Hotel for single persons and childless marriages, currently the Park Hotel and the Training Centre of the National Labour Inspectorate - house No. 31 at the “Living and Work Space” exhibition „Wohnung- und Werkraum Ausstellung”, WuWA, Wrocław
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Hotel for single persons and childless marriages, currently the Park Hotel and the Training Centre of the National Labour Inspectorate - house No. 31 at the “Living and Work Space” exhibition „Wohnung- und Werkraum Ausstellung”, WuWA

Wrocław

photo

The hotel for single persons and childless marriages is an innovative type of hotel whose design refers to forms characteristic of shipbuilding. It is a prominent example of the functionalist style of modern architecture. It is an element of the model, experimental housing estate accompanying the WuWA exhibition, which is an excellent example of the implementation of modern trends in European urban planning and architecture of the 1920s.

History

The hotel was established in 1929 as a building of the housing estate built as part of the Wrocław exhibition devoted to the design of residential and workplace buildings: „Wohnung und Werkraum Ausstellung” (WuWA). It was intended for the middle class - students, doctors, white-collar workers. It contained 16 apartments with an area of 37 m2 each, 32 apartments with an area of 27 m2 each, and a restaurant. The architectural and interior design was prepared by Hans Scharoun. In 1945, the building was handed over to the Labour Inspection School to be used as a dormitory. Full-scale renovations of the building have been carried out in stages since 1993.

Description

The hotel for single persons and childless marriages, enclosing the housing estate from the north (from the side of Szczytnicki Park), is situated at the intersection of Edwarda Dembowskiego and Mikołaja Kopernika Streets. It is a reinforced concrete structure of the „Kartenblattbauweise” type (a house of cards). Exterior walls: foundations and lower parts of the walls made of concrete, upper parts made of brick, overground storey walls: cast-in-place reinforced concrete framework, with a filling made of pumice stone blocks, cement-lime exterior plasterwork. Smooth interior walls made of pumice stone blocks and of wood. The ceilings are flat and made of reinforced concrete. Massive flat roofs, covered with bituminous paper. Garden terraces were designed on the roof. Modern materials were used (PCV). The hotel was erected on a tripartite floor plan, with a dynamically shaped structure with two projecting residential wings of different heights; all parts have basements. The building consists of a two-storeyed central part containing a hall and a reception desk, a right wing (three-storeyed), and a left wing (two-storeyed). The central part and the right wing have rounded, curved walls. In front of the central part, there is a restaurant terrace surrounded by a stone retaining wall. An elongated porch leads to the main entrance. The multi-axis facades, having large surfaces, are accentuated with horizontal rows of balconies and windows. The facade of the central part features a six-partite hall window. There is a terrace on the roof, connected with a terrace over the left wing by means of spiral stairs. In the right wing, there are 16 larger apartments with balconies, originally intended for childless marriages, and a restaurant on the ground floor; in the left wing, there are 32 smaller apartments, originally intended for single persons. The apartments, two-storeyed, have two rooms and a kitchenette. They take up two levels and extend along the whole width of the building. Communication was provided by common corridors located on the northern side, serving both levels of the apartments, accessible from the hall by means of independent staircases.

Limited access to the site. The structure can be visited from the outside. The rooms are accessible to hotel guests.

compiled by Bogna Oszczanowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wroclaw, 12-08-2014.

Bibliography

  • Brzezicki S., Nielsen Ch., Grajewski G., Popp D. (red.), Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warszawa 2006, s. 1037-1038.
  • Eysymontt R., Ilkosz J., Tomaszewicz A., Urbanik J. (red.), Leksykon architektury Wrocławia, Wrocław 2011, nr kat. 893, s. 797-798.
  • Harasimowicz J. (red.), Atlas architektury Wrocławia, t. 1: Budowle sakralne. Świeckie budowle publiczne, Wrocław 1997, nr kat. 239, s. 196-197.
  • Urbanik J., Wrocławska wystawa Werkbundu WUWA 1929-2009, Wrocław 2009.
  • Werkbund Ausstellung. Wohnung und Werkraum. Breslau 1929. 15 Juni bis 15 September. Ausstellungs Führer, Breslau 1929 [katalog wystawy].

General information

  • Type: public building
  • Chronology: 1929 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Mikołaja Kopernika 9, Wrocław
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district Wrocław, commune Wrocław
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area