Palace and park complex of the Lubomirski family, currently serving as the College of Public Administration, Białystok
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Palace and park complex of the Lubomirski family, currently serving as the College of Public Administration

Białystok

photo

The complex was erected during a period when the city was experiencing a rapid growth, linked in particular with the industrial revolution of the mid- 19th century. The well-preserved greenery with many old trees, the spatial layout with the palace and the surrounding ponds as well as the location within the boundaries of the city are the most outstanding features of the complex. The palace and park complex also has a significant historical and artistic value, enjoying the status of a regional landmark.

History

A manor house with a garden, owned by Jakub Raczka-Tabutowicz, is known to have existed here as early as the 15th century. The successive owners of the manor were the Chodkiewicz family, duke Fiodor Masalski, Jan Piotr Sapieha and Krzysztof Radziwiłł. From 1629, the manor was held on a lease by the Polish Brethren. After 1698, it was taken over by the Branicki family. At that time, the manor contained a grange, three utility gardens, ponds with the Zabłudów causeway running atop an embankment, a tavern and a mill on the shores of a pond forming part of the Biała river. In 1808, the complex was purchased by the Radziwiłł family, who then sold it to senator Aleksander Kruzensztern, who in turn gave it to his daughter Zofia Ruediger as dowry. By that time the causeway has been moved away from the ponds, which have also been modified, with the former grange being replaced by a landscape park.

The palace itself takes the form of a Renaissance Revival villa with Classicist detailing; it was originally erected in the 1860s. In the park surrounding the palace, new footpaths were designated and many new trees and shrubs were planted, lending the complex the appearance of an informal landscape park. In 1898, a new brewery was erected, its predecessor having been lost to the blaze some time before. In 1922, the manor was purchased by duke Jerzy Rafał Lubomirski. In 1939, the palace was taken over by the Soviet authorities, while in the years 1941-1944 it served as the residence of Erich Koch, the chief of the civilian administration of the Białystok district, who ordered a bunker to be built next to the palace. In 1944, the retreating German forces set the building on fire. After the war, the property was nationalised, with the palace being entrusted to the Vocational School of Agriculture. In the 1950s, the building was restored under the supervision of the Historical Monument Conservation Workshop. In the mid-1990s, the building was purchased by the College of Public Administration. The College authorities commissioned a comprehensive restoration of the building, which was adapted to serve its new purpose. The surrounding park remains the property of the municipal authorities. In 2010, the ponds were thoroughly dredged.

The palace and park complex is located in the south-eastern part of the city, within the triangle formed by the Myśliwska, Wiewiórcza and ks. St. Suchowolca streets. The palace itself was designed in the Renaissance Revival style with Classicist detailing.

Description

The palace lies at the centre of the entire complex, situated on a small hill surrounded by a meadow in the southern part of the surrounding landscape park having a total surface area of approximately 17 hectares. The building is made of brick, its complex, two-storey silhouette topped with a hip roof. The front façade faces north and is graced by a colonnaded portico with two pairs of columns. Ahead of the front façade lies a circular driveway paved with concrete blocks as well as an ornamental flower bed with a circular hedge, a few cedars, a spruce and a variety of flowers. A lawn and a parking lot are located south of the palace, with a view corridor towards the largest of the ponds opening towards the east. The dominant tree species in the landscape park are linden and ash (18th- and 19th-century specimen), accompanied by numerous modern plantings; the park, the palace and the system of ponds in the eastern part of the complex are linked by a number of informally arranged alleys and gravel footpaths.

Limited access to the historical monument. The building is the property of the College of Public Administration and can be viewed from the outside without restrictions. The park is accessible all year round.

compiled by Grażyna Rogala, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Białystok, 10-12-2014.

Bibliography

  • Bończak-Kucharczyk E., Maroszek J., Kucharczyk K., Katalog parków i ogrodów zabytkowych dawnego województwa białostockiego stan z 1988r., vol. II, Białystok 2000, pp. 42-44, fig. 77-80.
  • Kotyńska-Stetkiewicz J., Pałace, rezydencje, dwory. [in:] Perły architektury województwa podlaskiego, Białystok 2010, fig. p. 67.
  • Białystok. Studium historyczno - urbanistyczne do miejscowego planu ogólnego zagospodarowania przestrzennego, compiled by A. Oleksicki, 1978, typescript of the Polish Monument Conservation Workshops (PPKZ), archive of the Regional Office of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Białystok.

General information

  • Type: palace
  • Chronology: l. 60. XIX w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Dojlidy Fabryczne 26, Białystok
  • Location: Voivodeship podlaskie, district Białystok, commune Białystok
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area