Filial Church of St Mary Mary Magdalene, Boroszów
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Filial Church of St Mary Mary Magdalene

Boroszów

photo

The church in Boroszów is one of the 17 wooden churches in Olesko District and one of almost 70 in the Opole region. Originating mostly in the 17th and 18th centuries, these temples, enveloped with old trees and cemeteries, are inextricably linked with the rural landscape of the Opole region. As the oldest examples of the wooden architecture, they are some of the most valuable items in the cultural heritage of the region.

History

The first mention of the church goes back to 1679 and then to 1697. According to the records from inspections, it was a wooden building, erected “in the old days”; it had a stand-alone bell tower, was decrepit and needed repair. In 1723 the church was so devastated that it was closed; its complete reconstruction was prepared and carried out probably around 1731. A major renovation was held already in 1773. In 1884 the condition of the wall was reported as satisfactory. The church had a pulpit, new organs, the Stations of the Cross and a number of sculptures and paintings. In 1902 four new marble ledgers of the Paczyński family were installed in the new floor. They had been the former owners of Boroszów. They can be seen on the north side of the church, at the pulpit. In that same year, the new polychromy was made. Further major renovations were undertaken in 1965, 1988, 1997, and 2010; the renovation of the organ started in 2014.

Description

Today, the temple is owned by the Parish of St Hedwig of Silesia and St Hyacinth in Biskupice. The church is oriented towards the east, situated about 700 m east of the main road and about 60 m north of the road to Biskupice; it is surrounded by a cemetery. North of the church, the land slopes down towards the post-manor park and pond. The church is a log (the body) and post-and-beam (tower) structure. Its body consists of: a four-level tower covered with an octagonal tented roof, a short nave covered with a gable roof with the ridge at the height of the eaves and a much lower and narrower chancel with a three-sided termination, with a sacristy adjoining from the north. All roofs are covered with shingles and sheet metal (tower). All façades are clad with vertically arranged weatherboard. The interior of the church can be reached by three entrances: in the ground level of the tower, in the middle of the north façade and through the sacristy. The chancel is covered with false barrel vaulting and the nave with a flat wooden ceiling. The decor is mostly the 18th-century work of art. It covers the Rococo-classicistic altar, pulpit, paintings and wooden statues of St John of Nepomuk and St Francis of the turn of the 18th century. The organ was brought in 1902 from the Tarnowskie Góry region. The classicistic choir with a balustrade is supported by two pillars featuring woodcarving pieces, accessible by stairs leading down from the tower. Two epitaphs renovated in 2014 are exhibited by the church.

The site is freely accessible from outside; access to the interior is only possible during the services or by arrangement with the parish priest.

Compiled by Ewa Kalbarczyk-Klak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 25-07-2014.

Bibliography

  • Ks. Joszko B., Parafia Biskupice koło Olesna. Z dziejów kultury i życia religijnego, Opole 2006.
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, t. 7, z. 10, s. 3.
  • Emmerling D., Wierzgoń A., Opolskie kościoły drewniane, Opole 2006, s. 20-21.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1731
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Boroszów
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district oleski, commune Olesno - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area