The Parish Church of the Holy Trinity, Będzin
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

The Parish Church of the Holy Trinity



The Church of the Holy Trinity in Będzin is highly valuable on a regional scale: it is the oldest example of religious architecture in the town, founded by King Casimir III the Great. Its value also lies in its location on a castle hill, in close proximity to the Royal Castle.


Written records provide information related to the Church of the Holy Trinity in Będzin for the first time in 1326 and concern a wooden structure serving as a castle chapel. The wooden building was dismantled in 1363 upon the order of King Casimir III the Great, the founder of the brick church which was built two years later

within the area of a defensive hillfort. In 1560, with the help of Jan Firlej, Castellan of Będzin, the church was taken over by Arians. Several years later it was handed over to the Catholic Church. The building was in poor condition; restoration works were carried out until 1601. In 1655, during the Swedish invasion, the church was plundered and set on fire. The church was modified again and extended in the years 1873-1889. The present shape and Baroque design of the church are a result of numerous works

and took their final form in the 19th century. In the 2nd half of the 18th century, the Neo-Gothic Chapel of the Black Madonna of Częstochowa was built onto the church on the north side, and in the 19th century, the Chapel of the Sacred Heart of Jesus was built on the south side.

In the 20th century, the church underwent several series of renovations. In 1941, Wacław Pilecki made wall paintings in

the porch and in the narthex, and in 1974, Andrzej Seweryn Kowalski made new wall paintings inside the church. In the 1980s, the narthex received a new function — currently, it houses a parish library and the Chapel of the Divine Mercy. The church still functions as a parish church.


The Church of the Holy Trinity is located on a castle hill, to the south-east of the Royal Castle, in the centre of Będzin, at 4 Plebańska Street. The church is surrounded by a stone wall with buttresses.

Due to numerous modifications and extensions, the structure is not uniform in terms of style. Originally, it was a Gothic building, which is still indicated by the buttresses reinforcing the nave walls. However, at present, the dominant style is Baroque, also in terms of the interior design and fittings.

It is a brick building covered with plaster. The chancel terminates in a semi-hexagon. The rectangular nave, located in the centre, is adjoined by a square tower having a porch at the ground floor level. In the eastern part, there is an elongated chancel, adjoined by the Chapel of the Black Madonna of Częstochowa, built on a rectangular floor plan and terminating in a semi-hexagon, on the north side and the Chapel of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, having the same shape and accompanied by a sacristy on the east side, on the south side. The narthex, added in the 19th century, is situated along the south nave wall. It is currently divided into three rooms, containing: a staircase, the Chapel of the Divine Mercy, and a parish library. The main entrance is located in the centre of the front tower wall. The main component part of the church is covered with a gable roof. Over the nave, there is a small steeple with a lantern. The tower is topped with a bulbous dome-like roof.

Due to numerous modifications, the original wall paintings have not been preserved; the present ones come from the 20th century. The ceilings were constructed as part of alteration works carried out in the 19th century. The Baroque elements of the interior that are particularly noteworthy include: a choir gallery from 1785

with restored pipe organs from 1903, a Late-Baroque pulpit with a sculpture of John the Apostle, a number of epitaphs, and the side altars.

The site is open to the general public.

compiled by Agata Mucha, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Katowice, 27-08-2014.


  • Pająk Z., Wieczorek M., Konstrukcja kościoła św. Trójcy w Będzinie, [w:] Monografia Spotkanie z Zabytkiem, nr 4 (III), Gliwice 2009, s. 45-59.
  • Pająk Z., Tatarczyk A., Wieczorek M., Uwagi o architekturze kościoła p.w. św. Trójcy w Będzinie- wprowadzenie do zagadnień konstrukcyjnych, [w:] Monografia Spotkanie z Zabytkiem, nr 4 (III), Gliwice 2009, s. 7-24.
  • Pilch J., Leksykon zabytków architektury Górnego Śląska, Warszawa 2008, s. 207.
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, t. VI woj. Katowickie, red. I. Rajduch-Samkowa, J. Samka, z. 1 Powiat będziński i miasta wydzielone Czeladź, Dąbrowa Górnicza, Sosnowiec, inwent. E. Dwornik-Gutowska, M. Gutowski, Warszawa 1961, s. 1-3.
  • z dn. 26-08-2014

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: XIV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Plebańska 2, Będzin
  • Location: Voivodeship śląskie, district będziński, commune Będzin
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland


report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area