transept (one of the chapels has a crypt underneath). On the west side, there is a quadrilateral tower integrated with the body of the church and an adjacent porch. There is a semi-circular staircase tower in the south-west corner.

The church is built of brick, partly buttresses and plastered with the façades featuring framework decoration and window openings terminated with basket arches in surrounds with a keystone. The east façade exhibits two wavy gables: a lower one which terminates the sacristy wall and a higher one closing the chancel wall. The west façade of the church forms a three-axis pattern with a porch in the central axis protruding from the face and topped with a gable and blind windows in the side axes. In the second level, on the central axis, there is a quadrilateral tower topped with a bulbous cupola with a lantern. The side axes are wavy semi-gables terminated with volutes. The church is covered with a double-pitched roof.

Inside, the church is covered with barrels vaults with lunettes (in the nave and chancel), conch (in the chapels) and cross-rib vaults (in the sacristy and the chamber under the tower). The aisle walls are articulated by pilasters topped with cornice sections. The choir with a balustrade with banisters of a broken wavy line; from the east, it is supported by two quadrilateral columns and from the west on three semicircular arcades.

The interior decor has a uniform, Baroque-like character. It includes: non-architectural neo-Baroque altar consisting of a painting in an elaborate, openwork frame flanked by statuettes (1952), non-architectural side altar, a pulpit with the statues of the Evangelists (1721) and neo-Baroque pews (1933-1934).

The monument is available to visitors.

Compiled by Aleksandra Ziółkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 29-12-2014.

Bibliography

  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. 7: Województwo opolskie, z. 6: Powiat krapkowicki, Warszawa 1963, s. 1.
  • Lutsch H., Verzeichnis der Kunstdenkmäler der Provinz Schlesien, t. 4: Die Kunstdenkmäler des Reg. Bezirks Oppeln, Breslau 1892, s. 295.
  • Kałuża H., Dzieje parafii Brożec i okolic, Brożec-Nysa 2009.
  • http://parafia.brozec.pl/node/2

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1774-1775
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Reymonta 52, Brożec
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district krapkowicki, commune Walce
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area