Water mill - Zabytek.pl
woj. lubelskie, pow. zamojski, gm. Adamów-gmina wiejska
The mill was erected in 1924 by Michał Kowalczyk. Initially, along with the paper mill dating back to 1904 as well as the neighbouring wood shingle plant, the water mill formed a complex of buildings located by the Wieprz river, on both sides of the river lock. At the heart of the water mill was the stream wheel with the diameter of 6 metres and the width of 2.18 metres, its total output being 14.6 HP. In 1961, the water wheel was replaced by an electric drive, although in 1981 the wheel was set in motion once again. During the same year, the building underwent a full-scale restoration. In the early 1990s, the windows and weatherboard cladding were replaced, while an annex with grain silos was added to the western side of the building. Both the roof and the water wheel have undergone repairs. The most recent modernisation works took place in years 2008-2009.
The mill is located north of the Bondyrz village, alongside the Wieprz river meander. Initially, the structure formed a part of a complex consisting of a river lock, wood shingle manufacturing plant and paper mill located on the other side of the river. The mill is a post-and-frame structure clad with vertically arranged weatherboards. The building features a timber roof truss with purlins and collar beams, clad with wood shingles and sheet metal. The building was erected on a rectangular floor plan, with an annex adjoining it to the west. The cuboid, two-storey structure features a converted attic and is covered with a gable roof. The structure comprising the river lock and the water wheel which adjoins the northern gable wall is also covered with a gable roof, while the western annex features a shed roof. The southern and eastern façades follow a two-storey design, with each storey being separated by horizontal drip boards; the first-floor level features a regular arrangement of two-leaf, six-pane windows.
The entrance into the building, covered beneath a small shed roof, is located in the gable-end façade (southern façade). The remaining façades are now obscured by annexes which were added at a later date. The interior at the ground floor and first floor levels is a single, open space with vertical pillars supporting the crossbeams as well as exposed transverse beams. The building features a complete set of original technical equipment, including the primary shaft, the attached stream wheel, the transmission shaft with pulleys as well as the main millstone, the rollers, the smaller millstones for grain husking, the dynamo, the cylinders and the flour boxes.
The building may be viewed from the outside.
compiled by Anna Sikora - Terlecka, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Lublin, 15-10-2014.
- Karta ewidencyjna, d. Młyn wodny, oprac. Fornal Maria, Górak Jan, Bondyrz 1995, Archiwum WUOZ w Lublinie Delegatura w Zamościu i Archiwum NID w Warszawie.
Protection: Register of monuments
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_06_BK.4513