Parish church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Warta Bolesławiecka
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Warta Bolesławiecka

photo

Built during the late 14th/early 15th century, the church retains evident Late Gothic traits despite having been redesigned on a number of occasions. Surrounded by an old cemetery circumscribed by a stone wall, it remains an excellent example of a small church of the kind once common in the Silesian countryside.

History

The church was built in the late 14th/early 15th century. It was subsequently redesigned towards the end of the 15th century (possibly in 1482) or in the early 16th century, when it has attained its current form. Various Baroque elements were subsequently added in the early 18th century, while years 1819-21 and 1872 saw various modernisation works taking place.

Description

The church is situated in the central part of the village; it is surrounded by a cemetery. The church is designed in the Gothic style; oriented towards the east, it was envisaged as a small, aisleless structure, made of brick and split stone. The church consists of a number of segments arranged in an additive fashion - the main body with walls reinforced with buttresses, the rectangular chancel and the tower adjoining the nave to the west. The main body is covered with a gable roof, whereas the tower features a bulbous cupola clad with sheet metal. A small porch, designed in the Gothic Revival style and a chapel annex adjoin the main body to the south and the north respectively, both featuring separate gable roof positioned perpendicularly towards the main roof. A sacristy annex positioned next to the chapel adjoins the chancel to the north; the annex is covered by an extension of the northern slope of the roof covering the chancel. The façades are covered with plaster, with the tower walls featuring articulation based on the use of decorative framing. The windows have a slightly elongated shape and are topped with semi-circular arches (with the exception of the chancel windows, which feature segmental arches instead); all windows are positioned in deep niches framed with plain surrounds. The chancel gable wall features a single lancet window with stone tracery, partly blocked in its lower part. The main entrance at the ground floor level of the tower to the west is topped with a semicircular arch and framed with a plain portal flanked by a pair of Baroque statues standing on plinths, portraying St John of Nepomuk and St Eligius. Inside, the church features a flat ceiling with a decorative crown moulding; the chancel, on the other hand, has a vaulted ceiling (lierne vault). A pipe organ gallery dating back to ca. 1820 can be seen inside the nave, supported by stout pillars made of stone. The church fixtures and fittings include the main altarpiece from 1718, incorporating a painting of the Virgin Mary with Child by Joseph Carl Rabe from Dresden (1821), two side altarpiece from the 1st half of the 18th century, a pulpit from the early 18th century (subsequently modernised in 1818) and a stone baptismal font from 1569. Inside the chapel there is a stone tomb slab (ledger stone) dedicated to Anna Barbara von Sommerfeld née von Reibnitz (died 1661). North of the church, within the limits of the surrounding burial ground, stands the Classicist tomb chapel of the von Frankenberg and von Tulechow families.

The church is open during church service. For more information, please contact the parish office.

compiled by Piotr Roczek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 11-06-2015.

Bibliography

  • Słownik Geografii Turystycznej Sudetów. Vol. 7 Pogórze Kaczawskie, M. Staffa (ed.), Wrocław 2002, pp. 609-610,
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, pp. 917-918.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: przełom XIV i XV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Warta Bolesławiecka
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district bolesławiecki, commune Warta Bolesławiecka
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area