Parish Church of St Nicholas, Zieliniec
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish Church of St Nicholas

Zieliniec

photo

The church is an interesting example of 17th-century ecclesiastical wooden architecture in Greater Poland.

History

Zieliniec, referred to as Zielony Dąb [Green Oak] in the Middle Ages and then as Zieleniec (until the mid-19th century), originally belonged to the Szaszor—Opal family from Graboszewo and Gałęzewo. The village was mentioned by written records for the first time in 1288, when it was listed as one of the estates left by the knight Dzierżykraj Westkowic to his heirs. In the next centuries, the village frequently changed ownership. From the 15th century to 1643, it belonged to the Zieleński family of the Jelita coat of arms, and in the 2nd half of the 17th century — successively to the Grabski, Nowowiejski, Malczewski, Suliński, and Osiecki families. In the late 17th century, Zieleniec became the property of Bronisław Bronikowski, who purchased the two parts into which the village was divided from the Sulińskis and the Osieckis. In 1724, Bronikowski sold the village to Stanisław Żychliński. The next owners of Zieleniec were: from 1729 — Jan Strzyski, and in the years 1737-1817 — the Tomicki family. In the 2nd half of the 19th century, the lands were purchased by the Pilaskis, and then, in 1881 — by Schulz from Kołaczkowo (that was when the name “Zieleniec” was used for the first time). From the early 20th century, the owners of the village were the Wilkoszewski family, who built a palace there.

The Parish of St Nicholas was most likely established in the 13th or 14th century. A parish-priest named Nicholas was mentioned in 1417 and a rector scholae was mentioned in 1533. The wooden church which survives to this day was most probably built in the 17th century; a bell tower was erected in its vicinity, probably at the same time. Survey documentation dating from 1695 contains information about a church and a school. The building was renovated in 1865. The next full-scale renovation works were carried out in the years 1983-1988; they included the replacement of the wooden walls with brick walls covered with weatherboards and major modifications to the interior.

Description

The Church of St Nicholas, along with a former graveyard, is situated in the western part of Zieliniec, near a palace and park complex. It is surrounded by a partially preserved stone wall. To the south-west of the church, there is a free-standing bell tower.

The church has one nave (with no aisles), having a rectangular floor plan, with a slightly narrower chancel, terminating in a flat wall, on the east side. A rectangular sacristy adjoins the chancel on the north side. A small square porch adjoins the nave on the south side. Both the nave and the slightly lower chancel are covered with tall gable roofs. Above the western section of the nave roof, there is an octagonal steeple covered with an onion-shaped cupola crowned with a sphere and a cross. The sacristy is covered with a mono-pitched roof and the south porch — with a gable roof.

Originally, the church had a wooden log structure reinforced with vertical supports. Currently, it has brick walls on a stone socle, covered with weatherboards on the outside. The roofs are covered with wood shingles; the steeple cupola is made of sheet metal. Inside, there is a wooden ceiling.

The exterior walls of the church are covered with vertically positioned boards. The door opening and the windows are rectangular.

The interior was substantially modified during the renovation works carried out in the 1980s. The original interior fittings from the mid-17th century include a painting of St Nicholas and two sculptures of holy priests at the main altar, as well as a Late-Gothic stone stoup, currently placed outside the church.

The bell tower is situated to the south-west of the church. It has a square floor plan. It is topped with a hip roof and has a wooden post-and-beam structure; the roof is covered with wood shingles and the walls are covered with weatherboards.

The church is open to visitors. More information about the parish and the Holy Mass schedule can be found on the website of the Gniezno Archdiocese: www.archidiecezja.pl.

compiled by Krzysztof Jodłowski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 07-08-2015.

Bibliography

  • Drewniane kościoły w Wielkopolsce, koncepcja, teksty i wybór fotografii P. Maluśkiewicz, Poznań 2004, s. 292.
  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. V, z. 29: powiat wrzesiński, Warszawa 1960, s. 21.
  • Kozierowski S., Szematyzm historyczny ustrojów parafialnych dzisiejszej Archidiecezji Gnieźnieńskiej, Poznań 1934, s. 243-44.
  • Łukaszewicz J., Krótki opis historyczny kościołów parochialnych…, t. I, Poznań 1858, s. 367.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: XVII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Zieliniec
  • Location: Voivodeship wielkopolskie, district wrzesiński, commune Kołaczkowo
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area