Town hall - Zabytek.pl
Bolesławiec, Rynek 41
woj. dolnośląskie, pow. bolesławiecki, gm. Bolesławiec-gmina miejska
The building incorporates various elements from different periods, exhibiting features of the Late Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque styles, all of them presenting a very high artistic quality.
The town hall, erected in years 1432-33, was designed to replace its older, wooden predecessor, most likely lost to the blaze in 1427. The new town hall was subsequently extended in years 1525-35 by Wendel Rosskopf and Johann Lindner, with the works in question including, among others, the extension of the eastern wing. Having partially burned down in 1642, it was restored over the next couple of years, with the works being completed in 1659. In the years 1776-81, the town hall was redesigned in the Baroque style, with the master brickmason named Boehm being involved in the construction process. The building was subsequently modernised and restored on numerous occasions in years 1810, 1839, 1847, 1891-96 and later in years 1964-65, 1974-75, 1985-88 and ca. 2000.
The building is located in the town centre, in the middle of the market square. It is a two-storey brick and stone structure designed on a roughly L-shaped floor plan. The town hall consists of two wings, with the three-storey northern wing featuring a stone tower designed on a square plan with an octagonal top section, crowned with a bulbous cupola with an openwork, lantern-like structure at the top. A three-storey building which used to house the municipal scales adjoins the tower to the north. The southern wing is a two-storey structure, extending towards the east. Both sections of the town hall as well as the weighing scales building are covered with individual mansard roofs, with the roof of the southern wing being adorned with dormers and decorative gables topped with ornamental urns. The façades are covered with plaster and feature Late Baroque articulation effected by means of pilasters and decorative panels between the windows. The façades of the former weighing scales buildings are covered with sgraffito decorations. The windows come in different forms and sizes; most of them are rectangular and framed with narrow, profiled surrounds. The weighing scales building features Late Gothic windows topped with inflexed arches as well as Early Renaissance windows in stone surrounds. The main entrance in the western façade is positioned on the first-floor level and preceded by grand, Baroque stairs with stone balustrades; the entrance itself is framed with a sandstone portal. The side entrance on the northern side of the town hall is preceded by much more restrained, Classicist stairs. The ground floor section of the building features embedded Renaissance portals from ca. 1580 and 1572, relocated here from demolished tenement house in the market square. The basements and the ground floor level of the northern wing feature vaulted ceilings of the barrel type, while the older, western part of the southern wing features a hall with a ribbed vaulted ceiling whose contours are based on the use of curvilinear (circular) segments designed as if they were drawn using a compass, supported by engaged pillars. The eastern part of the building features double barrel vaults. Inside both the Council Hall and the Hall of Weddings, preserved fragments of painted decorations can still be admired, including the paintings executed in 1722 by Johann Jeremias Knechtel.
The interiors may be explored during the opening hours of the Municipal Office.
compiled by Piotr Roczek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 26-03-2015.
- Słownik Geografii Turystycznej Sudetów. Vol. 7 Pogórze Kaczawskie, M. Staffa (ed.), Wrocław 2002, pp. 104-105,
- Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, p. 134.
Category: town hall
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_02_BK.90991, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_02_BK.71148