Szlakiem gotyckich zabytków architektury sakralnej gminy Miłoradz
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

users tour Jacek Węgielewski

Szlakiem gotyckich zabytków architektury sakralnej gminy Miłoradz

18

several hours

pomorskie

kościół parafialny pw. św. Michała Archanioła
Miłoradz

30 minutes

dzwonnica
Miłoradz

kostnica
Miłoradz

cmentarz
Miłoradz

transport time to the next site

8 min

kościół parafialny pw. św. Jerzego
Stara Kościelnica

30 minutes

transport time to the next site

10 min

Cemetery Church of Saints Simon and Jude the Apostles
Gnojewo

15 minuts

transport time to the next site

1 min

Wayside Shrine
Gnojewo

The Gothic wayside shrine in Gnojewo is a unique structure not only in the region but also in the country.

History

The earliest mention of the name of the village of Gnojewo (Gnoyow, Gnojow) is in a document for Stara Kościelnica () of 1323 (description of the boundaries). Four voloks for the pastor were mentioned in the foundation charter for the village of Gnojewo dated 1338, which was issued by Dietrich von Altenburg, Grand Master of the Teutonic Knights. The first half-timbered phase of the Gothic Church of Saint Simon and Jude Thaddaeus dates back to the early 14th century; an additional layer of masonry was added in the following decades of the 14th century, and the northern aisle was constructed in the late 15th century. It can be assumed that the construction of the shrine took place in parallel to the work on the last fifteenth-century extension to the church. The shrine is mentioned in the visitation records of the church dated 1724. Conrad Steinbrecht (Chief Conservator of the Malbork Castle in 1882-1921) paid attention to the valuable shrine and described the structure in his article published in Zeitschrift fuer christliche Kunst of 1892. During World War 2, the construction work on the so-called “Berlinka” road involved the relocation of the shrine to its current place; originally, the shrine was located at a crossroads. In 2009, the structure was restored by the municipality from the funds received from the German-Polish Foundation for the Preservation of Cultural Monuments.

Description

It is situated on the north side of national road no. 22, on the axis of the eastern entrance to Gnojewo; the front of the shrine faces the south. The Late Gothic structure is erected on the floor plan of a square with a side of 1.95 metres. The tower-like cuboidal two-storey body is set on a wide low plinth and supported by four arcades. The roof of the shrine has the shape of an irregular barrel clad with bricks arranged in a flat pattern; the shrine is crowned with one centrally positioned and four corner pinnacles. The brick structure (with little use of stone in the plinth section) is faced with brick using profiled mouldings; the lower sections features a groin vault; the uppers is topped by a barrel vault; the niches, intrados and blind windows are plastered and whitewashed. The façades of the ground floor feature low semicircular arcades embedded in plastered blind windows separated by an arch (the arcade to the west is reduced to an oculus; the blind windows to the east incorporates a delicate tracery motif in plaster). The storeys are separated by a smooth row of plastered frieze and diagonal dripstone. The front of the second storey (south side) features a pointed-arch blind window, which incorporates a lower semicircular arcade and reinforcing arch (to the east are semicircular blind windows with vertical bar tracery and narrow slits). The lower storey features open interior adapted for a statue (currently a statue of Christ); the upper storey is a niche (currently a metal crucifix).

The monument is open to visitors.

compiled by Krystyna Babnis, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Gdańsk, 15-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Schmid B., Bau-und Kunstdenkmäler des Kreises Marienburg (Die Städte Neuteich und Tiegenhof und die lädlichen Ortschaften), Danzig 1919, s. 55-65.
  • Starczewski A. ks., Gotyckie zabytki sakralne na terenie gminy Miłoradz, Sztum 2009, s. 19-39.

transport time to the next site

1 min

kościół parafialny pw. św.św. Apostołów Szymona i Judy
Gnojewo

dzwonnica
Gnojewo

cmentarz ewangelicki
Gnojewo

transport time to the next site

10 min

The parish church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary
Kończewice

15 minuts

An example of a village Gothic church with Baroque interior decor, typical for the Żuławy region.

