Architektura sakralna południowo-wschodniej Zamojszczyzny
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

users tour Bozena Lebioda

Architektura sakralna południowo-wschodniej Zamojszczyzny

14

one day

lubelskie

cerkiew greckokatolicka, ob. kościół rzymskokatolicki parafialny pw. św.św. Józefa i Michała Archanioła
Łosiniec

15 minuts

dzwonnica
Łosiniec

15 minuts

transport time to the next site

17 min

cerkiew greckokatolicka
Bełżec

15 minuts

transport time to the next site

25 min

Greek Catholic parish tserkva of St Nicholas, currently serving as the parish church of St Stanislaus
Jarczów

30 minutes

One of the oldest surviving tserkvas in the Lublin region, with origins dating back to the 17th century, it remains an example of a rare design in which the belfry was positioned directly above the narthex.

History

The first recorded mention of the Jarczów tserkva dates back to 1531. The village was initially the property of the Jarczowski family and was later taken over by the Kurdwanowski family. The existing tserkva was most likely either built from scratch or created through the transformation of an earlier, 17th-century building; regardless of which of the above was actually the case, we know that the new tserkva was completed in 1755, at the time of the conferral of municipal rights, during the times of Maurycy Kurdwanowski. In 1870, the tserkva was taken over by the Orthodox church, with subsequent alteration works taking place between the late 19th and the early 20th century. It is believed that the belfry might have been placed above the narthex during that period; initially, the bells were installed in a free-standing bell tower. During the period in question, the building served as the filial tserkva of the parish in Chodywańce. In 1921, the tserkva became a Roman Catholic church. In 1947, a new parish was established in Jarczów, having been moved there from Chodywańce. Subsequent renovation works took place in years 1951, 1963 and in 2005-2006, the latter renovation being of a comprehensive nature.

Description

The tserkva is located in the middle of the settlement, east of the market square. The tserkva is oriented towards the east. The building was designed on a tripartite floor plan consisting of an unusually broad, rectangular nave with two small sacristies forming an extension thereof; these sacristies are both positioned adjacent to the sides of the chancel, which features a semi-hexagonal termination. To the west, a square narthex adjoins the nave, with the belfry being positioned directly above; it is believed that the belfry was actually only moved there at a later date and was not a part of the original design. The tserkva is a wooden building made of wooden logs with saddle-notch corner joints, reinforced with hidden dowel pins and featuring protruding log ends of varying lengths. The sill plate is made of oak logs positioned on a brick foundation which was added at a later date (in the early 20th century). Both the nave and the chancel feature barrel vaults, with a flat ceiling being used for the narthex. An arch with a profiled rood beam rises between the nave and the chancel. The pipe organ gallery is located in the western part of the tserkva, resting upon a pair of pillars. The belfry above the narthex is a post-and-beam structure with an arcaded gallery in its upper part and a partially overhanging western section, supported by pillars reinforced with wooden braces; previously, the entire structure was covered with weatherboards. The upper sections of the façades of the nave and the chancel are covered with wood shingles, with decorative weatherboarding used for the belfry. The lower section is protected by a broad skirt roof resting upon the protruding ends of the structural logs. The individual sections of the building are covered with separate roofs, all of them clad with wood shingles. The nave features a gable roof while the roof above the narthex and the belfry is a three-sided design. The chancel features a gable roof with a three-sided termination. All roofs have pronounced eaves with a crown moulding running underneath. A steeple with a bulbous cupola rises from the roof ridge above the nave; another bulbous cupola adorns the roof of the belfry. The four-pane windows are rectangular in shape; the entrance doors are all single, planked items, some of them being original to the structure while others are newly made. All doors feature hinges and locks made at the local blacksmith’s workshops. Inside, the tserkva features original fixtures and fittings dating back to the 19th/20th century.

The historic building is partially accessible to visitors.

compiled by Bożena Stanek-Lebioda, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Lublin, 11-12-2015.

