Drewniane KOŚCIOŁY WIELKOPOLSKI POŁUDNIOWO-WSCHODNIEJ
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

users tour Teresa Palacz

Drewniane KOŚCIOŁY WIELKOPOLSKI POŁUDNIOWO-WSCHODNIEJ

13

two days

wielkopolskie

Church of St John of Nepomuk
Wielki Buczek

30 minutes

The church of St John of Nepomuk in Wielki Buczek (the village was originally called Buczek and this is the name recorded in sources) is an example of a log structure building covered with weatherboards. It is an example of a modest rural wooden church characteristic for this region, surrounded with a village graveyard with tombs of its former owners from the 19th century.

History

The first wooden church was constructed in the 13th century, soon after the village was founded.

During the Reformation, the church area was occupied by religious dissenters, who built a new church.

The church was reclaimed by Catholics in 1666.

After a cholera epidemic in 1772, the town was chartered again close to the old village.

In 1812, the existing church was built, founded by Jan Maurycy Strachwitz, a canon from Wrocław.

Since the end of World War II, the church has been renovated numerous times. The most recent renovation took place in 2006.

In 2000, the church became an independent parish.

Descritpion

The village of Wielki Buczek is situated 16 km to the south of Kępno, by the road from Trzcinica to Rychtal. The church was built at the southern end of the village, to the south of a village road. The graveyard and the church occupy a flat terrain shaped like an elongated rectangle. To the west of the church, there are graves dating back to the 19th century. To the east, there is a functioning graveyard. In the north-eastern corner of the graveyard, a wooden bell tower was built. Around the graveyard, which is surrounded by a wooden picket and concrete fence, contemporary Stations of the Cross have been set up, and deciduous trees and thujas grow there.

The village of Wielki Buczek was first mentioned in Liber fundationis episcopatus Vratislaviensis, which was written down in the era of the bishop from Wierzbno in the years 1295-1305, under the name “Buczek”. In the Middle Ages, the village was owned by the bishops of Wrocław. The first church in the village was founded in the 13th century. During the Reformation, the church area was occupied by religious dissenters, who built a new church. The church was reclaimed by Catholics in 1666. The village, depopulated as a result of wars and a cholera epidemic, was chartered again in 1772. All homesteads in the old village were burnt down and new settlers did not have the courage to build new houses there, which is why the village was chartered in a new place. The existing wooden church was founded in 1812 by Jan Maurycy Strachwitz, a canon from Wrocław and parish priest of Namysłów. In 1845, the estate in Wielki Buczek was handed over to Count Henryk von Strachwitz. In 1873, Wielki Buczek became property of Count Aleksander Friedrich Constantin von Mitschke-Collande, who served as the starost of Ostrzeszów. It was him who moved the district capital from Ostrzeszów to Kępno, which exhibited more dynamic growth, in 1856. An impressive family tomb of the heirs of Wielki Buczek can be found at the graveyard. In 1894, the colonies Szarlota and Okrzyce, the village and the watermill were called “Buczek”. In 1928, the population of Wielki Buczek amounted to 258, with 228 of them being Polish and 30 being German. The church has been renovated numerous times since the end of World War II. Centuries ago, it was a filial church of the church of the Martyrdom (formerly Beheading) of St John in Rychtal. In 2000, it became an independent parish.

The building has a wooden log structure and features a the tower with a post-and-beam structure above the nave to the west; the exterior walls are covered with weatherboards. It is oriented and has a single nave on a nearly-square floor plan, with an elongated chancel, which is narrower than the nave and features a polygonal termination. The chancel is not covered with weatherboards and features a log structure. A sacristy and a small annex adjoin the chancel on the southern side. A porch was added to the nave on the western side. The church nave is higher than the chancel, with a quadrangular tower covered with weatherboards, topped with a bulbous cupola with a lantern, which is clad with wood shingles. Gable roofs above the nave and the chancel, as well as mono-pitched roofs clad with wood shingles. Inside the church, there are flat ceilings with crown moulding. On the western side, there is a choir gallery supported by two wooden pillars. Classicist fittings from the 19th century prevail in the church. On the eastern wall of the chancel, there is a folk crucifix. A painting of St John of Nepomuk is incorporated into the main altar from the 19th century.

The church can be visited from the outside. Visiting the building is possible by prior arrangement. More information about the parish and the Holy Mass schedule can be found on the website of the parish and the Kalisz diocese: www.diecezja.kalisz.pl

compiled by Teresa Palacz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 07-04-2015.

Bibliography

  • Maluśkiewicz P., Drewniane kościoły w Wielkopolsce, Poznań 2004.
  • Anders P., Województwo kaliskie, szkic monograficzny, Poznań 1983.
  • Rocznik Diecezji Kaliskiej - 2002, Kalisz 2002.
  • Łęcki Wł., Wielkopolska - słownik krajoznawczy, Poznań 2002.
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, Ruszczyńska T., Sławska A. (red.), t. 5, z. 7 pow. kępiński, s. 4-5, Warszawa 1958.
  • Janiszewski Józef ks., Powiat kępiński z mapą powiatu na podstawie różnych źródeł, Kępno 1928.

transport time to the next site

49 min

18 min

Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Grębanin

30 minutes

The Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary is a building having a log structure covered with weatherboards. It is an example of a rural wooden church typical of this region. The building, slightly larger following its extension, is typical of the southern part of Greater Poland. It represents wooden architecture characteristic of the Silesian school of the 17th and 18th centuries. The final form of the building was shaped in several visible stages.

History

Before 1510, there used to be a manor house chapel in Grębanin.

In 1615, a new chapel was built; it currently serves as the church chapel.

