Roman Catholic filial church of St Bartholomew, Borowina
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Roman Catholic filial church of St Bartholomew

Borowina

photo

An interesting example from the group of stone churches built in rural style.

History

The oldest document referring to the church comes from 1376. The document mentions the name of the local parish priest. It is assumed that the church was erected earlier, in the late 13th century. At that time, it was a single-nave building with a rectangular chancel. The nave was covered with a wooden flat ceilings, and the sacristy - with a wooden barrel vault. In the 15th century, a tower was added from the west, and in 16th century, a sacristy, from the north. Significant modifications were also made in the Baroque period: a ceilings over the chancel was installed, the rood arch was lowered, and the windows were re-designed. After the fire in the 19th century, the church remained in ruins. Additional damages were inflicted in the end of World War II. In the years 1975 - 1978, it was reconstructed.

Description

The church is located in the middle of the village, on the eastern side of the main road from Szprotawa to Kożuchów, by a local road leading towards a palace and manor farm complex. It is circumscribed by a medieval stone wall following the outline of a circle, with a gate located on the north-western side. The church is oriented and built of erratic stone. It is not plastered. The nave and the chancel, which is slightly narrower than the former, are covered with gable roofs clad in beaver tail tiles forming a “lace” pattern. The northern plane extends over the small sacristy adjoining the chancel’s wall. The tower was built on a rectangular floor plan and reinforced with two stepped corner buttresses. It is topped with a hip roof which in the upper section takes the form of an octagonal spire. The roof is clad in sheet metal. In the chancel, in the eastern façade, there is a surviving narrow pointed-arch window opening, and in the southern wall, an entrance openings of similar type. Other openings are headed with segmental arches. The windows are embedded in deep splayed reveals topped with an arch. Niches and their surrounds are plastered. On the level of the uppermost storey of the tower, there are two paired windows with brick casings and lancets. The interior of the nave and the is covered with contemporary ceilings. On the stone portal leading to the sacristy, there is a date - “1584”. The interior’s décor and fittings are modern.

The building is available all year round and may be visited upon prior appointment.

compiled by Anna Jackiewicz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 24-11-2014.

Bibliography

  • Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, t. 2: Powiaty: żarski - żagański - nowosolski - wschowski, Zielona Góra 2012, s. 154.
  • Kowalski S., Zabytki architektury województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2010, s. 27.
  • Karta ewidencyjna, Kościół filialny pw. św. Bartłomieja, oprac. I. Ciesielska, 2002, Archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków w Zielonej Górze

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: konie XIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Borowina
  • Location: Voivodeship lubuskie, district żagański, commune Szprotawa - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area