Bibliography

  • Górak J., Dawne cerkwie drewniane w województwie zamojskim, Zamość 1984, pp. 31-32.
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, Vol. VIII: Dawne województwo lubelskie, issue 17: Tomaszów Lubelski i okolice, Warsaw 1982, pp. 18-19.
  • Niedźwiedź J., Leksykon historyczny miejscowości dawnego województwa zamojskiego, Zamość 2003, pp. 198-200.
  • Żurawicka G., Kuśmierz L., Drewniane budownictwo sakralne: powiat Tomaszów Lubelski, powiat Hrubieszów, Lublin 2008, pp. 87-88.

transport time to the next site

25 min

dzwonnica
Hrebenne

15 minuts

d. zespół cerkiewno-krajobrazowy
Hrebenne

15 minuts

transport time to the next site

40 min

Greek Catholic tserkva of the Epiphany (the Baptism of Christ), currently serving as the filial church of the Greek Catholic parish
Korczmin

30 minutes

A valuable example of wooden ecclesiastical architecture. The tserkva is the oldest building of its kind anywhere in the Lublin region and one of the oldest in Poland.

History

The first recorded mention of the Korczmin tserkva dates back to 1531. The existing tserkva was erected in 1658, using materials taken from the earlier building which stood on the site. The tserkva underwent renovation and alteration works on a number of occasions, including in 1780 as well as somewhere around the year 1850, when the porch preceding the narthex and the southern sacristy were added, as were the octagonal tholobate and the dome rising above it, most likely replacing an earlier, tented roof. Another series of works was performed in the late 19th century, when the northern sacristy was constructed. After 1947, when the local Greek Catholic population was relocated elsewhere, the tserkva became a Roman Catholic filial church of the Machnówek parish. From 1955 onwards, the abandoned tserkva was gradually falling into a state of decay, with both the sacristy and the vestibule being demolished during that period, followed by the demolition of the nearby bell tower in 1974. In years 1990-1993, the ruined tserkva was dismantled and then put back together over the course of the next few years, with parts of the building being reconstructed. In 2002, the tserkva was taken over by the Greek Catholic parish in Lublin and reconsecrated in 2004.

Description

The tserkva is located in the middle of the village (which had been burned down during the war), on the bank of the Rzeczyca river. The church is oriented towards the east. It is a tripartite structure consisting of a nave designed on a square floor plan, a narthex built on a plan approximating the shape of a square as well as a chancel with a semi-hexagonal termination. The nave is both wider and taller than the narthex and the chancel; it is crowned with a dome perched atop a tall, octagonal tholobate supported by pendentives; the chancel features a false barrel vault, while the narthex has a flat ceiling. The chancel and the narthex open up towards the nave with arched passages. The tserkva is a wooden, corner-notched log structure made of pinewood logs bound together using lap joints and reinforced with dowel pins. The sill plate is made of oakwood and is positioned on wooden piles driven straight into the ground below. The walls are reinforced by vertical support both inside and out. The façades are clad with weatherboards, with the exception of the lower storey, which features exposed log structure protected by a broad skirt roof supported by projecting log ends as well as by two posts in front of the entrance. The individual sections of the building are covered with separate roofs, all of them clad with wood shingles. The nave features an octagonal dome with a faux lantern, the narthex has a three-sloped roof while the chancel features a gable roof with a semi-hexagonal termination. The window openings are rectangular in shape, with the windows of the nave and the narthex being topped with triangular arches and adorned with modern surrounds in the form of small rooflets. The original fixtures and fittings has largely been dispersed among different locations; the icon of Our Lady of Korczmin, dating back to the late 16th/early 17th century has been relocated to the parish tserkva located in the Lublin Rural Heritage Museum, with the painting located inside the Korczmin tserkva being a copy thereof.

The historic building is partially accessible to visitors.

compiled by Bożena Stanek-Lebioda, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Lublin, 13-04-2015.

