Rowerem przez Ziemię Namysłowską - szlakiem drewnianych kościołów
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

users tour Towarzystwo Przyjaciół Namysłowa i Ziemi Namysłowskiej

Rowerem przez Ziemię Namysłowską - szlakiem drewnianych kościołów

11

one day

opolskie, wielkopolskie

Church of St John of Nepomuk
Wielki Buczek

15 minuts

The church of St John of Nepomuk in Wielki Buczek (the village was originally called Buczek and this is the name recorded in sources) is an example of a log structure building covered with weatherboards. It is an example of a modest rural wooden church characteristic for this region, surrounded with a village graveyard with tombs of its former owners from the 19th century.

History

The first wooden church was constructed in the 13th century, soon after the village was founded.

During the Reformation, the church area was occupied by religious dissenters, who built a new church.

The church was reclaimed by Catholics in 1666.

After a cholera epidemic in 1772, the town was chartered again close to the old village.

In 1812, the existing church was built, founded by Jan Maurycy Strachwitz, a canon from Wrocław.

Since the end of World War II, the church has been renovated numerous times. The most recent renovation took place in 2006.

In 2000, the church became an independent parish.

Descritpion

The village of Wielki Buczek is situated 16 km to the south of Kępno, by the road from Trzcinica to Rychtal. The church was built at the southern end of the village, to the south of a village road. The graveyard and the church occupy a flat terrain shaped like an elongated rectangle. To the west of the church, there are graves dating back to the 19th century. To the east, there is a functioning graveyard. In the north-eastern corner of the graveyard, a wooden bell tower was built. Around the graveyard, which is surrounded by a wooden picket and concrete fence, contemporary Stations of the Cross have been set up, and deciduous trees and thujas grow there.

The village of Wielki Buczek was first mentioned in Liber fundationis episcopatus Vratislaviensis, which was written down in the era of the bishop from Wierzbno in the years 1295-1305, under the name “Buczek”. In the Middle Ages, the village was owned by the bishops of Wrocław. The first church in the village was founded in the 13th century. During the Reformation, the church area was occupied by religious dissenters, who built a new church. The church was reclaimed by Catholics in 1666. The village, depopulated as a result of wars and a cholera epidemic, was chartered again in 1772. All homesteads in the old village were burnt down and new settlers did not have the courage to build new houses there, which is why the village was chartered in a new place. The existing wooden church was founded in 1812 by Jan Maurycy Strachwitz, a canon from Wrocław and parish priest of Namysłów. In 1845, the estate in Wielki Buczek was handed over to Count Henryk von Strachwitz. In 1873, Wielki Buczek became property of Count Aleksander Friedrich Constantin von Mitschke-Collande, who served as the starost of Ostrzeszów. It was him who moved the district capital from Ostrzeszów to Kępno, which exhibited more dynamic growth, in 1856. An impressive family tomb of the heirs of Wielki Buczek can be found at the graveyard. In 1894, the colonies Szarlota and Okrzyce, the village and the watermill were called “Buczek”. In 1928, the population of Wielki Buczek amounted to 258, with 228 of them being Polish and 30 being German. The church has been renovated numerous times since the end of World War II. Centuries ago, it was a filial church of the church of the Martyrdom (formerly Beheading) of St John in Rychtal. In 2000, it became an independent parish.

The building has a wooden log structure and features a the tower with a post-and-beam structure above the nave to the west; the exterior walls are covered with weatherboards. It is oriented and has a single nave on a nearly-square floor plan, with an elongated chancel, which is narrower than the nave and features a polygonal termination. The chancel is not covered with weatherboards and features a log structure. A sacristy and a small annex adjoin the chancel on the southern side. A porch was added to the nave on the western side. The church nave is higher than the chancel, with a quadrangular tower covered with weatherboards, topped with a bulbous cupola with a lantern, which is clad with wood shingles. Gable roofs above the nave and the chancel, as well as mono-pitched roofs clad with wood shingles. Inside the church, there are flat ceilings with crown moulding. On the western side, there is a choir gallery supported by two wooden pillars. Classicist fittings from the 19th century prevail in the church. On the eastern wall of the chancel, there is a folk crucifix. A painting of St John of Nepomuk is incorporated into the main altar from the 19th century.

The church can be visited from the outside. Visiting the building is possible by prior arrangement. More information about the parish and the Holy Mass schedule can be found on the website of the parish and the Kalisz diocese: www.diecezja.kalisz.pl

compiled by Teresa Palacz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 07-04-2015.

Bibliography

  • Maluśkiewicz P., Drewniane kościoły w Wielkopolsce, Poznań 2004.
  • Anders P., Województwo kaliskie, szkic monograficzny, Poznań 1983.
  • Rocznik Diecezji Kaliskiej - 2002, Kalisz 2002.
  • Łęcki Wł., Wielkopolska - słownik krajoznawczy, Poznań 2002.
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, Ruszczyńska T., Sławska A. (red.), t. 5, z. 7 pow. kępiński, s. 4-5, Warszawa 1958.
  • Janiszewski Józef ks., Powiat kępiński z mapą powiatu na podstawie różnych źródeł, Kępno 1928.

kościół filialny pw. św. Rocha
Proszów

15 minuts

kościół parafialny pw. św. Wawrzyńca
Woskowice Małe

15 minuts

kościół parafialny pw. św. Jana Chrzciciela
Rychnów

15 minuts

Parish Church of St Michael Archangel
Michalice

15 minuts

The wooden church in Michalice has preserved the character of a seventeenth-century temple built using a traditional building technique, with rich iconographic decorations of wall and ceiling paintings. Items of Baroque fixtures and fittings also deserve to be noted.

