Manor house ruins, Borzygniew
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The manor house in Borzygniew was one of a group of similar buildings that had once existed in Silesia, the distinguishing feature of which was the presence of characteristic sgraffito decorations consisting of rusticated quoins dressed at an angle near the edge, adorned with stylised foliate motifs; the distinctive ornamental gables formed another unique design feature of these buildings.

History

Today, the manor house remains in a state of ruin; it was originally erected in 1613 at the request of Christof von Mühlheim und Domantz and his wife, Barbara von Mühlheim und Domantz née von Seidlitz. Remodelled both during the 18th and 19th century, the manor house was ultimately destroyed in 1945.

Initially designed as a two-storey structure covered with a pair of parallel, interconnected gable roofs, their ridges positioned in parallel to the front façade, the building featured a pair of near-identical, three-storey gables on each side. The front façade likewise featured a pair of additional, similarly disposed three-storey gables, separated by a much smaller middle gable, also featuring an ornamental outline. All of the decorative gables were framed with volutes and adorned with obelisk-like pinnacles. The façades were adorned with sgraffito decorations taking the form of quoins dressed at an angle near the edge, their surface covered with stylised foliate motifs. The front façade also featured a portal incorporating the coat of arms of the building’s owners, placed on the entablature frieze, with a Mannerist cartouche incorporating an inscription commemorating the construction of the manor house positioned directly above. The interiors originally followed a two-bay layout; a barrel vault adorned with stucco decorations incorporating strapwork motifs is known to have existed inside the building’s vestibule. The basement and a number of rooms in the second suite of the ground floor level are also known to had originally featured vaulted ceilings.

Description

The ruins of the manor house remain spatially interconnected with the neighbouring grange; they are located in the middle of the village, on the top of a hill rising east of the local church.

The manor house was originally a two-storey structure with a basement, designed on a rectangular floor plan. All that remains of the manor house today are its peripheral walls, reaching up to the level of the crowning cornice, as well as parts of the decorative gables of the front façade and the western side façade. Heavily damaged architectural detailing in the form of rustication (quoins), cornices, volutes and plasterwork window surrounds can still be seen on the building’s façades. The northern façade features vestiges of sgraffito decorations taking the form of faux rustication, still present underneath the crumbling layers of plaster. Parts of the portal with the remains of an entablature frieze composed of oval heraldic cartouches can still be seen in the building’s front façade. Above the portal there is a stone cartouche framed with strapwork ornamentation, containing an inscription commemorating the building’s construction and the date 1613.

The site is open to visitors.

compiled by Beata Sebzda, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 20-02-2015.

Bibliography

  • Eysymontt K., Architektura renesansowych dworów na Dolnym Śląsku, Wrocław 2010, pp. 245-246.
  • G. Grundmann, Burgen, Schlösser und Gutshauser in Schlesien, vol. 2, Frankfurt am Main 1982, p. 75.
  • Jagiełło-Kołaczyk M. Sgrafita na Śląsku 1540-1650. Wrocław 2003, pp. 145, 148, 162, 369.
  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce. Seria Nowa, vol. IV, issue 2, Województwo wrocławskie, Sobótka, Kąty Wrocławskie i okolice, J. Pokora and M. Zlat (eds.), Warsaw 1991, p. 10.
  • Pilch J., Leksykon zabytków architektury Dolnego Śląska. Warsaw 2005, p. 29.
  • Sieber H. Burgen und Schlösser in Schlesien, Frankfurt am Main 1962, p. 61.
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, p. 144.

General information

  • Type: manor house
  • Chronology: 1613 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Borzygniew
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district wrocławski, commune Mietków
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area