Railway node (railway station buildings complex), Węgorzewo
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Railway node (railway station buildings complex)

Węgorzewo

photo

Developed complex of architecturally and functionally diverse historic railway buildings (including: station, steam locomotive depot, water towers, residential buildings, control station). An example of railway construction solutions characteristic for the region from the turn of the 19th/20th century with historic and technical value. A Railway Museum functions in the station building.

History

Railway node began to be formed since 1898, which was connected with launching of the connection to Nordenburg and in the following year from Gierdawy (currently Żeleznodorożnyj), through Węgorzewo to Gołdap. The extenstion of the railway station established at that time lasted until 1914; among others, in 1900-1905 residential buildings were erected, in 1909 a water tower by Jaracza street, in later phase expedition was developed. During the inter-war period also the station was expanded. The increase in the importance of the railway node in Węgorzewo was connected with launching of subsequent connections: in 1905 the line Giżycko-Kruklanki-Węgorzewo was put into use, in 1907 - Kętrzyn-Węgorzewo, in 1914 the last connection from Węgorzewo through Ołownik to Darkiejmy and Gąbin was launched. During the First World War a railway bridge on Węgorap located in the direct neighbourhood of the station was damaged. In the inter-war period the railway node was modernised. Until 1945 the station in Węgorzewo was one of the second class stations.After the end of the Second World War railway tracks on the route Węgorzewo-Kętrzyn were dismantled by the Red Army. Also other connections coming out of Węgorzewo were stopped. At the turn of 1940s/1950s the connections to Kętrzyn were re-launched. On 30 May 1992 the last passenger train on this route left on schedule. In 2000 also the freight trains traffic was stopped. In the 1990s one of the water towers was dismantled as well as the sheds by the descents to the tunnel joining the quays; earlier also the turntable and part of railway tracks. Presently there is a Museum of Railway Tradition in the station building, organised by “Our Heritage” Foundation, which present the railway history of the area of former Eastern Prussia and of the present Warmińsko-Mazurskie Voivodeship and Suwalszczyzna.

Description

Railway node (railway station) complex is located in the north-western part of the city, on the northern side of Jaracza street constituting an exit road from Węgorzewo in the direction of Kętrzyn. The border of the complex is demarcated from the West by a water channel, and by a level crossing from the east. Among historic structures there are for example the buildings at Jaracza street:Railway node buildings complex consists of a passenger and freight tracks layout, with ramps, quays and underground passage, shipping building and control room, and three building complexes: a station one in the central part (station with auxiliary buildings), residential one on the West (residential buildings with utilty buildings and water tower with pumping station) and steam locomotive depot in the northern one (steam locomotive depot, with workshops, water tower and dormitory). Within the borders of the complex there is also the control room and historically preserved hydrant (decorative, signed by the name of the manufacturer Bopp&Reuter – Mannheim) and a small shelter of 1944. Also some of the tracks with railroad ties were preserved historically, signed (Krupp Thussen) and dated (1933, 1938). The architecture of the railway station buildings is historicising, no-style part.

Accessible historic complex. Some of the structures are accessible from the outside (including private residential houses and unused water towers). Museum in the railway station building is open seasonally; sightseeing is possible upon prior contact with the managing foundation. http://www.fdn.org.pl/kontakt.php

Compiled by Maurycy Domino



Bibliography

  • Karty ewidencyjne zabytków architektury i budownictwa, Węgorzewo - węzeł kolejowy, oprac. Żywiczyński A. (1996), Madziara J., Broniewska A. (1999), Jasiński S. (2002), Ulatowska U. [b.r.w.], archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków w Olsztynie Delegatura w Ełku
  • Piątkowski A., Kolej Wschodnia w latach 1842 - 1880. Z dziejów transportu kolejowego na Pomorzu Wschodnim, Olsztyn 1996, s. 47, 49, 169, 171, 173.

General information

  • Type: public building
  • Chronology: 1898-1914
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Jaracza , Węgorzewo
  • Location: Voivodeship warmińsko-mazurskie, district węgorzewski, commune Węgorzewo - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area