History

The construction of the church in Michalice was initiated by Fr. Jerzy Brzóska. Construction work was led by carpenter Miller, commemorated by an inscription on one of the beams in the nave. In the 1620s and 1650s, painted interior decorations were developed and paintings were executed on walls, ceilings and doors. The fixtures and fittings date back to the 16th and 18th centuries. The second consecration of the church took place in 1668 and was linked to the construction of a porch and installation of a choir gallery and benches.

The church was renovated several times. The painted decorations were painted over during renovation in 1879. Paintings on the ceiling and door of the sacristy were uncovered and renovated in 1914-918 and wall paintings in 1937.

Further work on the painted decorations (mainly wall paintings) was carried out in the 1930s and in the late 20th century. In 2003-2004, to better diagnose the structure and state of preservation of the church, researchers conducted an architectural inventory using 3D laser scanning and a colour orthophotoplan and photogrammetric inventory of painted decorations. Further components of the historic fixtures and fittings successively undergo conservation.

Description

The Church of St. Michael the Archangel in Michalice was built in the centre of the village, on a small hill, as a log structure on a stone foundation. To the east, the nave in the shape resembling a square adjoins a chancel closed off on three sides with a sacristy to the north. The nave adjoins a square tower to the west and a porch to the south.

The present post-and-beam tower, which was erected in 1730 in the place formerly occupied by the previous tower, is covered with wood shingles. The chancel which is narrower than the nave is closed off on three sides. To the north there is a sacristy, and to the south there is a porch with an entrance to the church. Gable roofs and cupola of the tower are covered with wood shingles, and the lantern surmounting the tower was clad with sheet metal.

The interior of the church features the original painted decorations and complete fixtures and fittings in Mannerist and Baroque style. The walls, ceilings of the chancel, main portal, door to the sacristy and rood beam are covered with painted decorations depicting scenes from the Old and New Testaments, figures of saints, coats of arms, and inscriptions referring to the history of the church. They were created in at least two stages: paintings on the ceiling in 1624 and paintings on the wall in 1653.

In the western part of the nave, there is a wooden choir (1668), to which a gallery (1736) was added along the northern wall. The fixtures and fittings of the church in the original Baroque and late Baroque style is exceptionally rich: altars (1668, 1699), pulpit (1716), baptismal font (1737), organ (1736), confessional, founders' pews, figurative sculptures (of St. John of Nepomuk and St. Sebastian, among others), and paintings.

The church is in use and is open to visitors.

compiled by Joanna Szot, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 10-06-2014.

Bibliography

  • Lutsch H., Verzeichnis der Kunstdenkmäler der Provinz Schlesien, Bd. 2: Die Kunstdenkmäler der Landkreise des Reg.-Bezirks Breslau, Breslau 1889, p. 500
  • Degen K., Bleyl W., Werbik W., Focke F., Die Bau- und Kunstdenkmäler des Kreises Namslau (Die Bau- und Kunstdenkmäler Schlesiens. Regierungsbezirk Breslau, Bd. 2), Breslau 1939
  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, vol. VII: Województwo opolskie, issue 7: Powiat namysłowski, prepared by T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, Warsaw 1965, pp. 22-26

Filial Church of the Holy Trinity
Baldwinowice

15 minuts

The church in Baldwinowice was built in several stages to different designs and by means of different construction techniques. What has remained unchanged is the originally designed Gothic layout of the church, consisting of the nave, a little narrower and straight-ended chancel with a sacristy to the north and a tower to the west. Among the old fittings and equipment, attention should be drawn to the late Gothic altar triptych and the epitaph left by the Protestants who used the temple during the Reformation.

History

The first mention of “a newly built church in Baldwinowice” comes from 1414. In that time, a stone chancel with a sacristy was already in use. It can be assumed that the entire church had been intended as a brick structure, but at that stage the construction project came to a halt. The chancel was provisionally terminated from the west or an extra aisle was added made of some unstable structure - all that with a view to making the church usable. The existing nave was added after the church was taken over by the Protestants in 1583. The tower was erected in the 2nd half of the 17th century. From 1654 the church served a Roman Catholic parish again.

Today's interior decor is the result of repeated works carried out in the 19th and early 20th century. The polychromy on the walls was repainted a number of times. The existing interior painting was produced by the painter and conservator Alfred Schneider in 1907. Yet, he preserved one painting of the first half of the 18th century. He also renovated the main altar.

The fittings (altars, pulpit, founder’s pews, sculptures and paintings) were funded in the period from the 16th to the 19th century. The organ casing from the early 18th century was purchased for the church in Baldwinowice in Rychtal in 1860.