Bibliography

  • Antoniak P., Chodor J., Słobodian W., Zapomniane pogranicze. Dekanat uhnowski, Lublin 2005, pp. 23-28.
  • Bielecki M., Skorniewski M., Ewolucja statusu prawnego cerkwi w Korczminie, “Studia z Prawa Wyznaniowego”, vol. 14, 2011, pp. 221-239.
  • Brykowski R., W sprawie zabytkowej drewnianej architektury cerkiewnej powiatu Tomaszów Lub., “Ochrona Zabytków”, 1972. no. 4, p. 276.
  • Brykowski R., Spalona cerkiew z Hulczy i grupa cerkwi tomaszowsko-hrubieszowskich, “Ochrona Zabytków”, 1974, no. 1, p. 38.
  • Brykowski R., Drugi remanent zabytków dawny powiat Tomaszów Lubelski, “Spotkania z Zabytkami”, 1982, no. 8, 37.
  • Gmiter M., Zejdowski J., Cerkwie pogranicza - raport, “Spotkania z Zabytkami”, 1992, no. 8, pp. 18-22.
  • Górak J., Dawne cerkwie drewniane w województwie zamojskim, Zamość 1984, pp. 17-18.
  • Kaniewska M., Cerkiew w Korczminie - symbol jedności i duchowej mocy, “Spotkania z Zabytkami”, 2005, no. 5, pp. 26-29.
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, Vol. VIII: Dawne województwo lubelskie, issue 17: Tomaszów Lubelski i okolice, Warsaw 1982, p. 23.
  • Niedźwiedź E., Niedźwiedź J., Skorniewski M., Kłębek Ł., Dzieje miejscowości gminy Ulhówek powiat tomaszowski, Ulhówek-Zamość 2015, pp. 90-93.
  • Styrna J., Ikona z Korczmina, “Spotkania z Zabytkami”, 1992, no. 8, pp. 27-28.
  • Żurawicka G., Kuśmierz L., Drewniane budownictwo sakralne: powiat Tomaszów Lubelski, powiat Hrubieszów, Lublin 2008, p. 90-91.
  • http://fkdp.pl/cerkiew-korczmin.html
  • http://www.cerkwie.org/getfile.php?id=5&typ=dzialy

transport time to the next site

7 min

Complex of the Greek Catholic tserkva of Guardianship of the Blessed Virgin Mary, currently the filial church of Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Budynin

15 minuts

Complex of the Greek Catholic tserkva of Guardianship of the Blessed Virgin Mary, currently the filial church of Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

History

A valuable example of wooden tserkva architecture that once formed a characteristic feature of the southern Lublin region. The complex consists of the tserkva itself as well as the bell tower, both originating from 1887. The tserkva features a rare layout incorporating three domes which are nearly identical in height.

Description

The tserkva is located in the northern part of the village; the edifice is oriented towards the south. It is a tripartite structure consisting of a nave designed on a square floor plan, a slightly narrower, square narthex adjoining it to the west as well as a rectangular chancel with a semi-hexagonal termination, flanked by a pair of square sacristies. The nave, the chancel and the narthex are all of equal height and are covered with elongated, eight-faced domes with roof lanterns. The domes are mounted on tall octagonal tholobates. The sections underneath the domes feature faux cupola ceilings made up of eight parts, with flat ceilings used for the sacristies. The tserkva is a corner-notched log structure made of pine logs. The logs are connected by means of fishtail joints and feature protruding ends. The sill plates are connected by means of scarf joints, positioned on brick foundations. The lower section of the tserkva features an exposed log structure and a skirt roof supported by rafter tails; the upper part of the edifice is covered with board and batten siding arranged in a vertical layout. The front entrance is preceded by an open vestibule with a pair of pillars supporting a covered first-floor balcony running across the entire width of the narthex; the roofs are covered with sheet metal. The multi-pane windows are rectangular in shape, with an oculus piercing the eastern wall of the tholobate rising above the chancel. The double door in the front section of the church features a decorative arrangement of wooden planks and metal studs. Inside, the church features painted decorations dating back to 1892 as well as the remains of fixtures and fittings crafted during the 18th and the 19th century. The bell tower was designed on a square floor plan; it is a two-storey structure with a wider lower storey featuring a single window, added at a later date. The walls of the narrower upper storey of the free-standing tower are pierced by small arcades at the top, allowing the sound of the bells to escape. The tower is a post-and-frame structure, its walls covered with weatherboards arranged in a vertical layout. The eight-faced pyramid roof at the top and the wide skirt roof positioned between the storeys of the tower are both clad with sheet metal. In the vicinity of the tserkva stands a stone sculpture of St Florian, dating back to the first half of the 19th century.

The historic monument is accessible to visitors.

compiled by Bożena Stanek-Lebioda, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Lublin, 07-04-2015.

