Rowerem przez Ziemię Namysłowską - trasa brązowa
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

users tour Towarzystwo Przyjaciół Namysłowa i Ziemi Namysłowskiej

Rowerem przez Ziemię Namysłowską - trasa brązowa

9

opolskie

Filial Church of St Catherine
Gręboszów

15 minuts

This neo-Romanesque church was designed by Scottish architects based in London and converted just before WW2.

History

Count Johannes Edgar Henckel von Donnersmarck, the owner of the palace and park complex and the grange in Gręboszów, funded a new, stone temple in the family cemetery next to the existing wooden church. Frank Thomas Baggallay and Walter Millard John Nash designed a neo-Romanesque church alluding to the architecture from the British Isles. The construction spanned two years between 1897 and 1899.

The church was upgraded in the years 1936-1937; the articulation of external walls was simplified and some architectural details were removed. Before the transfer of the wooden church to the Open-Air Village Museum in Opole-Bierkowice, both buildings were to be seen in the small cemetery in Gręboszów.

Description

The brick church has a south-west orientation. Its compact body houses a nave and transept, apse chancel, massive tower, and smaller annexes. Today’s architecture of the church is the effect of the 1930s transformation. The window grating still bears the Third Reich emblem (so-called “gapa”). Monochrome façades are articulated with slotted, arched windows.

The church is in use; is managed by the Roman Catholic Parish of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St Martin in Strzelce.

Compiled by Joanna Szot, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole,01-02-2015 r.

Bibliography

  • Degen K., Bleyl W., Werbik W., Focke F., Die Bau- und Kunstdenkmäler des Kreises Namslau (Die Bau- und Kunstdenkmäler Schlesiens. RegierungsbezirkBreslau, Bd. 2), Breslau 1939.
  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. VII: Województwo opolskie, z. 7: Powiat namysłowski, oprac. T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, Warszawa 1965.
  • Lutsch H., Verzeichnis der Kunstdenkmäler der Provinz Schlesien, Bd. 2: Die Kunstdenkmäler der Landkreise des Reg.-Bezirks Breslau, Breslau 1889.
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warszawa 2006.

Family cemetery, today parish cemetery
Gręboszów

15 minuts

Cemetery of the Prittwitz-Gaffron family, founders of the Gręboszów estate, and their successors, the Henckel von Donnersmarck family. The preserved tombstones date back to the 18th to 20th century, among them a rare cast iron obelisk.

History

The cemetery was set up near a wooden Protestant church built in the center of the village in 1613 by Baron Cyprian Kottuliński. From the 18th century, or perhaps even earlier, it was the resting place of the Prittwitz-Gaffron family members, the owners of the Gręboszów estate. Between 1897 and 1899, their successors, the Henckel von Donnersmarck family, funded a brick church in the east corner of the burial ground. The church was fashioned after the neo-Romanesque architecture of the British Isles. The Baroque church served only funeral purposes. In the 1960s, it was relocated to the Open-Air Village Museum in Opole-Bierkowice.

Description

The necropolis is just opposite, occupying an area similar to a rectangle in shape of approx. 0.88 ha. A brick church sits on the east side. It was erected in the 19th century and upgraded in the 1930s. The cemetery, now serving as the parish burial ground, features the tombs of the past estate owners and village residents. Besides unquestionable historical values, they boast a wide range of artistic content and forms typical of the tombstone art of the 18th to 20th century. Particularly interesting is a cast iron obelisk of Gustav Adolf Henckel von Donnersmarck (fell in the Battle of Głogów in 1813 during the Franco-Prussian War). Unfortunately, a vase is missing that once topped the obelisk. Another tombstone with a vase belongs to the king's legal counsel Hans Moritz von Prittwitz und Gaffron (died 1789) and Johanna Eleonora von Prittwitz (died 1793). There are also examples of Art Nouveau and modernist graves.

The cemetery is open to the public.

Compiled by Joanna Szot, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 01-05-2015 r.

Bibliography

  • Degen K., Bleyl W., Werbik W., Focke F., Die Bau- und Kunstdenkmäler des Kreises Namslau (Die Bau- und Kunstdenkmäler Schlesiens. Regierungsbezirk Breslau, Bd. 2), Breslau 1939.
  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. VII: Województwo opolskie, z. 7: Powiat namysłowski, oprac. T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, Warszawa 1965.
  • Lutsch H., Verzeichnis der Kunstdenkmäler der Provinz Schlesien, Bd. 2: Die Kunstdenkmäler der Landkreise des Reg.-Bezirks Breslau, Breslau 1889.
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warszawa 2006.

zespół pałacowy
Gręboszów

15 minuts

Parish Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (church complex)
Strzelce

15 minuts

An example of wooden ecclesiastical architecture, typical for the region.

History

The church was erected in the first half of the 17th century and was subsequently redesigned and restored on a number of occasions. The chancel annexes were added in 1971.

Description

The church is situated in the central part of the village of Strzelce, on a plot of land circumscribed by a fence. It is a single-nave church designed in the Baroque style, oriented towards the east. The church is a wooden log structure, positioned on a brick foundation with a plaster finish, its walls covered with weatherboards; the roof is clad with ceramic roof tiles. Inside, the church features a flat ceiling. The nave was designed on a roughly square floor plan, while the chancel, erected on a rectangular floor plan, features a semi-hexagonal end section. A pair of brick annexes adjoin the southern and northern walls of the chancel. A timber-framed porch with brick infill adjoins the western wall of the nave. The roofs are of the gable type. A steeple rises above the ridge of the nave roof. The walls are covered with weatherboards arranged in a vertical pattern and pierced with a number of rectangular window openings. The interior décor dates back to the 17th and 18th century. The church is accompanied by a bell tower.

Property of the parish - the structure can be viewed from the outside.

compiled by Olga Wróblewska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Toruń, 05-03-2015.

Bibliogaphy

  • Kujawsko-pomorskie dla każdego. Przewodnik turystyczny po najciekawszych miejscach województwa, Bykowski W., Bykowski W., Bydgoszcz 2005, p. 84.

pałac
Strzelce

15 minuts

grób Jana Skali
Dziedzice

15 minuts

kościół filialny pw. św. Jadwigi
Woskowice Górne

15 minuts

pałac, ob. Ośrodek Leczenia Odwykowego
Woskowice Małe

15 minuts

kościół parafialny pw. św. Wawrzyńca
Woskowice Małe

15 minuts

Print this tour

This is user generated tour. Report terms violation.

Sites from that tour

zgłoś naruszenie