In 1712, a nave was added to the chapel owing to the efforts of Antoni Stoiński.

A two-storeyed tower was built onto the church in 1850.

In 1873, the filial church of the parish in Baranów underwent full-scale renovations.

On 1 February 1929, a parish was established in Grębanin.

The church was renovated at the end of the 20th century and the beginning of the 21st century. It underwent restoration works in the 1990s, when the church fittings were restored, and after 2011, when the tower and the exterior walls were renovated.

Description

The village of Grębanin is located 4 km to the south of Kępno, in the Baranów Commune.

Its history goes back to the 13th century. At that time, Grębanin was owned by a Cistercian convent in Ołobok. At first, there was a manor house chapel in Grębanin, modified in 1510. It was replaced with a new chapel, which is currently used as the chancel, in 1615. In 1712, a nave was added to the chapel owing to the efforts of Antoni Stoiński. The church tower was erected in 1850. The church underwent full-scale renovation works in 1873, in the 1990s, and after 2011. The graveyard by the church contains a classical tomb of Joachim Kręski, who died in 1795, and his wife Justyna, who died in 1817. There is also a grave of Gabriel Hołubek, a knight of Hetman Jan Zamoyski who died on 24 January 1588 in the Battle of Byczyna. To the east of the church, there is a wooden building which was used a rectory until 1923 and was subsequently converted into a Catholic house and a chapel. The Grębanin Parish was established on 1 February 1929. In 1923, a new rectory was built owing to the efforts of Rev. Józef Janiszewski.

The church is oriented to the east. The building has a log structure, with the exception of the tower, which has a post-and-beam structure; the exterior walls are covered with weatherboards. The church has one nave (no aisles). The chancel, terminating in a polygon, is adjoined by a sacristy on the north side. The nave is slightly higher and wider than the chancel. The tower, having a square floor plan, adjoins the church on the west side; on the north side, there is a porch. The church roofs are covered with weatherboards and the tower and steeple roofs are covered with sheet metal. The steeple over the nave has a Baroque shape. The tower has two storeys and is topped with a four-pitched roof with a lantern. Inside the church, there is a false barrel vault, with the upper logs of the chancel side walls running along the entire length of the nave, supported by profiled posts connected by means of profiled crossbeams. On the rood beam, there is a crucifix from the 2nd half of the 17th century. The music gallery is supported by four posts.

The church has Late-Gothic, Late-Renaissance (the main altar from 1629), and Baroque fittings. The main altar incorporates a Late-Gothic statue of Mary with Child, regarded as having miraculous properties. Particularly interesting elements include side altars from the 17th and 18th centuries, dedicated to Mary with Child and Saints Catherine and Barbara, Adoration of the Child, the Holy Family, and the Stigmatisation of St Francis. In the tower, there is a bell from 1687, cast by a Wrocław company of Zygmunt Götz’s. In the porch, there is a list of 86 persons coming from the areas covered by the Grębanin Parish who died in the years 1914-1920 on battlefields in France, Belgium, Russia, and Poland.

The historic monument can be visited from the outside. Visiting the building inside is possible by prior arrangement. More information about the parish and the Holy Mass schedule can be found on the website of the parish and the Kalisz Diocese: www.diecezja.kalisz.pl

compiled by Teresa Palacz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 04-02-2015.

Bibliography

  • Anders P., Województwo kaliskie, szkic monograficzny, Poznań 1983.
  • Janiszewski J. ks., Powiat kępiński z mapą powiatu na podstawie różnych źródeł, Kępno 1928.
  • Łęcki W., Wielkopolska - słownik krajoznawczy, Poznań 2002.
  • Maluśkiewicz P., Drewniane kościoły w Wielkopolsce, Poznań 2004.
  • Rocznik Diecezji Kaliskiej - 2002, Kalisz 2002.
  • Ruszczyk G., Architektura drewniana w Polsce, Warszawa 2009, s. 500.
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, t. 5, z. 7: Powiat kępiński, Warszawa 1958, s. 6-7.

transport time to the next site

15 min

6 min

Church of Saints Lawrence and Andrew
Baranów

30 minutes

The Church of Saints Lawrence and Andrew has a log structure covered with weatherboards. It is an example of a rural wooden church typical of this region. Its form is typical of the southern part of Greater Poland. It represents wooden architecture characteristic of the Silesian school of the 17th and 18th centuries.

History

A local parish was established by the wooden Church of St Adalbert in 1400.

The next church was built in Baranów in the years 1505-1631.

The present church was built in 1732; it replaced a previous church, which had been built following a huge fire in Baranów in 1631. The new building was founded by Zofia Stoińska.

The church was renovated in the years 1748 and 1770.

In 1823, the two-tower façade of the church burnt down.

A Romanesque Revival bell tower was erected by the church in 1863.

In 1869, the Chapel of St Adalbert was built onto the south wall of the nave using wood coming from a church that had been dismantled in Słupia nearby Kępno.

In the years 1915-1917, the church underwent full-scale renovations; the walls were covered with paintings.

In 1905-1907, a brick rectory was built.

After 2000, the church walls and roof were renovated.

Description

At first, written records mentioned Baranów as a village — the property of a Cisterian convent in Ołobok (until 1326). In 1426, it was granted municipal rights as a private town. After the town of Kępno (approx. 2 km to the north-west of Baranów) was granted municipal rights after 1660, Baranów was slowly falling into decline, until it lost its municipal rights in 1907. The present church is situated north-east of the market square, which is a remnant of the previous municipal layout (the urban layout is listed in the register of monuments under No. 667/A, entry dated 15.04.1993), at the intersection of Kościelna and Młyńska Streets. Most likely, the previous church was also located at that site.

