Evangelical church of the Garden of Christ, currently Roman-Catholic parish church of Our Lady of Częstochowa, Zielona Góra
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Evangelical church of the Garden of Christ, currently Roman-Catholic parish church of Our Lady of Częstochowa

Zielona Góra

photo

The church of Our Lady of Częstochowa in Zielona Góra is the only such a large building in the Lubuskie voivodeship erected using a timber frame structure and representing the group of 18th-century Protestant churches, with excellently preserved fittings.

History

Initially, the Lutherans of Zielona Góra gathered in a small church of the Holy Trinity on the present Słowiański Square, and then - in the years 1741-1748, the services were held in one of the representative rooms of the city hall. In the years 1745-1748, the present church of Our Lady of Częstochowa was built. The works were carried out under the direction of master builder Lipoldt and carpenter Gottfried Fischer. Initially, the church was without a tower, however its construction was planned - four additional piers were introduced in the southern part of the church. The tower came into being in 1828, made by stonemason Harmuth and carpenter Malcki. After 1945, the church was taken over by Catholics. There was an idea to dismantle the building, which was finally abandoned. In 1949, the church was consecrated. In 1987, a separate parish of Our Lady of Częstochowa was established. After the war, a number of renovations were carried out. Most recently, in the years 2007-2008, roof cladding was replaced, and façades were renovated.

Description

The church of Our Lady of Częstochowa is located in the city centre, approx. 100 m to the north from the city hall. From the north-west, it is surrounded by a small green square. The building is oriented. It is a Baroque church with a Classicist front façade shaped as a tower. The church was built on a timber frame with brick infills; it is based on a central plan of a Greek cross. The tower, made of brick and stone, is incorporated into the winged front façade. The body has two storeys and is covered with a high mansard roof with ceramic cladding. The tower is topped with a terrace and covered with an octagonal spire. The façades of the nave feature a regular timber frame structure with plastered infills. They are pierced with axially arranged windows, square on the ground floor level and in the upper storey rectangular, with segmental arches. The three-storey tower façade is accentuated with a flat central avant-corps topped with a triangular pediment. Entrance openings, with historic joinery, are located in the ending sections of the cross arms. The interior is covered with a beamed ceiling. Three levels of galleries, resting on posts and connected with the structure of peripheral walls, outlining the whole. The sumptuous fittings of the church include main altarpiece from 1747, stone Rococo baptismal font from 1755, cancellus from 1747, pulpit from approx. mid-18th century, Baroque pipe organ casing from 1752, and Baroque and Rococo epitaphs.

The site is open to the public. It can be visited by prior telephone arrangement.

compiled by Marta Kłaczkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 17-08-2015.

Bibliography

  • Bielinis-Kopeć B., Zabytki Zielonej Góry, Bydgoszcz 2010, s. 64-77.
  • Szymańska-Dereń M., Kościoły zrębowe i szkieletowe województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2009, s. 135-138.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1. poł. XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Zielona Góra
  • Location: Voivodeship lubuskie, district Zielona Góra, commune Zielona Góra
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area