Bibliography

  • Górak J., Dawne cerkwie drewniane w województwie zamojskim, Zamość 1984, s. 13-14.
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, t. VIII: Województwo lubelskie, z. 6: Powiat hrubieszowski, Warszawa 1964, s. 1-2.
  • Niedźwiedź E., Niedźwiedź J., Skorniewski M., Kłębek Ł., Dzieje miejscowości gminy Ulhówek powiat tomaszowski, Ulhówek-Zamość 2015, s. 53-58.
  • Żurawicka G., Kuśmierz L., Drewniane budownictwo sakralne: powiat Tomaszów Lubelski, powiat Hrubieszów, Lublin 2008, s. 80

dzwonnica
Budynin

15 minuts

transport time to the next site

4 min

The Greek Catholic Church of the Pentecost, now the filial church of the Żniatyn parish
Chłopiatyn

30 minutes

The monument is a valuable example of a wooden Greek Catholic church characteristic of the southern part of the Lublin region. The church dating from the mid-19th century belongs to a particularly interesting group of three-cupola churches. Its distinctive features include harmonious proportions and lavish architectural decorations.

History

The Greek Catholic church was founded in 1863 on the site formerly occupied by another church. After the Second World War the building was used by a Catholic church as the filial church of the Żniatyn parish. In 1924, the building underwent renovation, which involved adding a foundation.

Description

The church is situated in the centre of the village, alongside the road to Myców, near the former manor pond. It is an interesting example of a three-cupola church. The building is oriented, designed as a tripartite structure consisting of a square nave, a narrower, three-sided chancel with a sacristy along the northern wall and a square narthex that is the same width as the presbytery. Each of the parts is covered with an eight-faced cupola in the shape of a bell, crowned with an openwork lantern with a bulbous dome. The cupolas are supported by octagonal tambours joined together. The interior features a faux ceiling, while a sacristy a simple ceiling. The church was built of pine logs in a corner-notched log construction. The logs are flattened at the end and split to form a ‘fish tail’, with ends visible in the lower part which was not covered with weatherboards. This part is topped with a pronounced skirt roof supported by decoratively profiled ends of beams projecting from a wall. The building is set on a (newer) brick foundation. The upper parts of the walls of the log structure and tambours are covered with vertically positioned weatherboards and batten siding, and crowned with profiled cornices. The front facade features a balcony with an openwork balustrade, supported by corbels noticeably jutting out from a wall and covered with a gable roof, with a triangular gable end covered with weatherboards. The balcony and balustrade are covered with skirt roofs. The cupolas and all roofs are covered with shingles, while lanterns with sheet metal. The window openings of the church are rectangular, framed by a surround and crowned with cornices. The doors are planked. A foundation inscription is engraved above the front door. The interior design and fittings in the Late Baroque and folk style, including wall paintings with architectural, ornamental and figural motifs and iconostasis from 1868, date back to the times of construction of the church.

The monument is open to visitors.

Compiled by Bożena Stanek-Lebioda, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Lublin, 20.08.2014.

 

Bibliography

  • Górak J., Dawne cerkwie drewniane w województwie zamojskim, Zamość 1984, p. 12, fig. 5.
  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, vol. 8: Województwo lubelskie, issue 6: Powiat hrubieszowski, Warsaw 1964, pp. 3-4.

transport time to the next site

4 min

Greek Catholic tserkva of St Nicholas, currently serving as a filial church
Myców

30 minutes

An example of wooden tserkva architecture that once formed a characteristic feature of the southern Lublin region. Today, this single-dome tserkva is frequently admired for its lavish decorations and fittings.

History

The Greek Catholic tserkva was erected back in 1865 (or 1859, according to other sources). In 1885, the building underwent a series of alteration works, with a two-storey vestibule being added in front of the narthex; the wall between the narthex and the nave was torn down, with the two parts of the church now being connected by means of an arched passage. The tserkva was subsequently restored in 1919; it is likely that the vestibules preceding the side entrances to the nave were added at that point. From 1945 onwards, the building was used as a workshop forming part of the local State Agricultural Holding; in 1963, the tserkva was finally abandoned, its condition deteriorating at a rapid pace. Finally, the tserkva was restored in the 1990s; today, it serves as a filial church of the Roman Catholic parish in Żniatyn.

