School - Zabytek.pl
woj. mazowieckie, pow. ostrowski, gm. Nur-gmina wiejska
The feature has mainly a historical value: in the years 1908-1911 Stefan Wyszyński - the later-to-become Cardinal and Primate of Poland - started his education in the school in Zuzela. Moreover, this feature is the only example of a single-class school in the northern Mazovia.
The school building was erected in the late 19th century and used until 1945. From 1946 it was a seat of the Village National Council. From 1975 onwards the building was out of use. In 1987 it underwent thorough renovation and was adapted to serve as a museum. The general renovation included the replacement of foundation, safeguarding and partial replacement of scribe logs, safeguarding and partial replacement of ceiling beams and boarding battens, replacement of roof truss, roof cover and a partial replacement of woodwork.
The former school in Zuzela is located in the middle of the village, opposite a parish church. The building is side-gabled to the road running across the village. The school was erected on a rectangular floor plan, has three bays and a pass-by hall in the middle. The eastern part includes a large classroom. The northern, two-bay part includes a room and a kitchen at the back. A rectangular porch is located along the axis at the front. The building’s body is rectangular, one-storey with a basement, topped with a tall gable roof with wide eaves. The middle porch, lower than a scribe, is covered with a flattened gable roof. The school was made of wooden logs. The foundation was laid of fieldstones. A scribe made of pine bales is connected length-wise with tenons; dovetail assembly on the corners with cut log extensions. The building is plastered on the inside. It has wooden floors made of boards on joists. The hall includes a floor made of clinker tiles. The ceilings are made of wooden beams with upper boarding, thermally insulated by pugging. The eastern room includes floor beams atop a longitudinal crossbeam. The roof structure is made of rafter and queen-post trusswork. The roof is covered with wood shingles. Windows are wooden, framed, double-winged, six-field with panelled shutters. Wooden, framed, panelled, one-wing doors. External doors with a transom light, double-wing doors in the front. Brick, single-flight stairs to the basement. Stairs to a wooden attic are of a single-flight type with an external handrail. Brick, column chimneys. The front porch has a post-and-frame structure. External stairs are made of broken fieldstones. Building façades with exposed wall structure, laid on a stone foundation, partitioned by rectangular window and door openings. Openings in profiled claddings made of boards. Eaves with a soffit made of boards. Gables, decoratively covered with weatherboards, include windows along axes. Five-axis front façade with a porch along the axis. Below the porch, there is a main door with windows along side axes. A three-axis rear façade with windows on the sides and a door in the middle, accentuated with one-wing windows. Analogical double-axis gable façades with windows along axes.
The structure is open to visitors throughout the year on museum working hours.
Compiled by Katarzyna Kosior, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Warsaw, 14-11-2014.
- Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, Tom X Województwo Warszawskie, zeszyt 12 powiat ostrowsko - mazowiecki, Instytut Sztuki PAN, Warszawa 1974 r.
- Karta ewidencyjna zabytku architektury i budownictwa tzw Karta Biała, St. Fiedorczuk, 2000 r.
Category: public building
Protection: Register of monuments
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_14_BK.181722