The Baranów parish was established by the wooden Church of St Adalbert in 1400, before the village was granted municipal rights. The church, built in 1505, burned down in a huge fire of the village in 1631. Another church, completed in 1635, lasted less than 100 years. The current wooden church was erected in the years 1732-1734. The church steeple was constructed in 1844 and the Chapel of St Adalbert was built in 1869. The church is surrounded by a former graveyard whose outline approximates a rectangle. A path runs around the church. The area of the former graveyard is overgrown with grass, with a number of deciduous trees. In the western part of the cemetery, there is a Romanesque Revival, two-storeyed bell tower erected before 1863. By its south wall, there are graves of the Wężyk family — the owners of the Baranów and Mroczeń estates. In the south-western part, there are graves of local parish-priests. In the eastern part, there is a statue of Christ on a plinth and a grotto of Mary the Mother of God.

The building has a wooden log structure; its exterior walls are covered with weatherboards. It is oriented towards the east and has one nave (with no aisles). The chancel terminates in a polygon; it is adjoined by a sacristy on the north side. The chancel is lower than the nave. A newer annexe adjoins the Chapel of St Adalbert and the nave. There is a porch by the west façade. The chancel and the nave have separate gable roofs covered with wood-shingles. The steeple, having a shape characteristic of the Baroque period, was constructed in 1844. The chancel and the nave are covered with a common false barrel vault, with the upper logs of the chancel side walls running along the entire length of the nave, supported by a profiled beam and profiled posts. The chapel features a corbel (false) dome. The chapel opens to the nave with an arcade decorated with fragments of sculptures coming from 17th- and 18th-century altars. At the apex of the arcade, there is a sculpture of Christ of Sorrows. The music gallery is supported by four profiled posts. On the rood beam, there is a Baroque crucifix and Baroque sculptures of Mary the Mother of God and St John. The walls are covered with paintings made in c. 1915. The church fittings are mainly Baroque and classical in character.

The church can be viewed from the outside. Visiting the building inside is possible by prior arrangement. More information about the parish and the Holy Mass schedule can be found on the website of the parish and the Kalisz diocese: www.diecezja.kalisz.pl

compiled by Teresa Palacz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 05-02-2015.

Bibliography

  • Maluśkiewicz P., Drewniane kościoły w Wielkopolsce, Poznań 2004.
  • Anders P., Województwo kaliskie, szkic monograficzny, Poznań 1983.
  • Rocznik Diecezji Kaliskiej - 2002, Kalisz 2002.
  • Łęcki Wł., Wielkopolska - słownik krajoznawczy, Poznań 2002.
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, Ruszczyńska T., Sławska A. (red.), t. 5, z. 7 pow. kępiński, s. 6-7, Warszawa 1958.
  • Janiszewski Józef ks., Powiat kępiński z mapą powiatu na podstawie różnych źródeł, Kępno 1928.
  • Ruszczyk Grażyna, Architektura drewniana w Polsce, Warszawa 2009, s. 500.

transport time to the next site

15 min

6 min

St Martin Church
Donaborów

30 minutes

The Church of St Martin is a log structure covered with weatherboards. It is an example of a rural wooden church typical of the southern parts of Greater Poland. It represents wooden architecture characteristic of the Silesian school of the 17th and 18th centuries.

History

A parish was established by the wooden Church of St Martin in 1405.

In 1614, a tower with a belfry was built onto the west wall of the existing church.

The present building was probably constructed in the 1st quarter of the 18th century.

In 1892, the church tower underwent full-scale repair and renovation works.

The church was renovated in 1928. The interior was made higher and some of its structural components were replaced. The roofs were covered with new wood shingles. The flat ceilings were replaced with a barrel vault.

In the years 1950-1960, the walls were covered with paintings.

In the 1980s, the parish graveyard was enclosed with a new fence, made of stone and steel; the roofs received sheet copper covering; and a socle was constructed under the sacristy, the transept wings, and the tower.

In 1885, the pipe organ casing, the altars, and the pulpit were restored.

In 1990, the walls received additional thermal insulation and new weatherboards were installed inside the church.

In 1994, the windows were replaced.

In the years 1993-1996, a new wooden pre-funeral chapel was built; its form resembles that of the church.

Description

Donaborów is located 7 km to the south-east of Kępno, by a local road connecting Opatów with Olszowa. The parish church is situated on a small hill in the centre of the village, within a parish graveyard having the shape of a rectangle with a rounded corner on the east side. In the south-east section of the graveyard, the land steeply slopes towards the road. The graveyard originally occupied a much smaller area, probably limited to plot of land no. 158. It was most likely extended in the west and north directions. In the 1980s, it was enclosed with a new, stone and steel fence. The graveyard, currently overgrown with grass, contains a monument of John Paul II, a sculpture of Christ the King, erected on the 600th anniversary of the completion of the church, a small number of graves, and lime trees having the status of natural monuments. A wooden pre-funeral chapel was built north of the church in the years 1993-1996; its form resembles that of the main body of the church.

