Former old Lutheran church, currently Evangelical-Augsburg church of Jesus Christ - Zabytek.pl
Zielona Góra, Kazimierza Wielkiego 11
woj. lubuskie, pow. m. Zielona Góra, gm. Zielona Góra-gmina miejska
The artistic form of the church draws inspiration from the Baroque art. The church is one of the tourist attractions of the city.
It was built in the years 1909-1911, away from the city centre, for the Old Lutheran community. It was designed by architect E. Schulze. The ceremony of the laying of the church’s foundation stone was held on 22 August 1909. The event was attended by numerous citizens and representatives of authorities and clergy. After two years of construction, on 11 June 1911, the church was consecrated. The costs of construction amounted to approx. 60 thousand marks. The pipe organ which is currently present in the Evangelical church of Jesus Christ comes from the Old Lutheran chapel on Dr Pieniężnego Street. In 1936, two bells were installed on the church tower. Until 1945, the building was a filial church to the parish in Kożuchów. After World War II, it was taken over by Catholics who used it as a wedding chapel of St Joseph. In 1950, the church returned to the Evangelicals.
The church was erected from brick on a rectangular floor plan, with a separated chancel terminating in a semi-hexagon from the west and a porch from the east. On the southern side of the church, there is a sacristy and a side nave on a quadrilateral floor plan. From the north, there is another side nave built on a rectangular floor plan. The tower with a staircase, built on a polygonal floor plan from the south, constitutes a dominant architectural feature. The five-storey tower is 33.5 m high. Window openings of the church vary in size, shape, and upper sections. The façades are plastered with cement and lime, with scrapped finish. The main nave is covered with a high gable roof made of ceramic tiles. The tower and the staircase are covered with a bulbous cupola with an orb with a cross. The front façade of the church is accentuated by a segment-headed gable framed in volutes. Curvy gables top the porch, side façades, tower, and staircase. The main nave is covered with a false barrel vault. The vault is entirely covered with painted decorations with ornamental foliate and geometric motifs. Side naves are covered with ceilings. The interior features preserved ceramic flooring. Window and door joinery originate from the times of construction. Surviving fittings of the church include: altarpiece from 1910, pulpit from 1910, stained glass panes in the windows of the chancel from 1911, pews from 1910, two chandeliers from 1911, pipe organ made in 1883, brought from the Old Lutheran chapel, and two cast iron ovens from the early 20th century.
The church is owned by a religious community. It celebrates regular masses. It is open to the public.
compiled by Krzysztof Słowiński, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 08-07-2014.
- Bielenis-Kopeć B., Zabytki Zielonej Góry, Zielona Góra 2005 r.
- Kowalski S., Zabytki architektury województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2010 r.
- Kowalski S., Zabytki Środkowego Nadodrza, Zielona Góra 1976 r.
- Pertyt - Gierasimczuk I., Czas architekturą zapisany, Zielona Góra 1998 r.
- Biała Karta: Luterański Kościół Chrystusowy, ob. Ewangelicki Kościół Jezusowy, autor Marlena Kopij, opracowanie z 2004, [w] archiwum LWKZ w Zielonej Górze.
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_08_BK.44986, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_08_BK.214247