Parish Church of St Anne, Boboszów
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish Church of St Anne

Boboszów

photo

The church is one of the few rural hall churches with niche chapels and interior galleries which have survived in the Kłodzko Region. Its interior is adorned with lavish painted decorations in the Historicist style, holding a substantial artistic and research value. The origins of the church are linked to Bohemian architecture.

History

In 1811, the existing masonry church, designed in the Late Baroque style and displaying kinship with the architecture of the Bohemia region, was erected on the site of an earlier, wooden cemetery church. The new building, designed as a hall church with niche chapels and interior galleries, bore numerous similarities to the church in Różanka (Różance, 1755-1756), both in terms of its appearance and spatial layout. However, the church in Boboszów is smaller than its counterpart and has slightly different proportions, while its design is more simplified. The church lacks any interior wall articulation, while its architectural detailing is limited to stone surrounds made at the local stonemason’s workshop based on Early Baroque patterns and incorporating Rococo and Early Classicist ornamentation. The church in Boboszów is one of the final examples of Baroque wall-pillar churches of the Kłodzko County. It was renovated on numerous occasions both in the 19th century and in the early decades of the 20th century. It was at that point, in the early 20th century, that its interior received the Historicist painted decorations incorporating both architectural, figural and ornamental motifs.

Description

Breaking with the usual practice, the church in Boboszów is not oriented towards the east; it is a brick and stone structure, its walls covered with plaster. Both the pipe organ gallery and the side galleries are likewise made of brick and feature solid parapets. The church is a single-nave building with a single tower and a distinct, single-bay chancel with a semi-circular end section. The chancel and the three-bay nave are separated by a rood arch. The nave, following a hall layout, features two rows of shallow chapel recesses topped with basket-handle arches. Above the chapels rise the galleries, opening towards the nave in a series of round arches. The north-western bay of the nave incorporates the organ gallery supported by three arches and featuring a double barrel vault. Both the chancel and the nave feature barrel vaults with lunettes, above which rises a common gable roof. The tower, designed on a square floor plan, is a four-storey structure crowned with a bulbous cupola, its uppermost storey featuring truncated corners. The chancel is adjoined by a pair of two-storey annexes designed on a rectangular floor plan. One of the currently houses the sacristy and the patrons’ gallery. The uniform façade décor consists of profiled, plasterwork crowning cornices adorning the main body and the tower, the stone cornices running alongside the façades of the tower as well as the stone surrounds framing the entrance doors and windows, taking the form of simple bands. Above the main portal in the front façade of the tower there is a stone cartouche incorporating the portrayal of St Anne and St Mary as well as a painted inscription referring to the construction and restoration of the church. The interior is adorned with painted decorations whose overall concept and composition are a nod towards the paintings which adorned historical, Baroque church interiors. The individual solutions, on the other hand, including the composition of individual figural scenes, the stylistic approach to individual characters, the colour scheme applied to the vaulted ceilings and the use of foliate bands and carpet-like geometric and foliate decorations were all consistent with the prevailing aesthetic of the late 19th and early 20th century. The walls and the vaulted ceilings feature an architectural articulation achieved through the use of the trompe-l’œi technique. The rather restrained iconography incorporated into the interior décor includes a cycle of Marian paintings (The Annunciation, The Visitation, the Holy Family, the Coronation of the Virgin Mary) as well as a cycle referring to the Church in general (images of Christ, the Four Evangelists and various saints). The lower sections of the walls, the pipe organ gallery balustrade and the undersides of some of the vaulted ceilings are adorned with decorative polychromy, with the sumptuous ornamentation achieved by fusing the Baroque Revival style with Neoclassical and Romanesque Revival motifs as interpreted in the fourth quarter of the 19th century. Some of the ornaments are stylised in a manner reminiscent of the Art Nouveau style. In addition, the church also features original planked doors (1811) as well as other fixtures and fittings: the architectural main altarpiece of St Anne, designed in the Baroque style and featuring a pair of ornate gates (ca. 1730-1750, created by artisans from the Międzylesie region), the Baroque side altarpiece of St Peregrine (crafted in the mid-18th century or thereabouts), the Romanesque Revival altarpiece of the Heart of Jesus, believed to have been imported from Munich (late 19th century), a Historicism pulpit (late 19th century), a Baroque Revival pipe organ casing from 1900 and a series of Late Baroque paintings covering a variety of themes, originating from the second quarter of the 18th century, at the turn of the 19th century and in the early 19th century.

The building is accessible all year round; interior tours upon prior telephone appointment.

compiled by Iwona Rybka-Ceglecka, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 17-06-2015.

Bibliography

  • Berger A., Eine Übersicht über die Pfarreien und Kuratien der Grafschaft Glatz betreffend die Zeit von 1841-1946, Kirchlengen, Kreis Herford 1961.
  • Wrabec J., Barokowe kościoły na Śląsku w XVIII w., Systematyka typologiczna, Wrocław-Warsaw-Cracow-Gdańsk-Łódź 1986.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1811 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Boboszów
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district kłodzki, commune Międzylesie - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area