The first church in Donaborów was built in c. 1405. In 1614, a tower was added to the building. The present building was probably erected in the 1st quarter of the 18th century. In 1928, it underwent full-scale renovations and its interior was made higher. In the late 1980s and in the 1990s, the old roof covering was replaced with sheet copper, the window woodwork was replaced, and the church fittings were renovated. The building has a wooden log structure and the tower has a post-and-beam structure; the exterior walls are covered with weatherboards. The church is oriented towards the east; it has a floor plan having the shape of a Latin cross, with one nave and no aisles. The chancel has the same height and width as the nave and terminates in a semi-hexagon. At the north corner of the building, at the junction of the nave and the transept, there is a sacristy, built on a quadrangular floor plan. On the west side, there is a quadrangular tower with a side porch on the north side. The church has a complex structure, covered with a four-plane roof with a lantern; the tower, being the dominant feature of the building, has slightly sloped walls. The church has predominantly Late Baroque and classical fittings. The interior is covered with a false barrel vault. On the rood beam, there is a Baroque crucifix. The wooden music gallery is supported by four posts; on the parapet, there is a cartouche adorned with an acanthus motif, incorporating a painting of Madonna and Child with St Anne. The church features a bell from 1547 with the inscription: “Ave Maria, gratia plena”.

The church can be viewed from the outside. Visiting the building inside is possible by prior arrangement. More information about the parish and the Holy Mass schedule can be found on the website of the parish and the Kalisz diocese: www.diecezja.kalisz.pl.

compiled by Teresa Palacz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 06-02-2015.

Bibliography

  • Anders P., Województwo kaliskie, szkic monograficzny, Poznań 1983.
  • Maluśkiewicz P., Drewniane kościoły w Wielkopolsce, Poznań 2004.
  • Rocznik Diecezji Kaliskiej - 2002, Kalisz 2002.
  • Łęcki W., Wielkopolska - słownik krajoznawczy, Poznań 2002.
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, t. 5, z. 7: Powiat kępiński, s. 6-7, Warszawa 1958.
  • Janiszewski Józef ks., Powiat kępiński z mapą powiatu na podstawie różnych źródeł, Kępno 1928.

transport time to the next site

23 min

9 min

Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St Nicholas
Kierzno

30 minutes

The church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St Nicholas is a hybrid post-and-beam/log structure covered with weatherboards on the outside. It is an example of a rural wooden church typical of this region. Its form is typical of the churches of southern part of Greater Poland which were designed on a Latin Cross floor plan. It represents wooden architecture characteristic of the Silesian school of the 17th and 18th centuries.

History

The first church in Kierzno is believed to have been in existence in the 14th century.

During both the 16th and 17th centuries, the church remained in the hands of the Bohemian Brethren.

The existing church was erected in the 17th century, once the site was taken back from the Brethren.

From the early 17th century until 1978, the church remained a filial church of the Myjomice parish.

The separate parish in Kierzno was established in 1978.

The church was first restored in 1871.

In 1948, the building was subjected to comprehensive restoration works once again.

Another series of renovation works was carried out in years 1999-2000; these works entailed the partial replacement of the roof truss and the installation of a sheet metal roof. The exterior weatherboarding was replaced and the necessary preservation works were carried out. A procession path running around the church was created.

Description

Kierzno lies at a distance of 7 kilometres to the north-east from Kępno. The church is located in the centre of Kierzno, near the junction of the Olszowa-Doruchów road and the Myjomice-Wieruszów Podzamcze road. The church, oriented to the east, is situated on flat terrain, its transverse axis running alongside the access road. The church is surrounded by the former cemetery, designed on a quadrilateral plan, circumscribed with a wooden fence erected after 1945 and supported by brick posts; the yard around the church is accessible from the west, through a large gate and a smaller wicket gate. A brick funerary chapel is located north-east of the church. A school and sports grounds are located in the direct vicinity, north of the church, with rural dwellings located towards the south and west.

The village of Kierzno was mentioned in written records for the first time in 1266, in connection with the payment of the tithe to the bishop of Wrocław. The first church in Kierzno is believed to have been erected back in the 14th century. A local parish, encompassing just one village, is known to have existed here in the 16th century. During both the 16th century and the early 17th century, the church remained in the hands of the Bohemian Brethren. Once the building was reclaimed by the Catholic Church, it formed part of the parish of St Joseph in Myjomice until 1978. In 1978, the parish of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St Nicholas was recreated .

The church is oriented to the east. The building features a log structure, with the exception of the tower, which is a post-and-beam structure; the exterior walls are covered with weatherboards. The chancel features a polygonal termination; it is adjoined by a sacristy on the northern side. The nave is slightly taller and wider than the chancel. The western tower, designed on a square floor plan, is clearly distinct from the rest of the building, rising high above its corps de logis. The building was erected on a Latin Cross floor plan. The broader nave with two chapels in the south and north serves as the transept, opening towards the other nave through large arches. The church roofs are covered with sheet metal. The steeple above the nave features a Baroque shape. The tower in the west is a two-storey structure topped with a bulbous cupola with a lantern and features slightly tapering walls. Inside the church, there is a false barrel vault, reaching the same height in both the nave and the chancel. The other parts of the church feature flat, beamed ceilings. The rood beam features a carved inscription which reads “AM.../H EC ECCLE SIA ES … EXSTRUCTA AD 1771...”. A Baroque sculptural ensemble depicting the crucifixion is positioned above the rood beam. The wooden choir gallery is supported by two posts dating back to the first half of the 19th century. The interior fixtures and fittings include the Late Renaissance main altarpiece from the 1st half of the 17th century, featuring Baroque paintings which have been substantially modified over the years; other notable interior features are the Rococo side altarpieces from the late 18th/early 19th century as well as Late Renaissance altarpieces. The pulpit and the baptismal font date back to the 1st half of the 19th century.

The building is accessible from the outside. Viewing of the building is only possible by prior arrangement. More information about the parish and the Holy Mass schedule can be found on the website of the parish and the Kalisz diocese: www.diecezja.kalisz.pl

compiled by Teresa Palacz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 04-03-2015.

