Filial Church of St. John the Baptist, Wędrynia
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Filial Church of St. John the Baptist

Wędrynia

photo

The seventeenth-century church in Wędrynia is picturesquely situated on the bank of a pond, and its varied and proportionate body is a traditional feature in the landscape of the village. It is located on the boundary between the Kluczbork district and the Olesno district, in the area of the voivodeship that features the largest number of examples of wooden sacred architecture.

History

The first mention of a Catholic church in Wędrynia dates back to 1447; the present church was erected at the turn of the 17th century to the 18th century (Herbert Dienwiebel gives the dates: 1679-1719). The tower was built in 1818. The northern masonry entrance gate bears the date "1861" indicating the year of its construction or renovation of the church (construction of the western porch?). In 1959, a foundation was built extending about 50 cm above the ground level and the interior was modernized. The church serves as a filial church of the parish of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus in Chudoba (Lasowice Wielkie commune).

Description

The church is oriented towards the east, situated about 130 m south of the main rural road, by a vast pond supplied with the waters of the Budkowiczanka river. The plot surrounded by a wooden fence is occupied by a cemetery and overgrown with old trees.

The church consists of a chancel closed off on three sides, a rectangular nave with an adjacent porch to the west, and a large sacristy to the north. The nave and the chancel are covered with saddle roofs, with pronounced eaves. The sacristy is topped with a tall hip roof with an extended western plane and a wooden trough running on the side of the chancel. The western gable is surmounted by an added quadrangular turret, covered with a hip roof with sinusoidal planes. A hexagonal steeple turret covered with a bulbous cupola is embedded in the central part of the nave roof. A shed rooflet runs around the church at the level of the window sills.

The church was built as a log structure, reinforced with clamps, on a tall foundation erected at a later time, while the tower and the port feature a post-and-beam structure with side stiffeners. The roofs and walls above the rooflet are clad with wood shingles, and the façades of the tower and porch with vertically positioned boards. The lintel of the western entrance to the nave is adorned with decorative volutes and characterised by a pronounced profile.

The interior is covered with a flat beamed ceiling with floral and geometric murals. The straight rood beam is supported by angle braces, currently covered with a cladding. In the western part of the nave, there is a modern gallery resembling a dovetail in outline, supported by six wooden posts, which also support the structure of the tower.

The fixtures and fittings of the tower are mostly designed in Late Baroque style (main altar, pulpit, paintings) or Gothic Revival style (side altar). The Baroque door joiner has been partially preserved.

The monument is open to visitors. Viewing of the interior is possible by prior telephone arrangement.

compiled by Ewa Kalbarczyk-Klak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 17-12-2014.

Bibliography

  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, vol. VII, Województwo opolskie, issue 10: powiat oleski, T. Chrzanowski and M. Kornecki (eds.), pp. 31-32.
  • Emmerling D., Wierzgoń A., Opolskie kościoły drewniane, Opole 2006, p. 75.
  • Lutsch H., Verzeichnis der Kunstdenkmäler der Provinz Schlesien, Bd. 4: Die Kunstdenkmäler des Reg.-Bezirks Oppeln, T. 2, Breslau 1894, p. 257.
  • Architectural monument record sheet: Filial Church of St. John the Baptist, Wędrynia, prepared by J. Sawiński, 2005, Archives of the Voivodeship Monuments Protection Office in Opole.
  • Dienwiebel H., Oberschlesische Schrottholzkirchen, Breslau 1938, p. 56, 87.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: XVII/XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Wędrynia
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district kluczborski, commune Lasowice Wielkie
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area