The Parish Church of St Catherine - Zabytek.pl
woj. wielkopolskie, pow. średzki, gm. Dominowo-gmina wiejska
The building was founded by a monastery.
Bagrowo is a village whose history goes back to the Middle Ages. It used to be owned by knights. In the 15 century and at the beginning of the 16th century, the village belonged to the Bagrowski, Celm, and Prus families, from 1536 — to Jan and Stanisław Chłapowski, in the 17th century — to the Dobiński family of the Trąby coat of arms, and in the 18th century — the Czacki family. Written records mentioned a local parish for the first time in 1404. The first church, built in the 17th century, fell into ruin. The contemporary owner of the village could not afford its reconstruction and renovation and in 1677, he entrusted the management of the church to Franciscans. It was under their management from 1677 to 1882; the monastery also looked after the parish. The present church, founded by the Franciscans, was built in 1751 and consecrated in 1752. In 1842, the church in Bagrowo temporarily became a filial church of the parish in Mączniki. In 1937, the tower was made lower due to its poor technical condition. In 1953, the wall base was replaced. In the years 1969-1970, the tower structure was reinforced, in the years 1987-1989 — the roof covering was replaced, and in the years 1990-1991 — the ceiling and the walls were reinforced. In 1992, the sacristy was renovated.
The village of Bagrowo is located 8 km to the north-east of Środa Wielkopolska. The Church of St Catherine in Bagrowo is situated in the northern part of the village, on the east side of a road leading to Zdziechowice. The church is oriented to the east. It has a wooden log structure resting on a brick wall base. It has one nave (with no aisles) and a lower chancel, terminating in a polygon and adjoined by a brick side chapel covered with a mono-pitched roof, formerly used as a morgue. The two-ridge roof of the nave and the chancel is covered with roof tiles. A two-storeyed tower with a porch at the ground floor level, having a post-and-beam structure and a flat roof topped with a cross, adjoins the nave on the west side. Inside, there are flat ceilings. Two posts support a choir gallery, enclosed with a balustrade that bulges out in the centre. The rood beam is adorned with a crucifix and two sculptures of angels. A decorative iron door from the 18th century leads from the church to the sacristy. The main altar dates from the 2nd half of the 17th century and the two side altars — from the 18th century. Over the 18th-century door leading to the sacristy, there is the date of the church consecration. The graveyard surrounding the church contains e.g. the late-classical stone grave of Edward Dobrogojski, who died in the Battle of Miłosław in 1848.
The church can be visited from the outside. Holy Masses: Sundays at 10:00 AM, public holidays falling on weekdays at 4:30 PM. The parish office is open after Holy Masses.
compiled by Tomasz Łuczak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 16-11-2015.
- Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. 5, Woj. wielkopolskie, red. Ruszczyńska Teresa, Sławska Aniela, z. 24, Pow. średzki, Warszawa 1964, s. 1-2.
- Kościoły drewniane w Wielkopolsce, red. Mariusz Grzebalski, Poznań 2004, s. 11.
- Wielkopolska. Słownik krajoznawczy, red. Łęcki Włodzimierz, Poznań 2002, s. 246-248.
- http://kosciolydrewniane.pl - odsłona z listopada 2015 r.
- Bagrowo - kościół paraf pw. św. Katarzyny, Karta ewidencyjna zabytków architektury i budownictwa, oprac. Krzysztof Jodłowski, 1995, Archiwum Wielkopolskiego Wojewódzkiego Konserwatora Zabytków w Poznaniu.
- Łukaszewicz Józef, Krótki opis historyczny kościołów parochialnych w dawnej diecezyi poznańskiej, t.1, Poznań 1858, s. 321-323.
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_30_BK.167656, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_30_BK.51893