Bibliography

  • Maluśkiewicz P., Drewniane kościoły w Wielkopolsce, Poznań 2004.
  • Anders P., Województwo kaliskie, szkic monograficzny, Poznań 1983.
  • Rocznik Diecezji Kaliskiej - 2002, Kalisz 2002.
  • Łęcki Wł., Wielkopolska - słownik krajoznawczy, Poznań 2002.
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, Ruszczyńska T., Sławska A. (red.), t. 5, z. 7 pow. kępiński, s. 9, Warszawa 1958.
  • Janiszewski Józef ks., Powiat kępiński z mapą powiatu na podstawie różnych źródeł, Kępno 1928.

transport time to the next site

47 min

21 min

Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church of Pardon — the Church In the Field
Bralin

one hour

The church “In the Field” is one of the largest wooden churches in Greater Poland. It is an extraordinary example of wooden religious architecture which also plays a significant role for the intangible cultural heritage of the region, being an important place of worship. It is an example of successful conservation of old wooden buildings — in 1993, the parish received the honourable “Europa Nostra” medal for the restoration of the church. Despite over 300 years which have passed since its construction, it has retained its exceptional character of a church visited by pilgrims and those seeking indulgence.

History

The church is situated on a low hill, among the fields, approximately 1.5 kilometres south of the village of Bralin. It was built on a spot where, as legend has it, St Jadwiga prayed for the liberation of her husband, Henry I the Bearded, Duke of Silesia, back in the 13th century. After that event, miraculous appearances of the Virgin Mary were reported to have taken place there. The tradition of annual pilgrimages to the church began in 1630, after a cholera epidemic. The cult of the Virgin Mary of the Fields continues to thrive to this day. Fortunately, the church managed to survive World War II.

Written records mention a church in Pólko (“Little Field”) for the first time in 1651, although it is said that a cross stood there as early as in 1630 and was followed by a chapel. The current church was erected in 1711. The first restoration of the church took place in 1801. In 1936, the interior wall paintings were renovated. The most recent restoration works were performed in the 1980s and in the years 2010-2011. The coronation of the image of the Virgin Mary of the Fields took place in 2013.

Description

The church “In the Field” in Bralin is a filial church of the St Anne Parish in Bralin. It is situated on a low hill, among the fields, about 2 kilometres south from the seat of the Bralin parish.

The church, oriented towards the east, has a log structure and is covered with weatherboards. It features a layout that is seldom seen in churches of Greater Poland, i.e. that of a Greek cross with tapering arms. There is a sacristy between the northern and the western arm. The church features intersecting three-pitched roofs covered with wood shingles. At the junction of the roof ridges, there is an octagonal steeple with two roof lanterns, one on top of the other, crowned with a bulbous dome. The church can be accessed on all four sides. A Baroque turret rises at the intersection of the nave and the aisles. The church graveyard was initially surrounded by a fence made of wood, which formed a wooden cloister-type walkway on the east side and partially on the north and south sides, with quadrilateral chapels made of wooden logs at the corners. This cloister-type walkway, also known as “soboty” (“Saturdays”), was intended to provide a space where pilgrims, travelling to attend the Sunday mass during which they hoped to receive an indulgence, could rest. The exterior was covered with weatherboards; the roof rested on profiled piers with diagonal braces and had an exposed roof truss. The gate structure is reinforced by braces on the east side.

The interior of the church also has many features that make it unique. The central section features a false barrel vault, while the “arms” of the cross have simple beam ceilings. In the west wing, there is a music gallery, resting on nine piers, running along the walls. Instead of being located in an individuated chancel section, the main altar occupies the centre of the church. The altar features an 18th century painting of Mary with Child. Originally, the painting was adorned with a robe, which is now stored separately. The two-sided altar is surrounded by a balustrade having four sculptures of angels at its corners. On 2 September 2013, the coronation of the miraculous image of the Virgin Mary of the Fields took place.

The church can be viewed from the outside.

The Holy Mass is held on Sunday at 15:00. For a list of all church services, please visit the website: http://polko.bralin.com.pl/ramowy-kalendarz-nabozenstw. Individual visitors or groups of visitors who want to explore the church and its history can visit the office of the Roman Catholic Parish of St Anne in Bralin, 58 Wrocławska Street, or arrange a visit by calling (62) 307-04-18 or by sending an email to polko@bralin.com.pl. The parish office is open on Mondays and Fridays from 18:30 to 20:00 and on Tuesdays and Saturdays from 8:00 to 9:30.

compiled by Teresa Palacz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 03-07-2014.

Bibliography

  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, t. 5, z. 7: Powiat kępiński, Warszawa 1958.
  • Krassowski W., Ze studiów nad detalami zabytkowych konstrukcji ciesielskich, [w:] Kwartalnik Architektury i Urbanistyki, t. 5, z. 1, s. 3-25.
  • Matyaszczyk D. (red.), Miejsca i obiekty kultu w Wielkopolsce. Prahistoryczne, chrześcijańskie i judaistyczne, Poznań 1996, s. 13-39, 45.
  • Perła architektury drewnianej. Trzysta lat kościoła odpustowego na Pólku p. Bralinem, Bralin 2011.

transport time to the next site

33 min

12 min

The church of St Andrew
Słupia pod Bralinem

30 minutes

The church of St Andrew is a log structure building, with exterior covered with weatherboards. It is an example of a rural wooden church characteristic for this region. The building, slightly larger following its extension, is typical of the southern part of Greater Poland. It represents wooden architecture characteristic of the Silesian school of the 17th and 18th centuries.

History

The church in Słupia near Bralin was first mentioned in documents from 1285 and 1310.

It was referred to as a parish church in 1492, when it was rebuilt owing to the efforts of the parish priest - Paweł from Wałdowo.

