Manor house complex - Zabytek.pl
woj. wielkopolskie, pow. średzki, gm. Zaniemyśl-gmina wiejska
A location associated with the figure of Count Edward Raczyński (1786-1845), a Greater Poland patriot and patron of culture, particularly in the context of the honourable suicide committed in this place.
The island at the Zaniemyskie Lake was given to Count Edward Raczyński on 1 October 1815 by Józef Jaraczewski, the owner of Zaniemyśl. In 1817-1819, Raczyński build there a wooden manor house habitually referred to as a Swiss house due to its style. When the manor house was being built (1817-1820), the island was planted with deciduous trees: lindens, oaks and willows, among others.
Raczyński was willing to rest and work at the Edward’s Island. It is around the island, on the waters of the Zaniemyskie Lake, where he organised his famous naumachias referred to as the Zaniemyskie sea battles, with the participation of a fleet which he built. However, the Edward’s Island remains in the memory of both his contemporaries and subsequent generations above all as the place of Count Edward Raczyński’s suicidal death (20 January 1845) which he committed devastated by accusations of financial malversations in connection with the Golden Chapel which he was building in the Poznań Cathedral. After Raczyński’s death, the island was returned to its previous owners.
The manor house building was repeatedly renovated in the 19th and 20th century, while its interiors were successively transformed according to the needs of subsequent users. After the Second World War, the Swiss house was used by the Polish Tourist and Sightseeing Society, State Fish Farms, Real Estate and Agricultural Market Development Agency, and finally, at the beginning of the 21st century, it was handed over for use to the Zaniemyśl commune. Since 2011, the island’s terrain and the manor house have been restored and renovated. When the works are finished, the Edward’s Island will be made available for visitors.
The manor house is a two-storey wooden building with a log structure, with brick inner walls. Thatched gable roof is supported by posts. On the first floor, the building is surrounded by a wooden porch with external staircase leading to it. A plaque commemorating the figure of Mieczysław Orłowicz (1881-1959), a famous Polish ethnographer and tourism propagator who often visited the manor house, was placed on one of the walls in 1971. Also the tourist route connecting Zaniemyśl with Kórnik has been named after him.
The park covers the majority of the island. Currently, as a result of planting many species, the varied forest stand is composed of several-hundred-year-old lindens, black alders, ashes, aspens, and about several dozens of oaks, ten or so of which have been declared natural monuments. Particular attention should be paid to the oak growing near the Swiss house which is distinguished by three trunks.
The historical site is not accessible. Until the end of the renovation works, the Edward’s Island is not accessible for visitors.
compiled by Tomasz Łuczak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznań, 13-10-2014.
- Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, t. 5, z. 24: Powiat średzki, oprac. red. T. Ruszczyńska, A. Sławska, Warszawa 1964.
- Wielkopolska. Słownik krajoznawczy, red. Łęcki Włodzimierz, Poznań 2002, s. 411-412.
Category: manor house
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_30_BK.168976, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_30_BK.62698