Parish Church of the Assumption of Blessed Virgin Mary, Branice
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish Church of the Assumption of Blessed Virgin Mary

Branice

photo

The Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Branice is an example of neo-Gothic architecture from the turn of the 19th century, featuring uniform neo-Gothic equipment and fittings.

History

The first mention of the church in Branice dates back to 1248. At the end of the 13th century, the church was entrusted to the Norbertans from Hradysz. They stayed there until the Reformation.

Branice became an independent parish no earlier than in 1782, and the present church was built in place of the former, smaller church in 1792. The church roof and tower were repeatedly destroyed by fire and rebuilt. Over time, the church was not able to take in the growing number of the faithful. So the year 1888 saw a cornerstone ceremony for the extension of the temple. The chancel was elongated, and a transverse aisle was added. The consecration of the redeveloped church took place in 1889.

Another modernization and extension of the building was undertaken in the early 20th century, on the initiative of the parish priest Joseph Nathan. The design of the construction of aisles was prepared by the architect Hans Schlicht from Wrocław. The project, both inside and outside of the church, was complete at the end of 1915. In 1916 the cross and bells were installed on the tower, and the church was consecrated.

Description

The church sits on an elevated area in the middle of the village. It is surrounded by a partly metal and partly stone fence standing on a base course. It has two gates: on the axis of the main entrance and from the south. Around the church, there is a small cemetery with tombstones from the early 20th century.

The church is oriented towards the east, built of stone and brick, plastered and buttressed. It was rebuilt in the neo-Gothic style on a plan similar to cruciform and a three-sided termination of the chancel and a rectangular tower standing before the body of the nave. The chancel touches two rectangular extensions: smaller to the north and bigger to the south, housing the sacristy and a copy of the Lourdes Cave. The nave and transept are covered with gable roofs, an ave-bell turret rests on their intersection. The presbytery is covered with a gable roof, transforming into a three-pane roof at the termination. The aisles are covered with three gable roofs with the ridge perpendicular to the nave.

In the aisles, strong emphasis is laid on a decorated triangular transept gable, plaster pointed-arch blind windows and a porch with its gables with an ogee top.

The tower is supported by corner buttresses and partitioned into three levels by a cornice. On top of the tower, there are four corner turrets crowned with cupolas, with clock dials between them. The tower is topped with an octagonal cupola.

The interior features stellar vaults. The church fittings and furniture come from the late 19th and early 20th century.

The monument is available to visitors.

Compiled by Aleksandra Ziółkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 31-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • http://www.zygzak-branice.pl/podstrony/historia_branic04.html (31.10.2014)

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1888
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Branice
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district głubczycki, commune Branice
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area