After the Reformation period, in 1651 the church in Słupia near Bralin became a filial church of the parish in Turkowy. The current church was probably constructed the same year, in place of the former building from 1492.

In 1911, the church was extended by adding a transept and extension of the presbytery, as well as a nave oriented to the west. A turret was built where the transept joins the nave.

The church was renovated at the turn of the 20th century.

It underwent restoration in 1985 and after 2000.

In 1979, the parish of St Andrew the Apostle was re-dedicated.

Description

Słupia near Bralin is a village in the Perzów commune, located by the S7 road to Wrocław, 13 km west of Kępno.

From the end of the 15th century, the settlement belonged to State Country of Syców. The building is situated on a hill, oriented, single-nave. The church of St Andrew was built on the basis of a log structure, and covered with weatherboards from the outside and inside. According to the Catalogue of Historical Artefacts (KZS) the newer parts of the church have a frame structure, which was covered with weatherboards? The nave of the church is on a rectangular floor plan with a transept. From the east, it is adjoined by an elongated presbytery, terminated polygonally. A rectangular sacristy adjoins the chancel from the northern side. From the western side, a quadrangular tower with a post-and-beam construction was added at the front of the church. The tower is relatively small, with slanting walls (the church tower in Koza Wielka, Perzów Commune, has a similar form). The wooden construction of the church partly rests upon a brick foundation, and partly on a wooden ground plate. There are gable roofs above the nave, the presbytery, and the transept. The tower is topped with an octagonal tented roof. Inside, on one of the beams, there is an inscription with the date 1816. All roofs are covered with wood shingles. At the intersection of the nave and the transept, there is a steeple turret with a lantern, topped with a Baroque onion-shaped cupola from 1911.

On the ground floor, there is a porch. In the space under the tower, which forms a part of the nave, there is a music gallery supported by two posts, structurally connected with the tower. There are contemporary painted decorations on the beamed ceiling of the church. Another notable element is an epitaph portrait, painted on a plate, of the parish priest Tomasz Możdżanowski from 1789. In the central part of a Rococo main altar from the mid-18th century, there is a painting of St Andrew the Apostle. Eclectic side altars. There are also two other paintings in the church: a Baroque image of the Christ Crucified and an image of St John of Nepomuk from the second half of the 18th century. In the church tower, there is a Gothic bell with a minuscule inscription.

The church is open to visitors from the outside. Visiting the building inside is possible by prior arrangement. More information about the parish and the Holy Mass schedule can be found on the website of the parish and the Kalisz diocese: www.diecezja.kalisz.pl

compiled by Teresa Palacz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 22-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Maluśkiewicz P., Drewniane kościoły w Wielkopolsce, Poznań 2004.
  • Anders P., Województwo kaliskie, szkic monograficzny, Poznań 1983.
  • Rocznik Diecezji Kaliskiej - 2002, Kalisz 2002.
  • Łęcki Wł., Wielkopolska - słownik krajoznawczy, Poznań 2002.
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, Ruszczyńska T., Sławska A. (red.), t. 5, z. 7 pow. kępiński, s. 20, Warszawa 1958.

transport time to the next site

14 min

7 min

Roman Catholic filial church of St Philip and James the Apostles
Koza Wielka

30 minutes

The Roman Catholic filial church of St Philip and James the Apostles, built in the late 17th and early 18th century, is an example of a simple, rural, single-nave church having a wooden log structure, with walls reinforced with vertical supports and covered with weatherboards. On the west side, it is adjoined by a tower having a post-and-beam structure, clad with weatherboards and topped with a conical roof. The church stands upon a hill and is surrounded by a cemetery.

History

The first mentions of a local church date back to 1376.

From the 16th century until 1638 the church remained in the hands of Protestants.

At the turn of the 18th century, the current wooden log church was erected, its tower featuring a post-and-beam structure. The roof was clad with wood shingles, while the tower and steeple featured sheet metal roofs.

In years 1883-1884, thorough renovation works of the church were performed.

The church was also renovated in 1927.

The wall paintings inside the building were restored in 1963.

In 1996, parts of the roof truss as well as the wood shingle cladding were replaced; the rotten wooden sill plate was replaced by brick foundations. The floors were replaced, with insulating material installed underneath the new floors.

The walls of the church underwent conservation and renovation works in 2003.

Description

The village of Koza Wielka is situated approximately 16 kilometres west of Kępno, near the Syców - Domasłów - Miechów road, next to the boundary of the district and province to which it belongs. The boundary between Greater Poland and Lower Silesia runs nearby. The church itself stands on a hill on the western edge of the village and is surrounded by a cemetery. The cemetery site has a shape approximating that of a trapezium; it is surrounded with a new, metal fence positioned on brick foundations. The cemetery borders on the road towards Syców in the west and is surrounded by arable fields from all other sides. The entrance to the cemetery and the church leads through a gate and wicket gate positioned on the south-western corner. The cemetery itself is overgrown with old deciduous trees. The cemetery features a crucifix dated 1901 as well as a number of headstones from the first quarter of the 20th century.

The church is oriented towards the east; it is a wooden building with log structure (also known as cribwork), reinforced with vertical supports and clad with weatherboards. The building stands on a plastered brick foundation. The foundation was built in the 1990s, replacing the original wooden sill plate. The church features a tower which abuts it from the west; it is a post-and-beam structure with slanting walls clad with weatherboards. The small church was designed on a rectangular, almost square floor plan, with an elongates, slightly narrower chancel featuring a semi-hexagonal termination. A porch and a sacristy abut the church from the south and north respectively; both are brick structures with walls covered with plaster. The tower features a conical roof clad with sheet metal; the same solution is used for the octagonal steeple with a bulbous cupola at the top. The other roof surfaces are covered with wood shingles. The nave features a roof with a single ridge and pronounced eaves above the chancel.