History

The earliest written mention of Kończewice was made in a document issued by the Grand Master Dietrich von Altenburg in 1338. The very first church that stood in this spot, built on a wooden frame, was probably erected in the second quarter of the 14th century, its dimensions being reflected by the current chancel and middle nave. In the second half of the 14th century, the original structure was replaced with a brick one, with the entire church being extended to accommodate side naves and tower (the east facade dating back to around 1380 and the southern one having been added at a later date). The tower and the western sections of the side naves date back to the 15th century. In 1742, the wooden structure of the tower was subjected to thorough renovation works; the wood shingle roof cladding was restored in 1888. The interior was renovated in years 1903-1904; it was also during that period that the pipe organ was modified (by Bruno Goebel from Königsberg, a pipe organ master); the Baroque organ casing, however, remained unchanged. During World War II, the church suffered no damage. In years 1981-1984, the ceiling and roofs were renovated and efforts were made to combat the rising damp in the walls. In 2002 the roof was repaired and conservation works were performed on the pipe organ, along with the organ casing and tabernacle. In years 2009-2012 renovation works were performed on the interior fittings, including the main altar, the ambo, the choir stalls and the epitaph plaque.

Description

The church is a free-standing building oriented towards the east, located in the centre of the village, on the northern side of the historic road from Tczew to Malbork. The church is surrounded by a cemetery and a group of old trees. The floor plan of this Gothic church reflects the fact that it was built in stages; it is a three-nave church with a discernible chancel, narrower than the nave and rectangular in shape, and a tower with a square base incorporated into the nave structure. A rectangular sacristy is located on the northern side of the presbytery, while a small porch abuts the northern nave. The side naves are extended towards the western wall of the tower. The building features a wide array of embellishments, with decorative gable ends in the east and south as well as the monumental brick tower base which blends into the mass of the building. The shape of the church is dominated by a tall tower with an overhanging octagonal belfry and pyramid-shaped spire. The chancel, sacristy as well as the northern and central nave are covered by a common gable roof, while the southern nave features a separate gable roof positioned perpendicularly to the main roof ridge; the annexes abutting the tower are covered with shed roofs. The building is made of brick; the sections built in the Gothic style feature an alternating brickwork pattern. The gable walls of the northern nave are half-timbered. The upper sections of the tower feature a wooden structure. The roofs are supported by timber roof trusses. The roof of the tower is clad with oak shingles, while ceramic roof tiles are used for the main body of the church and for the chancel. The ceilings are wooden, with a beam structure concealed by wooden boards; a barrel vault made of ceramic brick rises above the sacristy. The church has red brick facades supported by buttresses. The chancel walls are decorated with an arcaded frieze. The windows and portals are mostly topped with pointed arches, the blind windows set into the southern and eastern gable ends and into the underlying facades serving as a form of embellishment. The western wall of the church features retrofitted grave slabs dated 1404 and 1651. The interior is arranged according to a three-nave layout; the naves are separated by pointed arcades resting upon octagonal columns. The presbytery is integrated with the nave to a large extent, the rood arch being entirely absent. The interior fittings mostly date back to the 18th century and include the main altar, the two side altars, the ambo, the epitaph plaque and the pipe organ casing. Other fittings include a granite Gothic baptismal font and stoup, two 16th century bells and two 17th century choir stalls.

Limited access to the historic building. Interior tours available upon prior appointment.

Compiled by Krystyna Babnis, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Gdańsk, 24.06.2014.

Bibliography

  • Antoni M. von (compilation), Dehio-Handbuch der Kunstdenkmäler West- und Ostpreuβen, München-Berlin 1993.
  • Schmid B., Bau-und Kunstdenkmäler des Kreises Marienburg (Die Städte Neuteich und Tiegenhof und die lädlichen Ortschaften), Danzig 1919.

transport time to the next site

6 min

kaplica cmentarna
Bystrze

15 minuts

transport time to the next site

1 min

dom podcieniowy
Bystrze

15 minuts

transport time to the next site

12 min

kostnica
Mątowy Wielkie

cmentarz ze starodrzewem
Mątowy Wielkie

plebania
Mątowy Wielkie

Parish Church of SS Peter and Paul the Apostles
Mątowy Wielkie

30 minutes

The church is a representative example of the local building tradition, in which the stylistic convention of the Gothic era was filtered through the artistry of the local architects and builders. The brick structure of the church has retained—as a kind of inclusion—the elements of the original frame structure (eastern wall along with the gable and two eastern spans of the southern wall). The form given to the church in the Middle Ages has not changed and is now the most notable example of the sacred architecture of Żuławy, with all the elements of the body being preserved. Saint Dorothea of Montau (1347-1394) is still the most famous resident of the village. She was a hermitess and visionary, patroness of Pomerania and the Elbląg Diocese, and was baptized in the local church on 6 February 1347.

