Weź na spytki iławskie zabytki
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

users tour Dariusz Paczkowski Iława

Weź na spytki iławskie zabytki

9

several hours

warmińsko-mazurskie

Railway station
Iława

Railway station erected in the historicist style (neo-Gothic) featuring surviving original interior fittings. The extensive functional programme incorporated into the design of the station is a testimony to the significance of Iława in the history of the region.

History

The first railway station in Iława was opened in 1872 following the opening of the railway from Toruń to Wystruć (then known as Insterburg, currently known as Chernyakhovsk and situated in the Kaliningrad Oblast). The new building of the railway station (which has survived to this day) was built in 1905. At that time, Iława was an important railway junction, a point of intersection of two main railway lines: the 1872 Toruń - Wystruć line (from 1872 onwards) and the Malbork - Mława line (Mława-Iława-Prabuty-Malbork - from 1876-1877 onwards). In addition, in 1902 the single-track line leading from Iława to Brodnica via Nowe Miasto Lubawskie was opened. After World War I, trains to Berlin, Warsaw, Wrocław, Olsztyn and Malbork departed every day from the Main Station in Iława. During the interwar period the railway station in Iława was classified as a first class railway station according to the nomenclature used during that time. After the end of World War II, the railway station became the property of the PKP [the Polish State Railways]. The existence of this important railway junction prompted the decision to relocate the district authorities from Susz to Iława. During this period, the families of railway workers accounted for the majority of the new residents of Iława. In the following years, the railway station continued to serve its original purpose. In 2006 it was entered into the register of historic buildings. In 2010-2012 a comprehensive restoration and revitalisation was carried out. In 2011, the complex of railway platforms was also entered into the register of historic buildings (the entry pertaining to the roofing and the underground passageway with exits to platforms No. 1, 2 and 3). The railway station in Iława is currently used as a passenger and freight station.

Description

The railway station in Iława is located in the south-eastern part of the city, its front facade facing the north-west. Opposite the railway station, on a hill, there are two historic railway water towers dating back to the period when the railway station was extended. The railway station in Iława is a monumental structure. It is a brick building with a basement, built on an elongated rectangular floor plan and featuring a complex, elaborate shape. The facades are clad with clinker brick with some plastered detailing (cornice, friezes, blind windows). The window openings are topped with segmental and pointed arches. The dominant section of the building is its main, two-storey part with a loft, covered with a half-hip roof clad with ceramic roof tiles, with a number of windows jutting out of the roof surface. The front (western) facade features decorative buttresses and an avant-corps crowned with a stepped gable incorporating a set of pointed-arch stained glass windows depicting, among others, the coat of arms of the town of Iława (stained glass windows are present in both of the avant-corps projecting out of the longer facades of the structure. The annexes which adjoin the main section of the building are lower than the said section and feature a variety of roof shapes (a flat roof, a gable roof with a hip end and a multi-hipped roof). An additional section with a roof terrace adjoins the building in the north-east. The railway station building retains the original interior layout. The ceiling of the central reception hall is decorated with panels adorned with floral motifs and with coat of arms of the city and the former East Prussian province. Inside the building there is also a restaurant and ticket offices which are separated from the main hall by three rectangular pillars connected by segmental arches. The walls inside the building are decorated with foliate scrollwork. The original windows of the ticket offices, the period wall panelling, wainscoting, wooden doors and windows, balustrades of the staircase and the floor tiles in the waiting room have all been preserved. The building underwent a comprehensive restoration.

Accessible historic building.

Compiled by Maurycy Domino, 8.12.2014.

 

Bibliography

  • Piątkowski A., Kolej Wschodnia w latach 1842 - 1880. Z dziejów transportu kolejowego na Pomorzu Wschodnim, Olsztyn 1996, p. 35-36, 39-40, 43, 165-166, 170.
  • Karta ewidencyjna zabytków architektury i budownictwa, Dworzec kolejowy w Iławie, oprac. U. Ulatowska, P. Żukowska, Olsztyn 2008, archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków w Olsztynie

transport time to the next site

6 min

dom
Iława

transport time to the next site

3 min

hala miejska, ob. kino
Iława

transport time to the next site

7 min

wieża ciśnień
Iława

transport time to the next site

9 min

kościół parafialny pw. Przemienienia Pańskiego
Iława

transport time to the next site

2 min

dom
Iława

transport time to the next site

10 min

wieża ciśnień
Iława

transport time to the next site

16 min

pozostałości murów obronnych
Iława

transport time to the next site

1 min

ratusz
Iława

Print this tour

This is user generated tour. Report terms violation.

Sites from that tour

zgłoś naruszenie