The interior of the church features a beamed ceiling with spaces between the beams covered with wooden boards. The ceiling above the choir gallery is completely covered with boards. A wooden choir gallery is situated in the western part of the church, resting upon sturdy pillars. The main altarpiece and the two side altarpieces as well as the ambo date back to the mid- 19th century. Until recently, the choir gallery was adorned with Gothic reliefs taken from the wings of a triptych, portraying St Veronica, St Sophia, St St Peter, St Bartholomew, St John the Evangelist and St James the Greater. However, these outstanding 15th-century pieces have now been moved to the Archdiocese Museum in Poznań.

The site is accessible to visitors. Viewing of the building is only possible by prior arrangement. More information about the parish and the Holy Mass schedule can be found on the website of the Domasław parish and of the Kalisz Diocese: www.diecezja.kalisz.pl

compiled by Teresa Palacz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 20-03-2015.

Bibliography

  • Maluśkiewicz P., Drewniane kościoły w Wielkopolsce, Poznań 2004.
  • Anders P., Województwo kaliskie, szkic monograficzny, Poznań 1983.
  • Rocznik Diecezji Kaliskiej - 2002, Kalisz 2002.
  • Łęcki Wł., Wielkopolska - słownik krajoznawczy, Poznań 2002.
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, Ruszczyńska T., Sławska A. (red.), t. 5, z. 7 pow. kępiński, s. 10, Warszawa 1958.
  • Janiszewski Józef ks., Powiat kępiński z mapą powiatu na podstawie różnych źródeł, Kępno 1928.

transport time to the next site

41 min

14 min

Catholic Church of the Holy Trinity
Marcinki

15 minuts

The Church of the Holy Trinity in Marcinki is an example of rural wooden ecclesiastical architecture.

History

The first church in Marcinki was mentioned in written records dating from 1535. The present church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was built in 1803. In 1830, it was decorated with wall paintings, which were renovated in 1897. During World War II, the Germans robbed the church of a chalice, a monstrance, chasubles, linen, candlesticks, and banners, among other things. The building was renovated in the years 1930 and 1975.

Description

The village of Marcinki is located 11 km to the south-west of Ostrzeszów. It has a wooden log structure. The church is oriented to the east; it has a rectangular floor plan with one nave and no aisles. Its walls, made of wood, rest on a stone and brick wall base. The short chancel, lower than the nave, adjoined by a sacristy on the north side, terminates in a flat wall. A porch adjoins the nave on the south side. On the west side, the nave is adjoined by a low tower having a post-and-beam structure, with slightly sloping walls, covered with a sheet metal pyramid hipped roof; there is a porch at the ground floor level. The two-ridge roof with broad eaves is covered with wood shingles; it is surmounted by a round, wooden steeple with a lantern and an onion-shaped cupola made of sheet metal. The church fittings include a Late-Renaissance altar, a decorative rood beam with a Baroque Crucifixion Group from the 2nd half of the 18th century, and partially preserved folk wall paintings from c. 1830. The church yard is enclosed with a modern fence; a number of trees surround the church.

The church can only be visited from the outside.

compiled by Tomasz Łuczak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 16-11-2015.

Bibliography

  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. 5, Woj. wielkopolskie, red. Ruszczyńska Teresa, Sławska Aniela, z. 17, Pow. ostrzeszowski, opr. Chrzanowski Tadeusz, Kornecki Marian, Samek jan, Warszawa 1958, s. 8.
  • Kościoły drewniane w Wielkopolsce, red. Mariusz Grzebalski, Poznań 2004, s. 153.
  • Wielkopolska. Słownik krajoznawczy, red. Łęcki Włodzimierz, Poznań 2002, s. 198.
  • http://kosciolydrewniane.pl - odsłona z listopada 2015 r.

transport time to the next site

17 min

6 min

Catholic Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Myślniew

30 minutes

The Filial Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary is a typical example of rural wooden ecclesiastical architecture of Greater Poland.

History

The Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary was erected in 1746. It was renovated in the years 1974-1975.

Description

The village of Myślniew is located to the south-east of Ostrzeszów. The church is oriented towards the east. It has one nave (with no aisles). The building has a wooden log structure. The exterior walls are covered with weatherboards. The nave is adjoined by a small chancel, terminating in a semi-hexagon, on the east side and a tower, tapering towards the top, with a porch at the ground floor level, on the west side. The tower has a post-and-beam structure and is covered with a Baroque roof made of sheet metal, topped with a double lantern and a cross. The building is complemented by a quadrangular sacristy adjoining the chancel on the north side and a porch adjoining the nave, both covered with three-pitched roofs. The two-ridge roof, having wide eaves, is covered with eternit and sheet metal. It is surmounted by a steeple with a lantern topped by a spire and a cross. Inside, there is a false barrel vault, slightly flattened in the chancel. The church fittings include a Late Baroque main altar, side altars, and pulpit. The rood beam is adorned with a Crucifixion Group with the date of the construction of the church: “1746”. The music gallery, enclosed with a balustrade, is supported by two wooden posts. The graveyard is covered with trees.

The church can only be visited from the outside.

compiled by Tomasz Łuczak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 16-11-2015.

