Manor house, Będkowice
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The manor house in Będkowice is one of the few surviving Renaissance moated manor houses in Silesia, dating back to somewhere around the mid-16th century.

History

Built during the Renaissance period (1546) for Nickel von Gelhorn and surrounded by a moat, the manor house later became the property of the von Zedlitz-Leipe family (from 1584 to 1847, when it was inherited by the von Mutius family). The von Mutius family remained in possession of the manor in the years 1847-1945. Initially a fortified manor, the building is believed to have originally featured a tall gable roof with Early Renaissance decorative gables. In the 1st half of the 18th century, it was replaced with a hip roof, with the interior layout and décor being likewise subjected to a redesign; the architectural detailing of the façade was also modified, with the plasterwork window surrounds being added during that period. In 1844, Karl Adolf von Zedlitz conducted the restoration of the manor house.

In 1857, the immediate surroundings of the mansion changed markedly as a result of the decision of Karl von Mutius to erect an ensemble of new manor farm buildings in its immediate vicinity. During the late 19th century, a line of trees was planted on the causeway separating the moat and the pond, while in the early 20th century, a new pond accompanied by an orchard was created in the eastern part of the manor. The gardens located north of the manor house and the ponds have continued to serve utility purposes, as they have done in the past.

From the final quarter of the 19th century, the Będkowice manor - including the manor house itself - were held by various tenants.

Description

The moated manor house, maintaining spatial links with the nearby grange, is located in the middle of the village, preceded by a two-span brick and stone bridge which spans the southern section of the moat.

The building itself is a two-storey structure with a basement, designed on a rectangular floor plan and covered with a hip roof clad with ceramic roof tiles, with a series of eyebrow dormers breaking the monotony of its surface. The façades of the manor house are topped with a crowning cornice, while the windows are adorned with sandstone window surrounds as well as by profiled plasterwork bands. The front façade features an ornate sandstone portal dating back to the Renaissance period, with decorative reveals and an inscription on the architrave referring to the act of foundation of the manor and incorporating the date 1546 as well as the coat of arms of Nickel von Gelhorn. Above the portal there is a marble plaque with an inscription which refers to the members of the von Zedlits-Liepe noble family who owned the house in the years 1546-1812, accompanied by the family coat of arms. The rear façade features a simple, granite portal as well as embrasures in the basement-level walls, which can also be seen in the side façades. The interior follows a two-bay layout and features a vestibule which stretches across the entire width of the manor house. One of the downstairs rooms features a double barrel vault with pronounced groins, while another boasts a wooden ceiling with painted Regency ornamentation and a central panel incorporating a hunting scene, dating back to the period between 1720 and 1730. The other rooms feature simple beamed ceilings. The building also boasts three profiled (fasciated) sandstone portals from 1546, a Late Baroque fireplace surround from ca. 1720-1730 - with lavish plasterwork decorations incorporating the von Zeidlitz coat of arms - as well as a cylindrical tiled stove from the late 18th/early 19th century, designed in the Classicist style. Inside the vestibule there is a marble inscription plaque commemorating the restoration of the manor house in 1844 by K. A. con Zeidlitz, which was originally embedded above the portal in the rear façade.

The manor house is private property and is therefore not open to visitors.

Compiled by Beata Sebzda, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 2-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Degen K., Die Bau- und Kunstdenkmäler des Landkreises Breslau, Frankfurt am Main 1965, s.25-27.
  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce. Seria Nowa, t. IV, z. 2 Województwo wrocławskie, Sobótka, Katy wrocławskie, pod red. J. Pokory i M. Zlata, Warszawa 1991, s.1-2, il.142, 156, 382, 383.
  • Różycka-Rozpędowska E., Późnorenesansowe dwory śląskie. Z badań nad sztuką świecką Śląska XVI-XVII w. [w:] Sztuka około 1600 r. Materiały Sesji SHS. Warszawa 1974, s. 254-255, 265.
  • Różycka-Rozpędowska E., Dwór w Będkowicach. Studium historyczno-konserwatorskie, inwentaryzacja fotograficzna, inwentaryzacja pomiarowa. Wrocław 1975, msp. WUOZ Wrocław
  • Słownik geografii turystycznej Sudetów, t. 20. Masyw Ślęży, Równina Świdnicka, Kotlina Dzierżoniowska. Wrocław 2005, s. 78-80.
  • Pilch J., Leksykon zabytków architektury Dolnego Śląska. Warszawa 2005, s. 13.
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warszawa 2006, s. 101.

General information

  • Type: manor house
  • Chronology: 1546 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Będkowice
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district wrocławski, commune Sobótka - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area