Filial Church of the Holy Trinity - Zabytek.pl
woj. opolskie, pow. namysłowski, gm. Namysłów-obszar wiejski
What has remained unchanged is the originally designed Gothic layout of the church, consisting of the nave, a little narrower and straight-ended chancel with a sacristy to the north and a tower to the west. Among the old fittings and equipment, attention should be drawn to the late Gothic altar triptych and the epitaph left by the Protestants who used the temple during the Reformation.
The first mention of “a newly built church in Baldwinowice” comes from 1414. In that time, a stone chancel with a sacristy was already in use. It can be assumed that the entire church had been intended as a brick structure, but at that stage the construction project came to a halt. The chancel was provisionally terminated from the west or an extra aisle was added made of some unstable structure - all that with a view to making the church usable. The existing nave was added after the church was taken over by the Protestants in 1583. The tower was erected in the 2nd half of the 17th century. From 1654 the church served a Roman Catholic parish again.
Today's interior decor is the result of repeated works carried out in the 19th and early 20th century. The polychromy on the walls was repainted a number of times. The existing interior painting was produced by the painter and conservator Alfred Schneider in 1907. Yet, he preserved one painting of the first half of the 18th century. He also renovated the main altar.
The fittings (altars, pulpit, founder’s pews, sculptures and paintings) were funded in the period from the 16th to the 19th century. The organ casing from the early 18th century was purchased for the church in Baldwinowice in Rychtal in 1860.
The church stands in the east part of the village, on the south side of the road, surrounded by a small, fenced cemetery. The church is oriented towards the east. The square-shaped chancel and the narrower sacristy on the north side were built of brick and supported by corner buttresses. The chancel extends into a rectangular, log structure nave and a post-and-beam tower. At the south wall of the nave, there is a porch (added later) built in the post-and-beam technique. The wooden structure of the walls is covered by weatherboards: vertical in the porch and tower and horizontal in the nave. The gable roofs are shingled. The tower is divided into two levels by a canopy. The upper, narrower part of the tower is octagonal. The brick walls, with the exception of buttresses, are covered with plaster. The splayed window openings are segment-headed, so is the door to the sacristy. The nave is lit by rectangular windows arranged in two axes: from the north and south.
The interiors are covered with flat ceilings, only the sacristy has a cradle vaulting. The ceilings are covered with Baroque polychromy with a wavy plant motif. The west part of the nave houses a choir supported by two columns, with a framed and paneled balustrade decorated with the images of angels with instruments. It adjoins a gallery (added later), also resting on two pillars and having a board balustrade, which extends along the south wall. The ornamental murals were made in 1907. From the former interior painting, only one Baroque scene of the Crucifixion has remained on the north wall of the nave. The profiled rood beam features a Baroque crucifix.
The late Baroque main altar with a carved scene of the Coronation of Mary with Joachim and Anna dates from 1720. The reredos of the late Gothic side altar - a triptych of ca. 1525. - houses a statue of the Virgin and Child with Saint Anne. The wings of the altar closet bear the images of Sts Barbara and Catherine and the scene of the Visitation. The top of the altar was added later, ca. 1700. The church also boasts a Renaissance pulpit, founder’s pews and a Baroque organ. The painted epitaph of Ulbrycht Herttl (1626) with the coats of arms and the image of the founder kneeling before a crucifix (south wall of the nave, under the gallery) comes from the Reformation period.
The monument is available to visitors.
Compiled by Joanna Szot, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 06-08-2014.
- Degen K., Bleyl W., Werbik W., Focke F., Die Bau- und Kunstdenkmäler des Kreises Namslau (Die Bau- und Kunstdenkmäler Schlesiens. Regierungsbezirk Breslau, Bd. 2), Breslau 1939, s. 49-53.
- Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. 7: Województwo opolskie, z. 7: Powiat namysłowski, Warszawa 1965, s. 1-2.
- Lutsch H., Verzeichnis der Kunstdenkmäler der Provinz Schlesien, Bd. 2: Die Kunstdenkmäler der Landkreise des Reg.-Bezirks Breslau, Breslau 1889, s. 497.
- Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warszawa 2006, s. 97.
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_16_BK.18726, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_16_BK.18371