Bibliography

  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. 5, Woj. wielkopolskie, red. Ruszczyńska Teresa, Sławska Aniela, z. 17, Pow. ostrzeszowski, opr. Chrzanowski Tadeusz, Kornecki Marian, Samek jan, Warszawa 1958, s. 10.
  • Kościoły drewniane w Wielkopolsce, red. Mariusz Grzebalski, Poznań 2004, s. 163.
  • Wielkopolska. Słownik krajoznawczy, red. Łęcki Włodzimierz, Poznań 2002, s. 218.
  • http://kosciolydrewniane.pl - odsłona z listopada 2015 r.

transport time to the next site

1h 18 min

31 min

St Barbara Catholic Church Complex
Bobrowniki

30 minutes

The church of St Barbara in Bobrowniki is an example of wooden ecclesiastical architecture of the Baroque period in Greater Poland.

History

The church was built in c. mid-17th century. Originally, it was dedicated to St Bartholomew the Apostle; currently, it is dedicated to St Barbara. In the 17th century, for a short time, it was owned and used by the Czech Brethren. In 1832, it was completely renovated by Hipolit Bielina. The church was renovated a number of times in the 20th century, e.g. in 1910, 1992, and 1996; the wood shingles covering the roof were replaced in 1956, 1972, and 1999. The interior wall paintings were made in 1957 and renovated in 1979. The chancel underwent major modifications in 1975. The bell tower was constructed in the 1st half of the 19th century.

Description

The village of Bobrowniki lies 12 km to the east of Ostrzeszów. The Church of St Andrew the Apostle has a wooden log structure reinforced with vertical supports; the walls are covered with weatherboards. The single-nave church is oriented to the east; it has no tower. The nave was probably extended to the west; the chancel, smaller than the nave and terminating in a polygon, is adjoined by a sacristy on the north side. The entrance to the church, sheltered by a small roof supported by two posts, is located in one of the side walls. The one-ridge roof is covered with wood shingles and surmounted by a hexagonal steeple topped with a tented roof, also covered with wood shingles. The sacristy roof is covered with sheet metal. Inside, there is a flat ceiling. The newer music gallery rests on posts. On the walls and the ceiling, there are modern paintings depicting scenes from the life of St Barbara. The main part of the church has Baroque interior fittings. In the graveyard, there is a classical bell tower, made of brick and covered with plaster. Legend has it that the flower bed by the church marks the place where General Antoni Madaliński (1739-1804), a participant in the Bar Confederation, one of the leaders of the Kościuszko Uprising, and a participant in the Napoleonic Wars, is buried. In fact, the body of General Antoni Madaliński is buried in the Parish Church of Saints Peter and Paul the Apostles in Przybyszew (Masovian Voivodeship, Białobrzegi District, Promna Commune), whereas his heart is buried in Lubania (Łódzkie Voivodeship, Rawa District, Sadkowice Commune).

The church can only be visited from the outside.

compiled by Tomasz Łuczak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 16-11-2015.

Bibliography

  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. 5, Woj. wielkopolskie, red. Ruszczyńska Teresa, Sławska Aniela, z. 17, Pow. ostrzeszowski, opr. Chrzanowski Tadeusz, Kornecki Marian, Samek jan, Warszawa 1958, s. 1.
  • Kościoły drewniane w Wielkopolsce, red. Mariusz Grzebalski, Poznań 2004, s. 22.
  • Wielkopolska. Słownik krajoznawczy, red. Łęcki Włodzimierz, Poznań 2002, s. 24.
  • http://kosciolydrewniane.pl - odsłona z listopada 2015 r.

transport time to the next site

34 min

15 min

Catholic Church of St Martin
Chlewo

30 minutes

The Parish Church of St Martin in Chlewo is an example of 17th-century wooden ecclesiastical architecture characteristic of the southern part of Greater Poland.

History

The Parish Church of St Martin, founded by Feliks Karsznicki, was built in 1651. A tower was added in 1794. The church underwent renovations in the years 1981-1984 and in 1992.

Description

The village of Chlewo is located 11 km to the north-east of Ostrzeszów. The church, having a wooden log structure covered with weatherboards, is oriented to the east. It has one nave (with no aisles). The chancel, terminating in a polygon, is adjoined by a sacristy on the north side. A tower, having a quadrangular floor plan, was built onto the west wall of the nave; its lower part has a log structure and a small roof connected with the nave roof, whereas its upper, narrower part, has a post-and-beam structure and is covered with a tented roof with wood shingles. There is a porch at the ground floor level. The walls are covered with weatherboards. The date of the construction of the tower — “1794” — in engraved on the stone floor of the porch. The two-ridge roof over the nave and the chancel is also covered with wood shingles. It is surmounted by a steeple topped with a lantern with an onion-shaped cupola. The three-pitched sacristy roof is covered with sheet metal. Inside, there is a flat ceiling made of beams and boards. In the western section of the church, there is a music gallery enclosed with a bulging parapet, resting on four wooden posts. The rood beam is decorated with statues and a crucifix. The church has Baroque interior fittings. The former church graveyard is enclosed with a brick wall with a gate. A number of ashes and chestnut trees grow in the graveyard.

The church can only be visited from the outside.

compiled by Tomasz Łuczak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 16-11-2015.

Bibliography

  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. 5, Woj. wielkopolskie, red. Ruszczyńska Teresa, Sławska Aniela, z. 17, Pow. ostrzeszowski, opr. Chrzanowski Tadeusz, Kornecki Marian, Samek jan, Warszawa 1958, s. 2-3.
  • Kościoły drewniane w Wielkopolsce, red. Mariusz Grzebalski, Poznań 2004, s. 45.
  • http://kosciolydrewniane.pl - odsłona z listopada 2015 r.

transport time to the next site

30 min

11 min

Kościół katolicki pw. św. Rocha
Mikstat

one hour

Print this tour

This is user generated tour. Report terms violation.

Sites from that tour

zgłoś naruszenie