Manor house complex (currently serving as the Henryk Sienkiewicz Museum), Wola Okrzejska
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Manor house complex (currently serving as the Henryk Sienkiewicz Museum)

Wola Okrzejska

photo

Remains of a manor house complex having enormous significance for the local history and culture as the birthplace of the writer Henryk Sienkiewicz. The wooden manor house which nowadays is traditionally referred to as the outbuilding houses a museum dedicated to the novelist.

History

Wola Okrzejska - part of the Okrzeja demesne - remained the property of the Samborzecki noble family during the 16th and early 17th century; later on, it was acquired by the Leśniowolski family. Somewhere in the mid-18th century, the land became the property of the Cieciszowski family. In 1781, Antoni Cieciszowski sold Wola Okrzejska to his relative, Adam Cieciszowski, the grand crown scribe whose wife was Teresa Cieciszowska née Lelewel, the benefactor of the church in Okrzeja. It is also at her request that some of the buildings forming part of the manor are believed to have been erected in the late 18th century; out of these, only the so-called southern outbuilding has survived, positioned in parallel to the old manor house (known as the northern outbuilding) and probably originally intended to serve as a new manor house. It was here, in Wola Okrzejska, that Joachim Lelewel, a renowned historian and politician, spend the days of his youth in the company of his family at the turn of the 19th century. In 1815, the manor was acquired by the son of its previous owners, Adam Cieciszowski, as well as his wife - Felicjanna Cieciszowska née Rostworowska. It was here, in the house of his grandmother, that on May 5, 1846 Henryk Sienkiewicz - the son of Józef Sienkiewicz and Stefania Sienkiewicz née Cieciszkowska and the future Noble Prize winner - was born. From 1855 onwards, the owner of Wola Okrzejska was Adam Cieciszkowski, the writer’s paternal uncle. In 1880, the manor, somewhat diminished due to the expropriation of land for the construction of the Dęblin-Łuków railway line, was put up for auction and was ultimately purchased by Joel Wegmajster and Jakub Bernstein. Later on, the manor was partitioned between the descendants of both families. During World War II, the land was confiscated by the Germans. In 1946 it was taken over by the State Treasury and subdivided into smaller pieces. After the war, the former manor house (the so-called northern outbuilding) served as a school. Following the closure thereof, the building has fallen into ruin and was ultimately torn down. The surviving northern outbuilding (the former manor house) was subjected to a comprehensive restoration in years 1964-1966, during which most of the wooden structure was replaced. Once the process was completed, the house was adapted to serve as a museum.

Description

The manor house complex is located at the south-western edge of the village, in the vicinity of the local school. Today, all that remains of the complex is the so-called southern outbuilding (the former manor house) and the foundations of the now-defunct earlier manor house known as the northern outbuilding, surrounded by the remains of a small park. The northern outbuilding is a single-storey structure designed on a rectangular floor plan. Its external walls are made of wood, covered with plaster on both sides. The inner partition walls, on the other hand, are made of brick. The house is covered with a hip roof clad with wood shingles, with eyebrow dormers on the northern side. The wooden roof truss is of a rafter and collar type. The interior is divided into a number of different rooms and generally follows a two-bay enfilade layout, with a single, larger room in the rear suite of rooms. The entrances are located in the front (northern) façade as well as in the side façades, with a small porch adjoining the manor house to the west. The front façade follows a symmetrical, five-axial layout with an entrance in the middle. The southern façade, facing the local road, also follows a five-axial layout and is pierced with a number of windows. The façades are smoothly plastered, their surface painted white. The window and door joinery is painted in a dark, contrasting colour, with the windows being flanked by wooden shutters. The interiors have been adapted as exhibition space of the Henryk Sienkiewicz Museum. In the middle of the park there lie the foundations and basements of the now-defunct northern outbuilding (the former manor house). The original layout of the landscape park has been completely obscured, with all that remains being the impressive, ancient hornbeam trees. The park also serves as an open-air exhibition space for a collection of folk sculptures.

Accessible historic site (Henryk Sienkiewicz Museum).

compiled by Bożena Stanek-Lebioda, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Lublin, 17-06-2015.

Bibliography

  • Dzięcioł A., Na literackiej Lubelszczyźnie, Chełm 2009, pp. 36-37.
  • Omilanowska M., Polska. Pałace i dwory, Warsaw 2005, p. 104.
  • Rydel M., Jam dwór polski, Gdańsk, p. 121, 127.

General information

  • Type: manor house
  • Chronology: koniec XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Wola Okrzejska
  • Location: Voivodeship lubelskie, district łukowski, commune Krzywda
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area