Evangelical church, currently the Roman Catholic filial Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Witaszkowo
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Evangelical church, currently the Roman Catholic filial Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Witaszkowo

photo

The church in Witaszkowo is an example of vanishing architecture featuring a timber frame structure with brick infills, which was characteristic of the buildings erected in northern Europe.

History

Witaszkowo is a small village, the origins of which go back to the Middle Ages. In the period from the 14th century to the 16th century it was owned by the Dallwitz family, then by the Beldreich family, and to the Schoenaich family since 1578. In 1749 a church, which probably was founded by the family of Schoenaich from Gębice, was built in the village. The church underwent renovations in 1813 and 1909, in the 20th century and between 2007 and 2008. During the most recent renovation the original timer frame structure of the walls was uncovered, the roof was renovated, and the remains of the paintings dating from the early 20th century were revealed in the interior.

Description

The church was built on the basis of a timber frame structure with brick infills. It is an aisleless church closed off on three sides from the east. The building is covered with a multi-hipped roof with a steeple jutting out from the roof ridge. Tall rectangular windows provide additional illumination of the church. The main entrance is located in the western wall. The interior of the church, covered with a wooden beamed ceiling, features elements of the historical decor: a wooden western gallery resting on eight pillars and a ceramic floor, probably from the 19th century, with fixed plaques with inscriptions. The historical fixtures and fittings include 18th-century benches and an altar dated to 1596.

Limited access to the monument. Viewing of the church interior is only possible by prior telephone arrangement.

Compiled by dr Krzysztof Garbacz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 03-07-2014 r.

Bibliography

  • Szymańska-Dereń M., Kościoły zrębowe i szkieletowe województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2009, s. 130-132.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1749 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Witaszkowo
  • Location: Voivodeship lubuskie, district krośnieński, commune Gubin
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area