Poznaj lokalne zabytki

Wyraź zgodę na lokalizację i oglądaj zabytki w najbliższej okolicy

Zmień ustawienia przeglądarki aby zezwolić na pobranie lokalizacji
This website is using cookies. Learn more.

Cemetery Church of St Joseph - Zabytek.pl

Cemetery Church of St Joseph

church Baborów


woj. opolskie, pow. głubczycki, gm. Baborów - miasto

Built in the 18th century on the site of the former pilgrimage chapel, the Church of St Joseph in Baborów is the only preserved example of sacred wooden architecture in the area of Głubczycki Plateau.

The temple boasts rich painting decoration from the time of its foundation. The interior also features uniform 18th-century equipment and furnishings.


In 1670 a pilgrimage chapel dedicated to St Joseph was erected outside the town boundaries. In the years 1700-1702, a church was built in place of the chapel dedicated to St Joseph and St Barbara. The founder of the church was the parish priest Szymon Piotr Mołoch who occupied this function for many years. The construction material was sponsored by Katharina von Larisch. The polychromy in the church produced by Krauze from Dresden and rich Baroque fittings also come from the same period. In 1802 the church was renovated and its façades were shingled. The cemetery located at the Church of St Joseph today was established in 1836. Before that, the deceased were buried in a cemetery at the parish church. The cemetery area was enlarged several times, first in 1853, then in 1868 and 1886. In 1876 the turret at the crossing of the nave and transept was dismantled. The roofing was replaced in 1890 (shingles was changed into slate), 1975 and 1982 when the designers returned to the original wooden material. In 1920, the church underwent complete renovation, and in the last quarter of the 20th century the fittings and equipment were refurbished.


The church is located on a small hill, at the fork of Kościószki Street and a dirt road, parallel to Głubczycka Street. The church is surrounded by a walled-in cemetery with lime trees.

The temple was built of larch wood as a log structure on a stone foundation. It was built on a Greek cross plan with three arms with a three-sided termination and the fourth (south) terminated with a straight wall. The north arm of the cross houses the chancel; it touches a rectangular extension - the sacristy with a lodge over it. In the south part of the church, there is a quadrilateral porch with the main entrance. Over the porch, there is a choir resting on pillars. Side entrances are located in the south transept walls. The church is covered with a double-pitched roof, and the external walls are shingled. In the sough façade, over the door, there is a bas-relief of St Joseph with Child Jesus.

The interior has a false barrel vaulting featuring a polychromy made during the construction of the church by Johann Gottfried Krauze from Dresden. It comprises four large figural scenes merged with floral ornamentation and inscription fields. In addition, the church has a uniform baroque fittings commissioned in the time of its construction.

The historic monument is open to visitors. The church used occasionally; it is managed by the Parish of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Baborów.

Compiled by Aleksandra Ziółkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 29-10-2014.


  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. 7: Województwo opolskie, z. 2: Powiat głubczycki, Warszawa 1965, s. 4-6.
  • Burgmeister L., Wiggert E., Holztürme der preussischen Ostprovinzen Schlesien, etc, Berlin 1905, s. 40
  • Lutsch H., Verzeichnis der Kunstdenkmäler der Provinz Schlesien, t. 4: Die Kunstdenkmäler des Reg. Bezirks Oppeln, Breslau 1892, s. 161-162.
  • Ptock H., Baborowski kościół św. Józefa, jedyny barokowy kościół na ziemi głubczyckiej, [w:] Kalendarz Głubczycki 2000, Głubczyce 1999, s. 110-113.
  • Karta ewidencyjna, Kościół filialny-cmentarny pw. św. Józefa, oprac. Żurakowski W., 1999, Archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu ochrony Zabytków w Opolu.

Category: church

Architecture: nieznana

Building material:  wood

Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records

Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_16_BK.16187, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_16_BK.10179