History

The first written mention of Montow dates back to 1321. The foundation charter was issued for the village by Ludolf König, Grand Master of the Teutonic Knights, in the 1340s. Given the disappearance of the act, in 1383 the document was reissued. The new version of the charter contained information on the church in Mątowy Wielkie (German: Groß Montau). The first church in Mątowy was built in the first half of the 14th century as a small oriented frame structure. Soon afterwards, part of the original structure was surrounded with a brick wall on the outside, and another part was demolished and completely replace with the wall. The lower sections of the wooden tower were replaced with two brick storeys. The next stage involved the construction of a side nave, arcades between the naves, and sacristy. The whole process of construction of the church was completed shortly after the beginning of the 14th century. During the wars from 1626 to 1629 and in 1740, the church was damaged and repaired. The furnishings from the first half of the 18th century have survived to this day. During World War 2, the structure did not suffer any major damage. In 2012-2013, the church underwent complete renovation financed with the funds from the European Regional Development Fund (façades, roofs, ceilings).

Description

The church is oriented. It is located in the southern part of the village, in the close vicinity of the Vistula river bank. The structure is surrounded by an active graveyard with old-growth trees, and adjoined by a rectory and associated buildings. The Gothic church was built on a rectangular floor plan, has two naves without a separate chancel. To the west, it is adjoined by a massive tower on a square plan. The entire structure is complemented by a square porch to the south and a small rectangular sacristy to the north. The body supported by stepped buttresses is dominated by a massive three-storey tower with an octagonal wooden top storey and a tall pyramid dome. The main body of the church is covered with a tall gable roof characterised by a differing roof slope angle; the porch and sacristy are covered with gable roofs. To the east is the main nave and sacristy terminating in the end walls; the side nave is topped by an additional semi-gable; the south porch also features a finial atop. The main body with both annexes was built of brick features is characterised by a partially preserved wooden frame structure (eastern wall and eastern fragment of the southern wall), wooden ceiling (wooden vaulting over the main nave); the sacristy is topped with a barrel vault; the roof truss is made of wood (king post truss in the western sections); the roofs of the main body are clad with monk-and-nun roof tiles. The two lower storeys of the tower are made of brick; the belfry is wooden structure covered with weatherboards; the octagonal dome is clad with wood shingles. The brick façades of the main body with fairly modest ornamentation (low plinth crowned with a cornice and flat plastered frieze under eaves) are partitioned by pointed-arch window openings and stepped buttresses. The eastern façade features four pointed-arch blind windows; the upper parts of the central blind windows incorporate windows; the gable is stepped, has six axes, and no transverse partitions; vertical partitions are marked with pilaster strips, surmounted by octagonal pinnacle. The façades of the tower are decorated with pointed-arch blind windows on three sides; the southern wall additionally incorporates a blind window with six arcades. The main entrance from the west is framed by a two-stepped pointed-arch portal; the northern entrance is rectangular; and the southern entrance (porch) surmounted by a lowered arch. The two-nave interior, partitioned by three arches of arcades resting on two octagonal pillars, is dominated by the southern nave, which is two times wider and slightly taller than the northern one; both naves are covered with painted wooden ceilings; the sacristy is topped with a barrel vault, whereas the porch below the tower with a flat ceiling. The inner eastern wall and part of the southern wall have retained a discernible post-and-beam structure with brick infills. The interior décor and furnishings date back to the first half of the 18th century: painted ceiling and wall paintings on the vaulting of the sacristy, main altar, two side altars, pulpit, baptistr, confessional, set of pews. The preserved original interior fittings include three painted Gothic wooden sculptures: Madonna and Child, Pietà, Pensive Christ, stone baptismal font, and oak sacramentarium.

Limited access to the monument. Viewing of the interior is only possible by prior arrangement.

compiled by Krystyna Babnis, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Gdańsk, 28-08-2015.

Bibliography

  • Schmid B., Bau-und Kunstdenkmäler des Kreises Marienburg (Die Städte Neuteich und Tiegenhof und die lädlichen Ortschaften), Danzig 1919.
  • Dehio-Handbuch der Kunstdenkmäler West- und Ostpreuβen, bearb. von M. Antoni, München-Berlin 1993.

transport time to the next site

24 min

kościół pw. św. Mikołaja
Pogorzała Wieś

15 minuts

Print this tour

This is user generated tour. Report terms violation.

Sites from that tour

zgłoś naruszenie