Evangelical church of the Crib of Jesus Christ (Kripplein Christi), Wschowa
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Evangelical church of the Crib of Jesus Christ (Kripplein Christi)

Wschowa

photo

The Evangelical congregation, coming from the 17th century, constitutes a valuable monument of Protestant sacred architecture, with uniform, consistent form.

History

The building was erected in 1604 after Evangelicals had been forced to leave the parish church. Therefore, two houses by town walls were built and over a period of three months, they were converted into a church. As the first services were held on Christmas, the church was dedicated to the Crib of Jesus Christ. After the fire in 1685, the building was covered with a common high roof. The tower by the Polish Gate was adapted to serves as a belfry. In 1720 and 1733, the annexes were added. After 1945, the congregation was used a storehouse. In the years 2004-2005, archaeological and architectural surveys were carried out in the facility. At that time, a crypt with the remains of Zofia Ujejska, wife of the Starost of Wschowa, Hieronim Radomicki, was discovered. The building is not in use.

Description

The former Evangelical congregation is located in the old town area, in its northern part, at Powstańców Wielkopolskich Street, and it adjoins town walls from the north. By the southern wall of the church, there is a building of the former Evangelical school from 1607. The church, which was built in the early 17th century, does not have any distinct stylistic features, the décor and fittings, which have survived in fragments, represent a Late Renaissance style.

The building is made of brick - except for the northern wall which originally constituted part of defensive walls and is made of stone. It is oriented and built on the floor plan of an irregular quadrilateral. From the north, south, and eastern, there are annexes built on a rectangular floor plan. The tower by the former Polish Gate has a semi-circular floor plan. The nave is covered with a gable roof, projecting over the northern annex. The eastern and southern annex are covered with a shed roof, and the tower - with a sheet metal tented roof. The roofs are clad in ceramic beaver tail tiles. The front façade is partitioned with windows of various shapes, on three levels, and closed in the upper section with a gable adorned with double-arch blind windows and a sculpted scene of the Crucifixion. The church is aisleless and covered with a wooden ceilings resting on slender columns. The interior is embraced with three-storey wooden galleries from the 2nd half of the 17th century. In the western part, there is a semi-elliptical choir from the 18th century, with a balustrade decorated with ornaments. Few surviving elements of the fittings include Renaissance choir stalls from the early 17th century.

The building may be visited upon prior telephone appointment.

compiled by Marta Kłaczkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 30-09-2014.

Bibliography

  • Kowalski S., Zabytki architektury województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2010, s. 413.
  • Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, Tom II, Zielona Góra 2012, s. 310.
  • Karta Ewidencyjna Zabytków Architektury i Budownictwa, tzw. karta biała, opr. K. Wojciechowska, 2004 r.

General information

  • Type: sacral architecture
  • Chronology: 1604
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Powstańców Wielkopolskich , Wschowa
  • Location: Voivodeship lubuskie, district wschowski, commune Wschowa - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area