Filial Church of St Clement, Zielęcin
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Filial Church of St Clement

Zielęcin

photo

The church is an example of Late-Gothic ecclesiastical wooden architecture in Greater Poland. Built in 1640, it still has the original fittings from the late 18th and early 19th century. It is situated at the “District Tourist Trail of Michał Drzymała — Wooden Churches of the Grodzisk District”.

History

The Church of St Clement was mentioned in written records for the first time in 1427. In the years 1563-1611, the church was in the hands of Protestants. The present church building (which replaced a previous one) was completed in 1640. Devastated in 1725, it was restored in 1781 by Ignacy Świniarski, a judge from Starodub. The next church renovations were carried out in the years 1971-1972 — the weatherboards and the ceiling boards were replaced then, and in 1986, a brick wall base was constructed.

Description

The church is situated in the southern part of the village, by a road to Prochy, in a view corridor towards the main entrance gate to a manor house. The church yard is surrounded by a wooden fence, adjoined by a modern morgue on the east side.

The church is oriented to the east. It has a wooden log structure. The walls are covered with weatherboards. It has one nave (no aisles) and a narrower chancel terminating in a semi-hexagon. A sacristy adjoins the chancel on the north side and new porches adjoin the nave on the south and west sides.

The nave and the chancel are of equal height. The church is covered with a gable roof passing into a three-pitched roof with very wide eaves over the chancel. As for the porches, the south one is covered with wood shingles and the west one is covered with sheet metal. Inside, there is a ceiling constructed in 1972; the sacristy has a beamed ceiling. The nave and the chancel are separated with a profiled rood beam. The music gallery, having a protruding central part, is supported by two posts. The church features the original Early-Baroque main altar from c. 1630, renovated in the 19th and then in the 20th century.

The historic monument is accessible. More information is available on the website of the Poznań Archdiocese: www.archpoznan.pl.

compiled by Radomiła Banach, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 23-09-2015.

Bibliography

  • J. Łukaszewicz, Krótki opis historyczny kościołów parochialnych w dawnej diecezji poznańskiej, Poznań 1858, s.486-87.
  • Drewniane kościoły w Wielkopolsce, koncepcja, teksty i wybór fotografii P. Maluśkiewicz, Poznań 2004, s. 291.
  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. V, z. 10: dawny powiat kościański, Warszawa 1980, s. 118-119.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1640 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Szkolna 24, Zielęcin
  • Location: Voivodeship wielkopolskie, district grodziski, commune Wielichowo - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area