Description

The tserkva stands upon a hill located on the northern edge of the village; this site had in fact once been its centre - right until 1944, when many buildings were lost to the blaze. The church is surrounded by a disused cemetery, with the few surviving headstones dating back to the 19th century. The chancel of the tserkva faces the west. The building is a tripartite structure consisting of a nave designed on a square floor plan, adjoined to the west by a slightly narrower, square chancel flanked by a pair of sacristies; a narthex, also designed on a square floor plan, adjoins the nave to the east and features a vestibule which was added at a later date. Overall, the structure, made up of many different sections, retains a remarkable diversity of forms, with the octagonal dome set atop a tall tholobate being its dominant visual feature. The narthex and the chancel feature gable roofs, with a three-plane roof being used for the front vestibule. The lower section of the building features a pronounced skirt roof covering the sacristies, interrupted by the gable roofs which crown the vestibules preceding the side entrances to the nave. All roofs are covered with sheet metal. The façades are covered with vertical board and batten siding, with wooden cornices present beneath the eaves of the main body and the dome. The multi-pane windows are rectangular in shape, with the tholobate and the chancel featuring a number of oculi; the church features a number of single and double doors of a planked type. Inside, a faux cupola ceiling consisting of eight distinct sections rises above the nave, which also features surviving choir galleries with wooden balustrades, remains of the iconostasis as well as a wall painting dating back to 1862, the latter being of remarkable artistic quality and comprising both figural representations, foliate motifs and architectural themes executed using the trompe l’œil technique.

Accessible structure.

compiled by Bożena Stanek-Lebioda, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Lublin, 07-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Górak J., Dawne cerkwie drewniane w województwie zamojskim, Zamość 1984, pp. 25-27.
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, Vol. VIII: Województwo lubelskie, issue 6: Powiat hrubieszowski, compiled by Chrzanowski T., Kornecki M., Samek J., Warsaw 1964, pp. 41-42.

transport time to the next site

8 min

The Greek Catholic Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross, now the filial church of the Żniatyn parish
Dłużniów

30 minutes

The monument is a valuable example of a wooden Greek Catholic church characteristic of the southern part of the Lublin region. The church was erected in 1882 and is the largest in the group of three-cupola churches. The essential feature that distinguishes it from other churches is its monumental and slender silhouette.

History

The present church which was built in 1882 and consecrated in 1895 was another Greek Catholic church on this site and after the Second World it was acquired by the Roman Catholic Church. Today, it serves as a filial church of Żniatyn parish. During the 1930s, it was renovated. Between 2005 and 2006 the church underwent complete renovation, which included replacement of the roofing, replacement of damaged structural elements of walls, foundations, cupolas and stair cases, conservation of window and door joinery, and architectural detail.

Description

The church is situated on a hill, which can been accessed by brick stairs, surrounded by trees and the remnants of a brick fence. The church is located near w brick bell tower dating from the early 20th century. The building is oriented, built on a tripartite floor plan, and consists of a square nave, a narrower square narthex and a rectangular three-sided chancel with sacristy on both sides. Each of the sections is covered with an elongated eight-faced cupola crowned with a lantern with a bulbous dome. The domes are mounted on high octagonal tambours. The interior of a dome features a faux eight-faced ceiling, while a sacristy a simple ceiling. The church is made of wooden logs and covered with weatherboards. The domes and roofs are covered with sheet metal. All facades and tambours are covered with vertical weatherboards with batten siding. The lower part of the facade features wide eaves supported by decoratively profiled ends of logs projecting from a wall. Pillar porches covered with gable roofs (probably from the early 20th century) are located immediately in front of the main entrance and side entrances to the nave. The window openings are rectangular, consist of multiple panes; in the nave, narthex and chancel they are closed segmentally and framed by a surrounds. An iconostasis has been preserved in the interior to this day.

The monument is open to visitors.

Compiled by Bożena Stanek-Lebioda, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Lublin, 24.08.2014.

 

Bibliography

  • Górak J., Dawne cerkwie drewniane w województwie zamojskim, Zamość 1984, pp. 12-13, fig. 6.
  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, vol. 8: Województwo lubelskie, issue 6: Powiat hrubieszowski, Warsaw 1964, p. 5, fig. 43.
  • „Wiadomości Konserwatorskie Województwa Lubelskiego” 2006, vol. 8, p. 54.
  • „Wiadomości Konserwatorskie Województwa Lubelskiego” 2007, vol. 9, p. 57.

transport time to the next site

17 min

Zespół cerkwi gr.-kat. pw. św. Jana Chrzciciela, ob. kościoła fil. pw. św., Mikołaja
Liski

30 minutes

transport time to the next site

18 min

cerkiew greckokatolicka, ob. kościół rzymskokatolicki filialny pw. św. Jana Ewangelisty
Sulimów

30 minutes

Print this tour

This is user generated tour. Report terms violation.

Sites from that tour

zgłoś naruszenie