St Matthew’s Church, Boguchwałów
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

St Matthew’s Church

Boguchwałów

photo

Funded in 1602 by Kacper Strzela of Dilawy and his wife Ewa of Obrowice, the church features a definitely Roman Catholic iconographic programme.Special attention should be given to the preserved Renaissance attic of the church gables and the fence.

History

St Matthew’s Church was funded in 1602 by Kacper Strzela and his wife Ewa. They also funded some of the church’s equipment: the main altar, side altars, pulpit, font, and pews. In 1603 they were buried in the Boguchwałów church, in a crypt under the main altar. The fires of 1776 and 1837 damaged the church. Its roof burnt and four bells perished in fire. During WW2, the church was bombed in 1945, and its renovation was undertaken no earlier than in 1959. Currently, restoration works are underway on the main and side altars.

Description

The church sits on an elevated area in the middle of the village. It is surrounded by an oval, partly buttressed wall topped with a Renaissance attic. The wall has two gates with semicircular arches; the larger one faces the north and boasts an elaborate gable.

The church is oriented towards the east, made of brick and stone, plastered and buttressed, with a two-bay nave on a square-like floor plan. A tower is attached from the west and a porch from the south. On the east side, there is a rectangular, two-bay chancel with a trilateral closing wall. It is flanked by a chapel and sacristy with a lodge on the upper level. The church is covered with gable roofs.

The tower is divided into five levels by cornices; it is topped by an attic with cresting made up of semicircular elements and a brick gable in the form of a cone. The façades of the chapel and sacristy have gables with decorated cornices and herm pilasters, embellished with corbels. The nave, chancel and chapel exhibit cross-ribbed vaults with stucco ribs and stone supports in the form of masks. The porch has a double barrel vaulting.

The interior features the main and two side altars (from the early 17th century) in the form of triptychs with carved scenes in the central part and painted wings. In the central part of the main altar, there is a scene of the Coronation of the Virgin Mary, and the predella exhibits the figures of the church founders with heraldic cartouches. The side altars offer bas-relief scenes of the Adoration of the Magi and of the Last Supper. The Renaissance pulpit (from the early 17th century) is decorated with the bas-reliefs of the Evangelists and the statues of Sts Peter and Paul on the parapet.

The site is accessible to visitors. The church is used only occasionally. Contact: St Jodok Parish in Sucha Psina.

Compiled by Aleksandra Ziółkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 05-11-2014.

Bibliography

  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. 7: Województwo opolskie, z. 2: Powiat głubczycki, Warszawa 1965, s. 11-13.
  • Chodorowska B., Dzieje kościoła pw. Św. Mateusza Ewangelisty w Boguchwałowie, [w:] Kalendarz Głubczycki 2002, s. 186-189.
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warszawa 2006, s. 128-129.
  • http://boguchwalow.pl.tl/Historia-so%26%23322%3Bectwa.htm

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1602
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Boguchwałów
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district głubczycki, commune Baborów - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area