Gwiezdno Castle, also called Sternburg and Star Castle, Warta Bolesławiecka
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Gwiezdno Castle, also called Sternburg and Star Castle

Warta Bolesławiecka

photo

A typical example of defensive architecture from the Late Middle Ages.

Location and description

The archeological site is located on Pogórze Kaczawskie, to the south-west of the village, by a dirt road, near the edge of a forest, by Złoty Potok (the Golden Brook).

Section of the walls, several meters high, ramparts, and a moat have survived to this day.

History

A watchtower may already have existed at this site in the 13th century. In the 15th century, a stone castle was erected. It is presumed that the castle did not exist at the beginning of the 15th century, as it was not listed in the fief of 1407. It is said that the first known owner of the castle was the knight Burgold von Stiebitz (15th century). This information is doubted by some researchers. It is known with certainty that Warta Bolesławiecka was a seat of knights as early as in the 15th century (the knights mentioned by name include: in 1340 — Hentschelinus de Wartha, in 1370 — brothers Wikhold and Kuntschke „of Warta,” in 1397 — cousins Kuntschke and Hannos; however, it has not been determined which knightly family they belonged to). The castle diminished in importance after 1540, when the contemporary owners of the lands — the Zedlitz family — built a new seat in Warta Bolesławiecka. The castle was still inhabited in 1579, but it was soon abandoned and fell into ruin.

Condition and results of archaeological research

Visual examinations and a surface survey enabled a preliminary determination of the original appearance of the castle. The nearly square (19 x 21.5 m) complex was located at the bottom of a streat valley, on an artificial hill surrounded by ramparts and a moat. The entrance to the castle was probably located on the north side. It can be assumed that there was a wooden residential building adjoining the west wall inside (ceiling beam wall spaces, a small, narrow window, and traces of plaster have been preserved). The wall was built of sandstone blocks.

The historic monument is accessible. The castle is located on Złoty Szlak Rowerowy [the Golden Bike Route].

compiled by Donata Trenkler, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wroclaw, 14-09-2014.

Bibliography

  • Archeologiczne Zdjęcie Polski, obszar 77-15, karta 5/22.
  • Chorowska M., Dudziak T., Jaworski K., Kwaśniewski A., Zamki i dwory obronne w Sudetach, t. 2: Księstwo jaworskie, Wrocław 2009, s. 226-230.
  • Kajzer L., Kołodziejski S., Salm J., Leksykon zamków w Polsce, Warszawa 2002, s. 532.

General information

  • Type: castle
  • Chronology: XV - XVI w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Warta Bolesławiecka
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district bolesławiecki, commune Warta Bolesławiecka
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area