Church of St Hedwig, Bolesławice
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

A Gothic church surrounded by an old cemetery.

History

  • 1318 - first mentions of a church in Bolesławice
  • early 16th century - construction of the church
  • 1516 - extension works (northern chapel which subsequently became the chancel)
  • 1836 - modernisation
  • 1929 - modernisation
  • 1959 — renovation works
  • 1966-1974 - renovation works
Description

The church is located in the northern part of the village, on a small hill which used to serve as the middle yard of the original circular village (Rundling) which had existed on this spot ages before.

The first mentions of a local church date back to 1318, with the current, Late Gothic church being constructed in the early 16th century; it was subsequently extended in 1561, modernised in years 1836 and 1926 and restored in 1959 and in the years 1966-1974.

The church is a single-nave structure. The nave was designed on a square floor plan and covered with a stellar vault; the former chancel, rectangular in shape and currently serving as a chapel, adjoins the nave to the east. The chancel features a groin vault with pronounced ribs; the chancel walls are reinforced with buttresses. A sacristy with a vaulted ceiling of the barrel type adjoins the chancel to the north. The former chapel, built in 1516 and currently serving as the chancel, adjoins the nave to the north; it is designed on a rectangular floor plan and features a vaulted ceiling of the lierne type. The tower, designed on a square floor plan and originally featuring a groin vault in its ground floor section, adjoins the nave to the west. A porch can be found on the southern side of the church. As a result of the alteration works performed over the years, the church has lost its original, eastwards orientation and is now oriented to the north.

It is covered with gable roofs clad with roof tiles.

A pointed-arch stone portal in the southern wall leads into the nave, while the sacristy can be accessed through an elliptical portal, also made of stone. The former chancel (now the eastern chapel) features a window framed with a chamfered trefoil surround; a stone window surround bearing the date 1516 as well as a coat of arms and the monogram “WT” (Wencelaus Thommendorf) can be found in the western wall of the current chancel. The church also features a stone tabernacle from 1515 as well as remains of wall paintings dating back to the early 17th century, a collection of oil paintings, a 1639 epitaph plaque and a modern main altarpiece.

The church is surrounded by the old cemetery (no longer in active use), around which an oval wall made of stone was built in the 17th century; this wall, supported by buttresses, features a small wicket gate with a pointed-arch stone portal.

The church and the wicket gate are mostly closed; the building can be viewed from outside the wall.

compiled by Krzysztof Czartoryski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 13-08-2015.

Bibliography

  • Zabytki Sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006
  • Słownik geografii turystycznej Sudetów, M. Staffa (ed.), vol. 20, Wrocław 2005

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: początek XVI w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Bolesławice
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district świdnicki, commune Jaworzyna śląska - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area