Description

The church stands in the east part of the village, on the south side of the road, surrounded by a small, fenced cemetery. The church is oriented towards the east. The square-shaped chancel and the narrower sacristy on the north side were built of brick and supported by corner buttresses. The chancel extends into a rectangular, log structure nave and a post-and-beam tower. At the south wall of the nave, there is a porch (added later) built in the post-and-beam technique. The wooden structure of the walls is covered by weatherboards: vertical in the porch and tower and horizontal in the nave. The gable roofs are shingled. The tower is divided into two levels by a canopy. The upper, narrower part of the tower is octagonal. The brick walls, with the exception of buttresses, are covered with plaster. The splayed window openings are segment-headed, so is the door to the sacristy. The nave is lit by rectangular windows arranged in two axes: from the north and south.

The interiors are covered with flat ceilings, only the sacristy has a cradle vaulting. The ceilings are covered with Baroque polychromy with a wavy plant motif. The west part of the nave houses a choir supported by two columns, with a framed and paneled balustrade decorated with the images of angels with instruments. It adjoins a gallery (added later), also resting on two pillars and having a board balustrade, which extends along the south wall. The ornamental murals were made in 1907. From the former interior painting, only one Baroque scene of the Crucifixion has remained on the north wall of the nave. The profiled rood beam features a Baroque crucifix.

The late Baroque main altar with a carved scene of the Coronation of Mary with Joachim and Anna dates from 1720. The reredos of the late Gothic side altar - a triptych of ca. 1525. - houses a statue of the Virgin and Child with Saint Anne. The wings of the altar closet bear the images of Sts Barbara and Catherine and the scene of the Visitation. The top of the altar was added later, ca. 1700. The church also boasts a Renaissance pulpit, founder’s pews and a Baroque organ. The painted epitaph of Ulbrycht Herttl (1626) with the coats of arms and the image of the founder kneeling before a crucifix (south wall of the nave, under the gallery) comes from the Reformation period.

The monument is available to visitors.

Compiled by Joanna Szot, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 06-08-2014.

Bibliography

  • Degen K., Bleyl W., Werbik W., Focke F., Die Bau- und Kunstdenkmäler des Kreises Namslau (Die Bau- und Kunstdenkmäler Schlesiens. Regierungsbezirk Breslau, Bd. 2), Breslau 1939, s. 49-53.
  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. 7: Województwo opolskie, z. 7: Powiat namysłowski, Warszawa 1965, s. 1-2.
  • Lutsch H., Verzeichnis der Kunstdenkmäler der Provinz Schlesien, Bd. 2: Die Kunstdenkmäler der Landkreise des Reg.-Bezirks Breslau, Breslau 1889, s. 497.
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warszawa 2006, s. 97.

kościół parafialny pw. św. Jana Nepomucena
Drożki

15 minuts

kościół ewangelicki, ob. rzymskokatolicki filialny pw. św.św. Piotra i Pawła
Pągów

15 minuts

Evangelical church, today the Roman Catholic Filial Church of Our Lady of Częstochowa
Krasowice

15 minuts

One of the few surviving timber-frame churches, once very popular in this part of Silesia. It is set on the plan of a equilateral cross, with the pulpit as the most prominent element of the interior.

History

The Evangelical community built the church in 1620. It was renovated or rebuilt in 1852. Another renovation, the date is imprinted on the vane, was carried out in 1911 (a wall base was added and some interior painting). Until WW2, almost all the villagers were of Evangelical persuasion. After their displacement, the church was taken over the Roman Catholic parish in Przeczów. As part of the renovation work in the 1970s, the original shingle roofing was replaced with other materials.

Description

The church is located in the north edge of the village, among old trees, by a small cemetery. It has a frame structure filled with brick; it is built on a Greek-cross plan, with a three-sided termination of the chancel, two sacristies and a tapered bell tower from the west. A single-storey annex adjoins the nave from the north - it is a lodge open towards the interior of the church (plans to build a similar lodge on the south side failed).

The wooden structure of the walls is exposed and painted black; the brick panels are plastered; the façades of the tower are planked. Part of the old window joinery has survived featuring crown glass elements. There are wooden galleries in the transept arms; founder’s seats are present in the chancel. The Baroque equipment: main altar, pulpit, organ, and pews go back to the first half of the 18th century. The bell was cast in 1657.

The monument is available to visitors.

Compiled by Joanna Szot, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 01-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. VII: Województwo opolskie, z. 4: Powiat namysłowski, oprac. T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, Warszawa 1963.
  • Krasowice, kościół pw. MB Częstochowskiej. Karta ewidencyjna zabytków architektury i budownictwa, oprac. J. Skarbek, 2001, Archiwum WUOZ w Opolu.
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warszawa 2006.

kościół ewangelicki, ob. rzymskokatolicki filialny pw. Podwyższenia Świętego Krzyża
Smarchowice Śląskie

15 minuts

kościół parafialny pw. Wniebowzięcia Najświętszej Marii Panny
Biestrzykowice

15 minuts

Print this tour

This is user generated tour. Report terms violation.

Sites from that tour

zgłoś naruszenie