Roman Catholic filial church of Our Lady of Rokitno and St Michael, Witków
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Roman Catholic filial church of Our Lady of Rokitno and St Michael

Witków

photo

An example of Gothic sacred architecture with an interesting portal, circumscribed by a stone wall with a gate house.

History

The church was erected in the 14th century or, as other sources indicated, in the late 13th century. It was mentioned in written records for the first time in 1376. In 1521, it was modernised. At that time, the vault of the chancel was lowered, among other things. Probably also at that time, the tower was extended upwards and a chapel was added to the church. During further modifications, taking place in the 18th century, windows of the church were re-designed. In the Reformation period, the church was taken over by Protestants; in 1668. After World War II, the church was not used for a long time. A renovation was carried out in the years 1989-1993. Since that time, the church has remained in use.

Description

The church is located in the heart of the village, by the road Małomice - Siecieborzyce. It is circumscribed by a stone late-Gothic wall, with a single-storey gate house. The church is a Gothic, oriented building of the single-nave type, with a chancel built on a rectangular floor plan, of equal width with the nave. On the northern side, there is a sacristy, on the south - a chapel with semicircular end section, and on the west, a buttressed tower erected on a square floor plan. The main body is covered with a high gable roof, framed from the east with a gable with pinnacles. The tower is topped with a hip tented roof. The church is built of field stone and bog iron. The roofs have sheet metal covering. The façades are not plastered; they are pierced with window openings topped with segmental arches and pointed arches. On the level of the uppermost storey of the tower, there are two paired windows with brick casings and lancets. In the southern wall, there are two pointed-arch portals. The portal on the eastern side, framing the entrance to the chancel, with presbytery bar tracery, is enlivened with a tympanum with a relief depiction of the Crucifixion. The nave and the chancel are covered with wooden ceilings, and the sacristy and the chapel are topped with barrel vaults. Inside, there is a surviving epitaph of Nicolo von Warendorf from 1548.

The building is available all year round and may be visited upon prior appointment.

compiled by Anna Jackiewicz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 20-11-2014.

Bibliography

  • Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, t. 2: Powiaty: żarski - żagański - nowosolski - wschowski, Zielona Góra 2012, s.149-151.
  • Kowalski S., Zabytki architektury województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2010, s. 404
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warszawa 2006, s. 936.
  • Karta ewidencyjna, Kościół filialny pw. Matki Boskiej Rokitniańskiej i św. Michała, oprac. J. Muszyński, S. Kowalski, Archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków w Zielonej Górze

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: XIV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Witków
  • Location: Voivodeship lubuskie, district żagański, commune Szprotawa - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area