Palace and park complex, currently a hotel and a training and conference centre - Zabytek.pl
woj. wielkopolskie, pow. ostrowski, gm. Ostrów Wielkopolski-gmina wiejska
After 1879, on the initiative of the Radziwiłł family, the palace underwent major modifications according to a design by Zygmunt Gorgolewski, a leading representative of the historicist movement whose projects include e.g. the redesign of the Gołuchów Castle for Izabella Działyńska née Czartoryska. The distinguishing feature of the complex is that it has retained its original character of a secluded hunting residence nestling among the woods.
The palace was built in the Classicist style for Michał Biernacki of the Poraj coat of arms, among the woods of the Marczewskie farmstead, being part of the Czekanów estate, during the late 18th and the early 19th century. In the 1st half of the 19th century, a landscape park was established and a group of utility buildings were built.
In 1876, the manor was purchased by Duke Ferdynand Radziwiłł. In 1879, he decided to modify the existing classical palace and entrusted the task of redesigning the building to Zygmunt Gorgolewski, an eminent representative of the historicist movement.
Before the works were completed, in 1882, Ferdynand’s brother, Duke Karol Radziwiłł, became the new owner of the estate. He had a chapel created inside the palace in 1891. Fitting out the building’s interior with furniture (imported e.g. from Berlin), works of art, and family keepsakes was only completed at the end of the 19th century.
Following Karol’s death in 1907, the palace — which was already known as Bagatela at that time — was inherited by his son, Duke Władysław Radziwiłł, who was the last owner of the estate before the war. After World War II, the palace was plundered and then it was frequently vandalised.
A few years later, the palace became the seat of the administration of the Forest Inspectorate in Taczanów. It was then that its original mansard roof was replaced with a half-hip roof covered with roof tiles. The interior was also modified, e.g. the impressive, two-storeyed oval salon in the southern suite of rooms was divided into two separate storeys with a ceiling.
In 1985, the palace became private property once again and a full-scale restoration began; the building regained its original appearance (e.g. the slate-covered mansard roof was reconstructed) and was restored to its former glory. Today, it houses a hotel and a conference and training centre.
The Bagatela residential complex, surrounded by woodlands, is located to the east of the village of Czekanów, on the south side of the main access road. The Ołobok river, flowing south of the palace, serves as a natural boundary for the entire complex.
The current appearance of the palace is a result of alteration works performed on the original, classicist building, carried out during the 1870s and 1880s. The two-storeyed structure, built on a rectangular floor plan and cuboidal in shape, is made of brick and covered with plaster. It has a mansard roof with dormer windows, covered with sheet metal which imitates the original slate covering.
The facades of the palace are adorned with horizontal grooves applied for a rusticated effect, a string course visually separating the two storeys of the structure, and a profiled crowning cornice. The rectangular window openings are framed by plaster window surrounds with keystones. Above all ground floor windows, with the exception of the avant-corps which faces the garden, there are triangular pediments. The dominant feature of the front facade is the central avant-corps, having two storeys and one axis, preceded by a plain portico with two full columns and two engaged columns embedded in the facade, and topped with a triangular pediment. The facade of the avant-corps at the first floor level features pilasters with plain, undecorated bases and capitals and a window positioned on the central axis of the facade and topped with a basket arch. In the centre of the facade overlooking the garden, there is a three-axis, two-storeyed avant-corps having a floor plan in the shape of a circular segment.
The interior of the palace has a two-bay layout with a vestibule positioned on the central axis of the building, in the north suite of rooms. An oval room which forms an extension of the vestibule, located in the south suite of rooms, has windows overlooking the garden. Originally spanning two storeys, it was divided with a ceiling during the second half of the 20th century. The palace has modern interior fittings.
In front of the palace, there is a forecourt with a centrally positioned decorative lawn. The building is surrounded by a landscape park having an area of approx. 2 hectares, bordering a meadow on the south side and passing naturally into the surrounding woodlands.
The site is accessible. The palace currently houses a conference centre and a hotel.
More information can be found at www.bagatela.com.pl (last accessed on 15-10-2014).
compiled by Anna Dyszkant, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 14-10-2014.
- Małyszko S., Majątki wielkopolskie, t. 3: Powiat ostrowski, Szreniawa 1996, s. 11-12.
- Olejniczak M., Powiat ostrowski. Przewodnik, Ostrów Wielkopolski 2007, s. 64-66.
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_30_BK.163172, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_30_BK.158285